Easy Loaded Chicken Tostadas
Marrying loaded nachos and chicken quesadillas is what I think these tostadas taste like.
AKA totally perfect. And my whole family agreed. We love Mexican food.
The tostadas are easy, ready in 20 minutes, and packed with so much flavor and texture galore.
They’re perfect for parties, snacks, or to break out of your dinner rut. Make them for Cinco de Mayo or Memorial Day.
Crispy fried tortilla shells are topped with a refried bean and salsa mixture before adding ground chicken that’s cooked with bell peppers, onions, garlic, and seasoned with cumin and more salsa.
Then add cheese. Yum. I used queso fresco which is a traditional Mexican cheese that I can find at my regular grocery store or use your favorite shredded Mexican cheese blend.
And since toppings are my jam, I finished the tostadas with avocado, green onions, cilantro, and a little more salsa. Restraint? What’s that.
They live up to their loaded name.
Easy Loaded Chicken Tostadas
Marrying loaded nachos and chicken quesadillas is what I think these tostadas taste like. Easy, ready in 20 minutes, and packed with so much flavor and texture galore They're perfect for parties, snacks, or to break out of your dinner rut. Crispy fried tortilla shells are topped with a refried bean and salsa mixture before adding ground chicken that's cooked with bell peppers, onions, garlic, and seasoned with cumin, more salsa, and cheese. They're finished with avocado, green onions, cilantro, and a little more salsa.
Yield: serves about 6
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: about 10 minutes
Total Time: about 20 minutes
- 4 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil, divided; plus more if necessary
- 6 flour tortillas OR one package storebought tostados (located next to tortilla shells)
- 1 pound ground chicken (ground turkey may be substituted)
- 1 small sweet vidalia onion, diced small
- one medium/large red bell pepper, seeded and diced small (another color may be substituted)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- about 1 1/2 cups red salsa, divided; plus more for serving if desired
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- one 16-ounce can refried black beans or refried beans
- 1 cup diced or crumbled queso fresco or Mexican shredded cheese blend
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and diced into small chunks, optional for garnishing
- 1/4 cup finely minced fresh cilantro and/or thinly sliced green onions, optional for garnishing
- To a large skillet, add 2 tablespoons oil and heat over medium-high heat until hot. OR use storebought tostados and skip to step 3.
- Add one tortilla to the hot oil and cook 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown and crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain; repeat with remaining 5 tortillas.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to skillet, add the ground chicken, and cook until done, about 4 to 5 minutes; crumble chicken and stir intermittently to ensure even cooking.
- Add the onions, bell peppers, and cook for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender; stir occasionally. While cooking, if the mixture looks dry, add another tablespoon or two of oil if necessary.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add about 3/4 cups salsa and evenly sprinkle with cumin, salt, pepper, and cook for about 2 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, to a medium microwave-safe bowl, add the beans and remaining 3/4 cup salsa or as necessary for consistency (all salsas and refried beans vary in thickness and texture so add salsa to taste so bean mixture is spreadable). Heat on high power until warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- Evenly spread and distribute the bean mixture over the tortillas, about 1/3 cup per tortilla or to taste.
- Evenly top with chicken, cheese, optional avocado, cilantro/green onions, additional salsa if desired, and serve immediately once assembled. Extra chicken will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days; as will extra beans/salsa mixture stored separately in an airtight container in the fridge.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Easy Six-Layer Baked Taco Cups – Fast, easy, and accidentally healthy! Your favorite taco fixings in individually-portioned cups! So fun!
Lightened Up Corn and Bean Quesadillas with Avocado-Mango-Chipotle Salsa (vegetarian/vegan option) – You don’t have to derail your diet to enjoy hearty and satisfying comfort food! This version is only about 300 calories and ready in 15 minutes!
Healthy Beefy Tacos (vegan) – Just like the real thing but a million times healthier! So good, hearty and taste JUST like the real deal!
Baked Triple Cheese and Salsa Tortilla Chip Dip (GF) – Loaded with 3 kinds of cheese and baked to browned, bubbly, golden perfection! Always a hit at parties!
Cheese, Black Beans, and Corn-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Avocado Crema (vegan) – A healthy meal that’s easy, ready in 15 minutes, satisfying, and doesn’t taste like health food!
Loaded BBQ Chicken Nugget Nachos (with vegan/GF option) – Chicken nuggets coated in BBQ sauce with loads of cheese! Perfect and easy party food!
Loaded Guacamole Nachos – Fresh, easy homemade guac on top of cheesy chips is totally irresistible!
Easy Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa – Make your own salsa in minutes! Fast, easy, goofproof and tastes 1000x better than anything you’d buy!
Do-It-Yourself Guacamole Bar – Make your own guacamole bar and have fun taste-testing the options! Great party idea that everyone loves!