Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup
This post may contain affiliate links.
Thai Chicken Coconut Curry Soup — EASY, ready in 30 minutes, HEALTHY, and loaded with FLAVOR!! The sweet potatoes, carrots, red peppers, chicken, spinach, cilantro, and coconut milk broth combine to form an AMAZING soup!!
Thai Coconut Curry Soup with Chicken
I love Thai-inspired dishes because there are so many layers of flavor. I am crazy about all of the different flavors and textures in this easy soup that’s ready in 30 minutes.
There’s sweet Vidalia onion, carrots, red pepper, sweet potatoes, and chicken that cook in a mixture of creamy coconut milk and chicken broth that’s spiced with garlic, ginger, coriander, and Thai red curry paste.
After the soup simmers and the sweet potatoes are tender, add fresh spinach, cilantro, and lime juice for a pop of freshness.
The Thai coconut chicken soup is savory, just salty enough, there’s natural sweetness from the sweet Vidalia onions, carrots, red pepper, and coconut milk. There’s perfect acid balance from lime juice and a very gentle heat from the ginger and Thai red curry paste. All the bases are covered.
The coconut curry chicken soup is hearty yet healthy because there are plenty of vegetables and it keeps you full for hours.
What’s in Thai Chicken Coconut Curry Soup?
To make this Thai coconut chicken soup, you’ll need:
- Coconut oil
- Yellow onion
- Shredded carrots
- Red bell pepper
- Chicken breasts
- Ground ginger
- Ground coriander
- Thai red curry paste
- Sweet potatoes
- Coconut milk
- Chicken broth
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime juice
How to Make Thai Chicken Coconut Curry Soup
Sauté the veggies until slightly softened, then add the chicken and cook until seared (it’s okay if it’s not fully cooked through at this point). Add the garlic, ginger, coriander, and Thai red curry paste and cook until fragrant.
Next, add in the sweet potatoes, coconut milk, broth, salt, and pepper and let the mixture simmer until the potatoes have softened.
Stir in the remaining ingredients and let cook until the spinach has wilted.
Can I Omit the Chicken?
The Thai coconut curry soup is naturally gluten-free and if you want to make it vegan, simply omit the chicken.
Tips for Making Thai Coconut Curry Soup
I love the silkiness of the broth because there are two cans of coconut milk. I used lite, but for an even richer and more luxurious soup, use full-fat. I could sip on the broth all day long.
I used Thai red curry paste for its smooth and rich flavor profile. I don’t find the paste to be overly spicy as I used it in this recipe, but as a caveat, I adore spicy food.
I used about 1/4 cup curry paste, which some people may think sounds like a lot but there are also 32 ounces chicken broth, 30 ounces of coconut milk, a pound of chicken, two large sweet potatoes, carrots, red pepper, and spinach to flavor. You can always start with less and add more to taste, if desired later.
If desired, add garbanzo beans for some extra protein. At that point it’s very reminiscent of this Sweet Potato and Chickpea Coconut Curry which is a personal favorite.
- 3 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1 large sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, diced small
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 3 to 5 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground ginger or 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 cup Thai red curry paste, or to taste (if you’re very sensitive to heat, add 1 tablespoon first and more later if desired)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- two 15-ounce cans coconut milk (I used lite; full-fat will deliver a richer/thicker result)
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves (about 3 heaping handfuls)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lime juice
- To a large skillet, add the oil, onion, and sauté over medium-high heat until the onion begins to soften about 5 minutes; stir intermittently.
- Add the carrots, red pepper, chicken, and cook for for about 3 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften and chicken is seared (does not need to be cooked through); flip and stir often to ensure even cooking.
- Add the garlic, ginger, coriander, Thai red curry paste, and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant; stir frequently.
- Add the sweet potatoes, coconut milk, broth, salt, pepper, and stir to combine. Allow the mixture to gently boil for about 10 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender and done.
- Turn off the heat and add the spinach, cilantro, lime juice, and stir to combine. Stir for about 1 to 2 minutes or until the spinach has wilted.
- Taste and optionally add additional curry paste, salt, pepper, etc. to taste. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 879mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 26g
More Curry Recipes:
Favorite CHICKEN RECIPES HERE
Favorite SWEET POTATO RECIPES HERE
Thai Chicken Coconut Curry – An easy one-skillet curry that’s ready in 20 minutes and is layered with so many fabulous flavors! Low-cal, low-carb, and healthy but tastes like comfort food!
Sweet Potato and Chickpea Coconut Curry – An easy one-skillet curry that’s ready in 30 minutes and is layered with so many fabulous flavors! Healthy comfort food that tastes amazing!
Green Thai Chicken Coconut Curry – An EASY, one-skillet curry that’s ready in 20 minutes and tastes BETTER than from a Thai restaurant!! It’s healthy comfort food that tastes AMAZING!!
Cauliflower, Chickpea, and Chicken Coconut Curry – An EASY, one-skillet curry that’s ready in 20 minutes and tastes BETTER than a restaurant!! The Thai-inspired coconut milk broth makes this healthy comfort food taste AMAZING!!
Coconut Lime Chicken and Sweet Potato Curry – Juicy chicken and tender sweet potatoes simmer in a lime-scented coconut milk sauce that tastes AMAZING! Healthy comfort food!!
Chickpea and Kale Thai Coconut Curry – An EASY one-skillet vegan curry that’s ready in 15 minutes and has AMAZING Thai-inspired flavors!! Low-cal, low-carb, and HEALTHY but tastes like hearty comfort food!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.