Coconut Lime Chicken and Sweet Potato Curry
This post may contain affiliate links.
Coconut Lime Chicken and Sweet Potato Curry – An EASY, one-skillet curry that’s ready in 20 minutes and tastes BETTER than a restaurant!! Juicy chicken and tender sweet potatoes simmer in a lime-scented coconut milk sauce that tastes AMAZING! Healthy comfort food!!
What’s In The Curry
There’s sweet Vidalia onion, sweet potatoes, and chicken that simmer in a mixture of creamy coconut milk that’s spiced with garlic, ginger, coriander, and Thai red curry paste before adding lime zest and lime juice.
Fresh cilantro and the lime elements really add a pop of tangy freshness and balance the warming flavors of the ginger, coriander, and red curry paste.
If you have extra veggies or beans you want to incorporate such as cauliflower, bell peppers, tomatoes, edamame, or chickpeas, go for it. I would add them when you add the coconut milk.
What Does The Curry Taste Like
It’s hearty yet healthy comfort food that’s layered with Thai-inspired flavors. The lime-coconut milk sauce is so slurpable and keeps the chicken so juicy and moist. I used lite coconut milk but for an even richer and more luxurious sauce, use full fat.
There is heat from the ginger and the Thai red curry paste. I love its smooth and rich flavor profile and don’t find the paste to be overly spicy, but as a caveat, I adore spicy food. If you don’t, scale back the amount of curry paste you use. Start with 1 to 2 tablespoons, and work up from there.
While there’s natural sweetness from the sweet Vidalia onions, the buttery tender sweet potatoes, and the coconut milk, the lime zest and lime juice add the perfect acidic notes to balance the flavors.
With cold weather upon us, nothing is better than diving into this curry that’s ready faster than you can call for takeout and tastes just as good as any restaurant. It’s even naturally gluten-free. Feel free to serve it over or alongside rice. Basmati or jasmine rice are great with it.
Favorite Curry Recipes:
- Thai Chicken Coconut Curry – An easy one-skillet curry that’s ready in 20 minutes and is layered with so many fabulous flavors! Low-cal, low-carb, and healthy but tastes like comfort food!
- Sweet Potato and Chickpea Coconut Curry – An easy one-skillet curry that’s ready in 30 minutes and is layered with so many fabulous flavors! Healthy comfort food that tastes amazing!
- Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup – Easy, ready in 30 minutes, healthy, and loaded with flavor! The sweet potatoes, carrots, red peppers, chicken, spinach, cilantro, and coconut milk broth combine to form an amazing soup!
- Chickpea and Kale Thai Coconut Curry – An easy one-skillet vegan curry that’s ready in 15 minutes and has amazing Thai-inspired flavors! Low-cal, low-carb, and healthy but tastes like hearty comfort food!
- Curry Coconut Oil Sweet Potato Fries with Cucumber Dill Dip – A fast and flavorful twist on sweet potatoes! The warming notes of the curry are perfectly offset by the cooling dip! Comfort food that’s healthy and easy!
- 3 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1 large sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, diced small
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 3 to 5 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground ginger or 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 extra-large sweet potato or 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- one 15-ounce can coconut milk (I used lite
- 1/4 cup Thai red curry paste
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lime zest, or to taste
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 to 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely minced
- 2 to 4 tablespoons brown sugar, packed; optional and to taste
- rice for serving, optional
- To a large skillet, add the oil, onion, and sauté over medium-high heat until the onion begins to soften about 5 minutes; stir intermittently.
- Add the chicken and cook to sear for about 2 minutes; flip often to ensure even searing.
- Add the garlic, ginger, coriander, and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant; stir frequently.
- Add the sweet potatoes, coconut milk, Thai curry paste, salt, pepper, and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and allow mixture to gently boil for about 5 minutes. Remove the lid and allow mixture to boil, uncovered, for about 5 minutes or until sweet potatoes are done.
- Add the lime zest, lime juice, cilantro, stir to combine, and taste.
- Optionally or as desired, add brown sugar. I find the brown sugar balances the lime zest and juice and I enjoy some light sweetness but if you do not, omit it. Also, if desired, add additional curry paste, salt, pepper, etc. to taste. Serve immediately and optionally with rice. As time passed I noticed that the overall liquid volume reduced because it absorbed into the chicken and sweet potatoes so if it seems a bit soupy initially, mine was less soups in time. Curry will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 445Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 823mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 3gSugar: 13gProtein: 28g
Favorite CHICKEN RECIPES HERE
Favorite CURRY RECIPES HERE
Thai Chicken Coconut Curry – An EASY one-skillet curry that’s ready in 20 minutes and is layered with so many fabulous flavors!! Low-cal, low-carb, and healthy but tastes like comfort food!
Sweet Potato and Chickpea Coconut Curry – An easy one-skillet curry that’s ready in 30 minutes and is layered with so many fabulous flavors! Healthy comfort food that tastes amazing!
Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup – Easy, ready in 30 minutes, healthy, and loaded with flavor! The sweet potatoes, carrots, red peppers, chicken, spinach, cilantro, and coconut milk broth combine to form an amazing soup!
Chickpea and Kale Thai Coconut Curry – An easy one-skillet vegan curry that’s ready in 15 minutes and has amazing Thai-inspired flavors! Low-cal, low-carb, and healthy but tastes like hearty comfort food!
Crock-Pot® Pressure Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala – Make this Indian favorite at home in 30 minutes! Juicy chicken is coated with an ultra flavorful creamy sauce! You don’t need to go to a restaurant because this easy recipe tastes better!
Roasted Curried Cauliflower and Chickpea Salad – An easy, healthy, lettuce-less salad with roasted curried cauliflower and chickpeas as the stars! Topped with raisins, pistachios, cilantro, and a delish tangy Greek yogurt dressing!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.