Chickpea and Kale Thai Coconut Curry
This post may contain affiliate links.
Chickpea and Kale Thai Coconut Curry – An EASY one-skillet vegan curry that’s ready in 15 minutes and has AMAZING Thai-inspired flavors!! Low-cal, low-carb, and HEALTHY but tastes like hearty comfort food!!
When I had a recent curry craving, I married those two recipes and came up with this new curry that I couldn’t stop eating. I couldn’t pick a favorite from the three of them.
It’s supremely easy, ready in 15 minutes, vegan and gluten-free, but you’d never guess because it’s hearty, comforting, and keeps you satisfied for hours.
Sweet Vidalia onions, carrots, chickpeas, and kale are simmered in a coconut-milk based sauce with Thai red curry paste, garlic, ginger, and corriander added to it.
Thai red curry paste adds a very different flavor profile than curry powder (Indian) has and I find Thai curry to be smoother and richer, but if all you have is curry powder, go for it knowing that the flavor of Thai versus Indian curry products is vastly different and your dish won’t taste like mine.
As with all curry pastes and powders, they vary in intensity and everyone’s preferences for spice and heat vary, so adjust to taste. I used almost 4 rounded tablespoons and I wouldn’t call it spicy but very flavorful. My 11-year-old wasn’t at all phased by it but we enjoy spicy food.
If you have extra veggies you want to incorporate including cauliflower, bell peppers, canned tomatoes, sugar snap peas, or edamame, add them when you add the coconut milk and carrots.
I added a generous 2 tablespoons of lime juice and I love the prominent lime undercurrent the dish takes on, especially with the fresh cilantro since they compliment each other and the curry beautifully, but add less to taste if you’re not as into lime as I am.
- 2 to 3 tablespoons coconut oil (olive oil may be substituted)
- 1 large/extra-large sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, diced small
- 3 to 5 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground ginger or 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- one 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (I used no-salt added)
- one 14-ounce can coconut milk (I used lite
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 to 4 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- about 3 to 4 cups fresh kale, torn into pieces with center ribs removed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar, optional and to taste
- about 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped for garnishing (basil may be substituted)
- 1 to 2 green onions sliced into thin rounds for garnishing, optional
- rice, quinoa, or naan, optional for serving
- To a large skillet, add the oil, onion, and sauté over medium-high heat until the onion begins to soften about 5 minutes; stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic, ginger, coriander, and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant; stir frequently.
- Add the chickpeas, coconut milk, carrots, Thai curry paste, salt, pepper, and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium, and allow mixture to gently boil for about 5 minutes, or until liquid volume has reduced and thickened somewhat.
- Add the kale and cover the skillet with a lid to encourage the kale to melt, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir to incorporate the kale.
- Add the lime juice, optional brown sugar, and stir to combine. Taste and if desired, add additional curry paste, salt, pepper, etc. to taste.
- Evenly sprinkle with the cilantro, optional green onions, and serve immediately. Curry is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 835Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 30gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 1258mgCarbohydrates: 99gFiber: 20gSugar: 21gProtein: 28g
Thai Chicken Coconut Curry – An easy one-skillet curry that’s ready in 20 minutes and is layered with so many fabulous flavors!! Low-cal, low-carb, and HEALTHY but tastes like comfort food!!
Sweet Potato and Chickpea Coconut Curry – An easy one-skillet curry that’s ready in 30 minutes and is layered with so many fabulous flavors! Healthy comfort food that tastes amazing!
Crock-Pot® Pressure Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala – Make this Indian favorite at home in 30 minutes! Juicy chicken is coated with an ultra flavorful creamy sauce! You don’t need to go to a restaurant because this easy recipe tastes better!
Chickpea and Kale Glow Bowl with Dreamy Tahini Dressing – Fast, easy, accidentally vegan and gluten-free! Keeps you satisfied and glowing from the inside out! The zippy dressing lives up to its dreamy name!
Cheesy Roasted Chickpeas and Broccoli – Fast, easy, healthy, and keeps you full and satisfied! Vegan and gluten-free doesn’t have to be boring! Perfect lunch, hearty side, or meatless main! You’re going to love the cheesy touch!
Thai Coconut Chicken Stir Fry – Chicken, sugar snap peas, bell peppers, and carrots simmered in a rich coconut milk broth that’s irresistible! Layers of flavor, easy, ready in 20 minutes, and healthy!
Thai Peanut Chicken Salad – Eat the rainbow with this easy, healthy salad that’s ready in 20 minutes! Juicy chicken and crisp vegetables are tossed in the best peanut sauce ever!
Tropical Chickpea Salad – Pineapple, mango, pineapple salsa, and pico de gallo tossed with chickpeas for a salad that tastes like a tropical vacation! Easy, ready in 5 minutes, loaded with sweet-yet-savory flavor, and so healthy!
Roasted Curried Cauliflower and Chickpea Salad – An easy, healthy, lettuce-less salad with roasted curried cauliflower and chickpeas as the stars! Topped with raisins, pistachios, cilantro, and a delish tangy Greek yogurt dressing!
Curry Coconut Oil Sweet Potato Fries with Cucumber Dill Dip – A fast and flavorful twist on sweet potatoes! The warming notes of the curry are perfectly offset by the cooling dip! Comfort food that’s healthy and easy!
Easy Chicken Shawarma Salad Bowls – An easy version of chicken shawarma that’s fast, healthy, and delish!! Fragrant spices, juicy lemony chicken, fresh veggies, and a tangy Greek-yogurt sauce that’s cooling and perfect!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.