Easy Lemon Chicken with Caramelized Lemons
This post may contain affiliate links.
Easy Lemon Pepper Chicken with Caramelized Lemons — If you like lemons you’re going to love this very lemony LEMON chicken!! Easy, healthy, ready in 20 minutes, and bursting with bold lemon flavor!!
Skillet Lemon Pepper Chicken Recipe
My daughter loves lemon anything and since I can never go wrong with a chicken dinner, I made this easy lemon chicken. It’s easy, healthy, ready in 20 minutes, and exploding with bold lemon flavor.
If you like very lemony dishes, this one is for you because lemon is incorporated a few ways. There’s lemon pepper seasoning and I caramelized lemon slices. As they caramelize, the lemon slices release lemon juice into a sauce that’s poured over the chicken.
I finished the chicken with fresh parsley and thyme, which has lemon undertones and complements the chicken perfectly. You can serve the lemon pepper chicken with anything from salads to pasta to potatoes depending on what you enjoy.
What’s in Lemon Pepper Chicken?
This easy lemon chicken recipe has a short ingredients list:
- All-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- Chicken breasts
- Unsalted butter
- Olive oil
- Lemon pepper seasoning
- Lemon slices
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh thyme
How to Make Lemon Pepper Chicken
Add the chicken, salt, pepper, and flour to a zip-top bag. Seal and shake to coat. Add the oil and butter to a large skillet and cook the chicken until done.
Remove the cooked chicken to a plate, then add the lemon slices and honey and cook until as caramelized as desired. Pour the sauce and lemon slices over the chicken, sprinkle with fresh herbs, and serve.
Can I Eat the Lemons?
Of course! I prefer squeezing the caramelized lemons to get out all the juice and don’t actually eat the flesh, but you technically can eat the whole lemon slice if desired.
Can I Grill the Chicken?
If you’re craving grilled chicken, I recommend following my Grilled Lemon Chicken recipe instead. I’ve tested that recipe many times and know for sure it works on the grill!
Tips for Making Skillet Lemon Chicken
If your skillet is not big enough to hold all the chicken at once, cook it in batches, adding butter and oil as necessary.
I added about 1/4 cup honey to the sauce, but sweeten it to taste depending on how sour your lemons are and your tolerance for puckering up.
The lemon pepper seasoning chicken is best warm and fresh, but extra will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can enjoy it as is, or slice it up to use on salads, sandwiches, wraps, and more!
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- about 1.25 to 1.50 pounds thin-sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts (if your breasts are not thin-sliced, I recommend pounding and flattening them to about 1/2-inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or as needed
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning (I used a no-salt variety)
- about 16 lemon slices, each about 1/4-inch thick (from about 2 medium lemons)
- about 1/4 cup honey, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons Italian flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- To a gallon-sized ziptop bag, add the flour, salt, pepper, chicken, seal, and shake to coat chicken evenly.
- To a large skillet, add the butter, oil, and heat over medium-high heat to melt the butter.
- Add the chicken, evenly sprinkle with lemon pepper, and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on the first side. Flip, and cook about 2 to 3 minutes on the second side, or until lightly golden browned and chicken is cooked through. If your skillet is not big enough to hold all the chicken at once, cook in batches, adding butter and oil as necessary. Place all cooked chicken on a large serving platter, cover with foil to keep warm; set aside.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and add the lemon slices to the skillet in an even, flat layer.
- Drizzle with 1 to 2 tablespoons honey. Cook for about 3 minutes per side, or until as caramelized as desired. After flipping, add another 1 to 2 tablespoons honey, or to taste. If necessary while the lemons are caramelizing, add a bit more oil to help the caramelization process along.
- Taste sauce for seasoning balance and add additional honey, salt, pepper, etc. as desired.
- Pour sauce and lemon slices over the chicken, evenly sprinkle with parsley, thyme, and serve immediately.
Storage: Chicken is best warm and fresh but extra will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 504Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 160mgSodium: 842mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 54g
More Easy Chicken Dinners:
My Favorite Easy Chicken Recipes are ALL HERE
One-Pan Honey Lemon Chicken and Roasted Potatoes — Juicy chicken with a honey lemon glaze that’s tangy-sweet and so good! Healthy, fast, so easy, and cleanup is a breeze!
Honey Lemon Chicken with Angel Hair Pasta – Easy, ready in 20 minutes, and you’ll love the tangy-sweet flavor! A healthy weeknight dinner for those busy nights!
One-Skillet Orange Chicken with Vegetables – Easy, ready in 15 minutes, healthy (no breading, no frying), and the orange flavor just pops! Perfect for busy weeknights, a family favorite, and you’ll make this over and over!
Sweet and Tangy Jerk Chicken with Caramelized Pineapple and Mango – Easy and ready in 15 minutes! Dinner that tastes like a tropical vacation is a guaranteed hit!
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken — The easiest orange chicken ever because your slow cooker does all the work! Super juicy, tender, and coated with a sweet-yet-tangy orange glaze that’s irresistible!
Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken with Pineapple — Tender chicken with lots of pineapple makes you feel like you’re eating dinner on a Hawaiian vacation without leaving home! Ridiculously easy, packed with flavor, and a hit with everyone!!
15-Minute Sheet Pan Teriyaki Chicken and Pineapple — Fast, EASY, and loaded with fabulous teriyaki flavor! Tender chicken, juicy pineapple, and crisp-tender veggies make make for a DELISH one-pan meal with zero cleanup.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.