Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortellini Soup
I’ve been on a major soup-making kick lately. I love making soup because it’s easy and makes enough for plenty of meals to come. Planned leftovers are my friend.
My soup recipes are usually done in about a half hour and this one is no exception.
I used my Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup as the base and swapped out egg noodles for cheese tortellini.
It has all the comforting qualities you want in classic chicken noodle soup but with the unexpected twist of cheesy, tender tortellini.
There’s sweet Vialia onions, carrots, celery, thyme, oregano, and parsley to add texture and depth of flavor amidst all the juicy chicken and tortellini.
To save time, use storebought rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken that you have on hand. Of course you can roast or pan sauté chicken if you prefer.
Make sure to salt your soup to taste. I use low-sodium chicken broth and add a bit of salt to my soup so I can control the overall salt level. The saltiness of the chicken broth, rotisserie chicken, and tortellini all vary, as do personal preferences, so salt to taste.
Easy 30-Minute Chicken Tortellini Soup
I love making soup because it's easy, makes enough for plenty of meals to come, and this one is ready in 30 minutes. It has all the comforting qualities you want in classic chicken noodle soup but with the unexpected twist of cheesy, tender tortellini. There's sweet Vialia onions, carrots, celery, thyme, oregano, and parsley to add texture and depth of flavor amidst all the juicy chicken and tortellini. To save time, use storebought rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken. Make sure to salt your soup to taste.
Yield: about 10 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: about 20 minutes
Total Time: about 30 minutes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, peeled and diced small (about 1 large onion)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced into thin rounds (about 2 large carrots)
- 1 cup celery, diced small (about 2 large stalks)
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 64 ounces (8 cups) low-sodium chicken broth
- 10 ounces cheese tortellini
- 2 to 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (use storebought rotisserie chicken to save time; or roast or cook your own chicken in a skillet)
- 1/3 cup fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley leaves (stems discarded), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- To a large Dutch oven or stockpot, add the oil, onion, carrots, celery, and sauté over medium-high head for about 7 to 10 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, tortellini, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, pepper, and bring to a boil. Allow mixture to boil gently for about 5 to 6 minutes or until tortellini are tender and cooked through. Stir intermittently. At any time while making the soup, if the overall liquid level is lower than you like and you prefer more broth, adding a cup or two of extra chicken broth or water is okay. At the end you will adjust the salt level.
- Add the chicken, parsley, optional lemon juice (brightens up the flavor), and boil 1 to 2 minutes, or until chicken is warmed through. Taste soup and add salt to taste. I added about 1 teaspoon but this will vary based on how salty the chicken broth, rotisserie chicken, and tortellini are, and personal preference. Make any necessary seasoning adjustments (i.e. more salt, pepper, herbs, etc.), remove the bay leaves, and serve immediately. Soup will keep airtight in the fridge for 5 to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Adapted from Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup – Classic, comforting, and tastes just like grandma made but way easier and faster! This soup is amazing and it’ll be your new favorite classic chicken noodle soup recipe!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup – Chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, and addictively crunchy tortilla strips! Fast, easy weeknight meal, and better than from a restaurant!
Immune-Boosting Vegetable Soup and Broth – (vegan, GF) – Easy soup that’s healthy, nourishing, and keeps you healthy! Bye-bye germs!
Loaded Cheesy Chicken Potato Chowder – Potatoes, chicken, carrots, corn and more! Thick, creamy, rich, and wonderfully cheesy! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade White Chicken Chili – Hearty, healthy, loaded with tender chicken, and packed with bold flavor! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves! It’ll be on rotation all winter!
The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup (Better-Than-Panera Copycat) – Make the best soup of your life at home in 1 hour! Beyond words amazing!
Creamy Tomato Soup (vegan, GF) – Panera copycat that’s fast, easy, and healthy!
Roasted Carrot and Red Pepper Peanut Soup (vegan, GF) – Thick, rich, and loaded with smoky flavors!
Creamy Vegan Corn and Red Pepper Blender Soup (gluten-free, soy-free, no added salt) – Ready in 5 minutes and packed with flavor!
Sweet Potato Red Pepper and Coconut Milk Soup (vegan, GF) – Ready in 10 minutes and so thick and satisfying!
Skinny Carrot Potato Soup with Honey Cream – Healthy, hearty, fast, and easy! Packed with flavor and you’ll never miss the fat and calories!