Beer and Bourbon Barbecue Chicken Sliders
Wondering what to make for your next party?
These easy chicken sliders that are ready in 25 minutes will do the trick. They’ll be great for Fourth of July, Labor Day, holiday parties, tailgating, and game days.
The chicken is braised in beer and bourbon before being shredded and tossed with barbecue sauce. I used a sweeter barbecue sauce (Carolina Gold from Trader Joe’s) but use your favorite. Try a spicy barbecue sauce if you want a kick.
Beer does a wonderful job of tenderizing meat as well as adding subtle flavor and this chicken is a perfect example of beer at work. Put your beer to work for you.
The chicken is ridiculously tender, juicy, moist, and the sliders will be a guaranteed hit with everyone.
My family loves pickles and the tangy, crunchy pickles are a great contrast to the tender chicken.
Beer and Bourbon Barbecue Chicken Sliders
These easy chicken sliders are ready in 25 minutes and are great for Fourth of July, Labor Day, holiday parties, tailgating, and game days. The chicken is braised in beer and bourbon before being shredded and tossed with barbecue sauce. Try a spicy barbecue sauce if you want a kick. Beer does a wonderful job of tenderizing meat as well as adding subtle flavor and this chicken is a perfect example of beer at work. The chicken is ridiculously tender, juicy, moist, and the sliders will be a guaranteed hit with everyone. Tangy, crunchy pickles are a great contrast to the tender chicken.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 12 ounces lager beer (or your favorite beer, I used Sam Adams)
- 2 tablespoons bourbon or whiskey, optional but strongly recommended
- about 1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- about 10 to 12 slider buns, lightly toasted if desired
- sliced pickles, optional for garnishing
- To a large skillet, add the olive oil, chicken, evenly season with salt and pepper, and cook over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes on each side, or until chicken is seared and lightly browned on both sides.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the beer (use caution because it will bubble up), optional bourbon or whiskey, and simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through; flip a couple times to ensure even cooking. Remove chicken from pan and allow it to cool momentarily; save beer cooking liquid.
- Using two forks or your hands, shred the chicken into a large bowl.
- Add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the beer cooking liquid (the more you add, the more beer flavor that’ll be present); discard remainder.
- Add the barbecue sauce and stir to coat evenly.
- Add about 1/4 cup chicken to each slider bun, optionally top with pickles, and serve immediately. Chicken is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Caramelized Onion and Portobello Mushroom Sliders with Fry Sauce – Meatless comfort food at its finest! Hearty, satisfying and so good!
Baked Spicy Barbecue Chicken Wings – The easiest wings ever because there’s NO frying involved!! And they’re healthier this way, too! Tender, juicy, with just the right amount of kick! Perfect for parties and game days!
One-Pan Barbecue Chicken and Roasted Sweet Potatoes – Juicy chicken and tender potatoes roasted on one pan! The barbecue sauce keeps everything super moist and flavorful! Fast, easy, and zero cleanup!
Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Kabobs – Juicy chicken and crisp vegetables coated in a sweet-and-tangy sauce! Great for parties or easy weeknight dinners! Everything tastes better grilled!
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken – The easiest orange chicken ever because your slow cooker does all the work! Super juicy, tender, and coated with a sweet-yet-tangy orange glaze that’s irresistible!
Easy 30-Minute Chicken Fajitas – Make restaurant-style fajitas at home in just 30 minutes! Juicy chicken, caramelized onions, and bell peppers pack so much flavor! This easy recipe will go into your regular rotation!
Better-Than-Takeout Cashew Chicken – Juicy chicken, crisp-tender vegetables, and crunchy cashews coated with the best garlicky soy sauce! Skip takeout and make your own restaurant-quality meal that’s easy, ready in 20 minutes, and healthier!