Easy 30-Minute Vegetable and Mushroom Soup — Healthy, light yet satisfying, and full of rich savory flavor!! An Asian-inspired twist on vegetable soup that you’ll LOVE!!
Healthy Mushroom Soup Recipe
I love mushrooms but don’t often cook with them when I’m cooking for my family because they’re not mushroom fans. Good. More of this soup for me.
A few weeks back I caught a winter cold, was feeling miserable, and wanted something comforting but light and with plenty of green. That’s how this soup was born.
It’s made from common fridge and pantry items and ready in less than 30 minutes. It’s a perfect easy weeknight dinner soup or meatless Monday meal.
It’s adapted from Tomato, Beans, and Greens Soup and Weight Loss Vegetable Soup. It’s healthy, accidentally vegan, and gluten-free. It has an Asian vegetable soup vibe from the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and shitake mushrooms.
What’s in Vegetable Mushroom Soup?
To make this mushroom broth soup recipe, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Vegetable broth
- Broccoli florets
- Soy sauce
- Dried thyme, oregano, and bay leaves
- Rice wine vinegar and apple cider vinegar (both optional)
- Granulated sugar (also optional)
How to Make Mushroom Soup
This homemade mushroom soup is so simple! Just sauté the onion and garlic, then chuck in the remaining ingredients. Let the soup simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until the mushrooms and vegetables have softened.
What Type of Mushrooms Should I Use?
I used 4 ounces shitake and 8 ounces baby portobello. I don’t keep super fancy or exotic mushrooms on hand, but if you’re a fungi connoisseur add your favorites. I recommend fresh rather than dried varieties.
Tips for Making Healthy Vegetable Soup with Mushrooms
The ingredients are very flexible. Try green onions at the end rather than sweet Vidalia in the beginning, add sugar snap peas rather than broccoli, use carrots rather than zucchini. Clean out your produce drawer.
The amount of salt you add to this soup will vary based on how salty the brand of broth and soy sauce are. I added about 2 1/2 teaspoons total; 1 teaspoon in the beginning and 1 1/2 at the end.
At any time while making the easy homemade vegetable soup, if the overall liquid level is lower than you like and you prefer more broth, adding a cup or two of broth or water is okay because at the end you will adjust the salt and seasoning levels.
Pin This Recipe
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, peeled and diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or finely minced
- 8 cups (64 ounces) reduced sodium vegetable broth
- about 12 ounces trimmed and thinly sliced fresh mushrooms (I used 4 ounces shitake and 8 ounces baby portobello)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 medium/large zucchini, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 or 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar, optional (brightens up the flavor)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, optional (brightens up the flavor)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, optional and to taste (balances the acidity from the vinegars)
- To a large Dutch oven or stockpot, add the oil, onion, and sauté over medium-high heat for about 7 minutes, or until onion begins to soften; stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic, stir to combine, and sauté for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add the broth, mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini, soy sauce, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, bay leaves, bring to a boil, and allow it to boil for about 10 to 15 minutes or until mushrooms and vegetables have softened.
- Taste soup and add optional vinegars (I added a hefty dose of both), optional sugar, and any additional herbs, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove bay leaves and serve immediately.
Salt: Amount of salt will vary based on how salty the brand of broth and soy sauce are. I added about 2 1/2 teaspoons total; 1 teaspoon in the beginning and 1 1/2 at the end.
Broth: At any time while making the soup, if the overall liquid level is lower than you like and you prefer more broth, adding a cup or two of broth or water is okay because at the end you will adjust the salt and seasoning levels.
Storage: Soup will keep airtight in the fridge for 5 to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 103Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1236mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 4g
More Quick Soup Recipes:
15 Best Fast and Easy Soup Recipes – Warm up with these easy soup recipes! Most are ready in under 30 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights! Hearty, comforting, and so good!
Tomato, Beans, and Greens Soup — Trying to eat healthier? You’re going to love this easy, hearty, healthy soup that’s ready in 30 minutes and full of flavor and texture from the veggies!
Weight Loss Vegetable Soup – Trying to shed some pounds or get healthier? Try this easy, flavorful soup that’s ready in 30 minutes and loaded with veggies! Very filling and hearty! Zero WW points!
Easy 30-Minute Kale, White Bean, and Chicken Soup – Loaded with juicy chicken, healthy kale, and tender beans! Easy, hearty, and satisfying! Love it when something healthy tastes so good!
Easy 30-Minute Minestrone Soup (Better-Than-Olive-Garden-Copycat) – Homemade is always better and this soup is amazing! The best minestrone ever! Perfect for busy weeknights and it’s healthy!
Easy 30-Minute Chicken Vegetable Soup – Extra veggies instead of noodles in this healthy, easy chicken soup that’s so fast to make! Hearty, filling, and satisfying! Perfect for weeknight dinners and chilly nights!
The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup (Better-Than-Panera Copycat) – Make the best soup of your life at home in 1 hour! Beyond words amazing! One of the most popular recipes on my blog and gets RAVE reviews!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup – Classic, comforting, and tastes just like grandma made but way easier and faster! This soup is AMAZING and it’ll be your new favorite recipe!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade White Chicken Chili – Hearty, healthy, loaded with tender chicken, and packed with bold flavor! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves! It’ll be on rotation all winter!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup – Chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, and addictively crunchy tortilla strips! Fast, easy weeknight meal, and better than from a restaurant!