Decadent Chocolate Lasagna — A chocolate chip cookie base topped with cream cheese, chocolate pudding, whipped topping, and mini chocolate chips!! An EASY layered dessert that tastes so AMAZING!!
Table of Contents
Easy Chocolate Lasagna Recipe
Chocolate lasagna is an easy, almost no-bake dessert that has so many fabulous layers and textures. You won’t be able to stop eating it! My daughter proclaimed it to be one of the best desserts I’ve made in ages, and friends who I served it to at a little dinner party raved about it.
I’ve seen chocolate lasagna made different ways over the years and many people use an Oreo crust, but I decided to use refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough as my base.
The crust layer is the only baking involved in this luscious dessert, which is a nice bonus. The cookie base is topped with a cream cheese and a layer of whipped topping. It’s creamy, smooth, and adds the perfect amount of tanginess to balance the overall sweetness.
Then there’s a layer of rich chocolate pudding, more whipped topping, and mini chocolate chips. Yes, please!
This chocolate dessert lasagna (aka chocolate chip cookie delight) is served chilled and is so refreshing on a warm day.
It reminds me of icebox cakes or lush-style desserts that despite their caloric heftiness they manage to seem light and creamy enough that you can’t help but straighten the rows right out of the pan with a fork.
Chocolate Lasagna Ingredients
For this chocolatey dessert lasagna recipe, you’ll need just 7 basic ingredients:
- Refrigerated cookie dough
- Cream cheese
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Frozen whipped topping
- Instant chocolate pudding mix
- Mini chocolate chips
Note: Scroll down to the recipe card section of the post for the ingredients with amounts included and for more complete directions.
What if I Can’t Find an Ingredient in my Area?
If you don’t have refrigerated cookie dough, whipped topping, or pudding mix in your area, I can’t suggest what to substitute in their places since this dessert is big on both shortcuts and deliciousness.
How to Make Chocolate Lasagna
Don’t let all the decadent layers fool you into thinking this chocolate lasagna dessert is anything but easy! Here are the basic recipe steps:
- Press the cookie dough into the bottom of a 9×9-inch baking pan. Bake until the cookie layer is a lovely golden brown, then set it aside to cool completely before starting on the next layer.
- Once the cookie layer has cooled, whip together the cream cheese and powdered sugar. Beat in a little of the whipped topping, then spread the mixture over the cookie layer.
- Next, make the instant chocolate pudding according to package instructions (this is where the cold milk comes into play), then spread it over the cream cheese layer.
- Follow that up with another layer of the whipped topping, and sprinkle the chocolate lasagna with mini chocolate chips.
- This chocolate lasagna will need to chill for at least 4 hours before you can slice and serve it.
That would probably be okay, but note that your chocolate lasagna could be pretty tall/high since a 9×9-inch is more than half the volume of a 9×13-inch pan. I would make it in two separate 9×9-inch pans, if possible.
Of course! This chocolate lasagna recipe can easily be adapted to suit your tastes.
You could use instant vanilla pudding and a sugar cookie crust, for example. Or use another pudding flavor altogether to complement the chocolate chip cookie base. There are so many ways you can make dessert lasagna, and all are good ideas!
Tips for Making Chocolate Lasagna
Cookie dough: To make your life easier, I recommend buying refrigerated cookie dough that’s in a rectangle and not the kind in a tube. This just makes it easier to flatten out the cookie dough and shaves a few minutes off the prep time.
Milk: You MUST use cow’s milk for this recipe. If you use a non-dairy milk to make the instant chocolate pudding, it won’t set up properly.
Whipped topping: Also, I’ve only ever made this chocolate lasagna with whipped topping and have never tried it with homemade whipped cream. I can’t speak to whether or not whipped cream will work in this recipe instead of whipped topping, so use your best judgement if you make any alterations to this recipe.
Recipe Video Tutorial
Pin This Recipe
- one 16.5-ounce package refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough, softened to room temp*
- one 8-ounce package brick-style cream cheese, softened (I used lite)
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- one 8-ounce tub frozen whipped topping, thawed and divided (I used fat free)
- 1.5 cups cold 2% cow’s milk**
- one 3.9-ounce package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips (chopped candy bars, nuts, etc. may be substituted)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 9×9-inch pan with foil and spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- Press cookie dough into the pan to form an even, flat crust layer and bake at for 13 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown; set aside on a wire rack to cool completely before adding the cream cheese layer so it doesn’t melt.
- To a large bowl add the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and beat on medium-high speed with a handheld electric mixer until smooth.
- Add 1 cup whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture and beat on medium-high speed to combine. Spread the mixture over the crust; set aside.
- To a large bowl (the same one you already used is fine; wipe it out well with a paper towel) add the milk, pudding mix, and beat on high speed with a handheld electric mixer for 2 full minutes.
- Spread pudding mixture over the cream cheese layer.
- Evenly top with the remaining whipped topping.
- Evenly sprinkle with the chocolate chips, cover, and refrigerate for 4 hours, or overnight until firm and set. Recipe will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 1 week.
*I prefer a flat package of cookie dough rather than a tube because it’s easier to press into the pan.
**Do NOT use soy, almond, rice, etc. milk or the pudding will not set up.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 545Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 333mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 1gSugar: 45gProtein: 6g
More Chocolate Pudding Desserts:
Chocolate Mud Pie Bars — An EASY, almost no-bake dessert with a chocolate chip cookie base, chocolate pudding, sweetened cream cheese, Oreos, and hot fudge!! RICH, decadent, indulgent, and a great party dessert that you can MAKE-AHEAD!!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Dream Bars — Nutter Butter crust, chocolate pudding, and peanut butter cream cheese filling!! Easy, almost no-bake, and beyond amazing! Lives up to their dreamy name!
Chocolate Candy Bar Icebox Cake — Easy frozen dessert with graham crackers, chocolate pudding, whipped topping, chocolate chips, peanut butter cups and Snickers! Perfect for when you don’t want to turn on your oven!
Oreo Brownie Lush – A rich and decadent dessert with fudgy brownies, cream cheese, chocolate pudding, whipped topping, and Oreo cookies!
Quadruple Chocolate Pudding Cookies — These pudding cookies are packed with cocoa powder, chocolate chips and chunks, and chocolate pudding mix to deliver seriously chocolatey flavor!
Chocolate Poke Cake — A FAST and EASY cake that’s perfect for all the chocaholics! Moist and tender chocolate cake that’s made with chocolate pudding mix and topped with whipped chocolate frosting! A no-fuss chocolate cake that everyone will adore!