In just those three categories, I have over 100 recipes on my site. Yes, I’m a banana fiend when they’re baked into something.
Banana muffins that could pass for dessert, that are studded with chocolate chips, and that are topped with streusel make me very happy to eat ‘breakfast’.
The muffins can pass as a healthy dessert because there’s fruit included. That’s how my brain works.
Seriously though they’re wonderfully light and fluffy in the interior and the streusel on top is slightly crunchy. So good.
My daughter was eating at least 3 at a sitting until they were gone. Preteen metabolism how I miss thee.
They’re perfect for breakfast, brunch, snacks, desserts, or anytime you have ripe bananas to use.
I had enough batter for 12 full-sized muffins and one mini loaf. If you don’t have a mini loaf pan, the recipe will make about 14 muffins. Since two muffin pans don’t easily fit in my oven, I went the mini loaf route.
Pin This Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/3 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/4 cup sour cream (lite okay; Greek yogurt may be substituted)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold
- cinnamon, optional for sprinkling
- Muffins – Preheat oven to 350F and line a 12-count muffin pan (and 1 mini loaf pan if necessary) with liners; set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the the first five ingredients (through baking powder) and whisk to combine; set aside.
- To a separate bowl, add the bananas and mash. Add the oil, sour cream, egg, vanilla, and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until moistened and combined; don’t overmix.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Dollop batter into muffin cups, filling each 3/4-full; set aside. Note – I had enough batter for 12 muffins and 1 mini loaf.
- Streusel– To a large bowl, add the sugars, flour, and cut the butter in using two forks until pea-sized crumbles form.
- Evenly sprinkle the streusel over the muffins and bake for about 22 to 25 minutes or until done. Allow pan to cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes before removing muffins. Optionally sprinkle with cinnamon before serving. Muffins are best warm and fresh but extra will keep airtight at room temp for up to 5 days.
Adapted from Taste of Home
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 315Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 216mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 2gSugar: 35gProtein: 4g
Favorite Banana Bread Recipes
Favorite Banana Muffin Recipes
Chocolate Banana Crinkle Muffins – Have ripe bananas to use? Make these easy, no mixer chocolate beauties! Best.muffin.tops.EVER!
Flourless Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Mini Blender Muffins (GF) – No refined sugar, flour, oil, and only 75 calories! They taste amazing!
Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Mini Blender Muffins – Gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free, dairy-free, oil-free, refined sugar-free, and under 100 calories each
Banana Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins (vegan) – You’ll never complain about eating your vegetables again! Soft, healthy, so good!
Fluffy Vegan Coconut Oil Banana Muffins – Soft and fluffy healthier muffins that you’ll never believe are made without eggs or butter!