15-Minute Honey Mustard Chicken Skillet — If you like dipping your chicken in honey mustard, you’re going to LOVE every bite of this chicken that’s coated in homemade honey mustard sauce!! Fast, EASY, juicy, tender, and made in one skillet!!
Easy Recipe for Honey Mustard Chicken
This is an easy weeknight dinner chicken skillet recipe made on the stove that’s guaranteed to be a family favorite! I have great Baked Honey Mustard Chicken and Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Kabobs recipes as well.
I’ve never met anyone, especially kids, who don’t love the combination of chicken with honey mustard. If you’re a sauce fan like myself, you won’t be able to resist this juicy, tender, saucy honey mustard chicken.
It’s ready in 15 minutes and made in one skillet. My motto is the less dishes, the better.
Ingredients for Honey Mustard Chicken
The star of this dish is without a doubt the honey mustard sauce! Here’s what you’ll need to make creamy honey mustard chicken:
- Olive oil
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Yellow mustard
- Dijon mustard
- Cornstarch (optional)
- Fresh parsley, for garnishing (optional)
How to Make Honey Mustard Chicken in a Skillet
This one-skillet recipe for honey mustard chicken is an all-time favorite of mine, and I make it often on busy weeknights. Full instructions can be found in the recipe card at the end of this post, but here’s a quick overview of how the recipe comes together:
- Sauté chunks of chicken breasts seasoned with salt and pepper in olive oil until they’re just cooked though.
- While they’re sautéing, mix together the honey and two types of mustards.
- Add the homemade honey mustard to the skillet and stir to combine.
Voila, the recipe is done and dinner is served! If you want thicker honey mustard sauce, see my tips and tricks just above the recipe card.
Can I Use Different Types of Mustard?
Of course! You can make the honey mustard glazed chicken using any combination of mustards you’d like. Just keep in mind that some mustards are spicier than others, so you may have to add more or less honey to taste.
What’s the Best Honey for Honey Mustard Chicken?
Whatever you have on hand! I used regular clover honey, but any kind of honey (from any season) will work.
What to Serve with Honey Mustard Chicken
This easy honey mustard chicken skillet can be spooned over rice (regular or cauliflower rice), enjoyed alongside roasted veggies, and more.
Here are some more of the best side dishes to serve with honey mustard chicken:
- Spinach Apple Salad with Cheddar & Cranberries
- Crispy Parmesan Ranch Potatoes
- Herb Roasted Rainbow Carrots
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Stovetop Mac and Cheese
- Tropical Fruit Salad
- Broccoli Salad
Tips for the Best Honey Mustard Chicken Sauce
Since I wanted honey mustard sauce that really clings to the chicken and was on the thicker side, I added a corn starch slurry (corn starch dissolved in water) in the final minute of cooking. This is an optional step.
If you’re fine with your honey mustard being thinner, more like the consistency of honey mustard salad dressing, you can skip this.
Anytime you work with cornstarch, remember that it will tighten up even more as it cools and you do run the risk of it becoming on the gloppy side if you overcook, so just a minute or two of stirring it into the sauce is all that’s needed.
Pin This Recipe
15-Minute Honey Mustard Chicken Skillet
If you like dipping your chicken in honey mustard, you're going to LOVE every bite of this chicken that's coated in homemade honey mustard sauce!! Fast, EASY, juicy, tender, and made in one skillet!!
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (thighs can be substituted), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup honey, or to taste
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons corn starch dissolved in 2 teaspoons cold water, optional (slurry)
- fresh parsley for garnishing, optional
- To a large skillet, add the oil, chicken, evenly season with salt and pepper, and sauté for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until chicken is just cooked through; stir and flip intermittently to ensure even cooking.
- While chicken is sautéing, to a small bowl, add the honey, both mustards, and stir to combine. Taste and check for flavor balance and add either additional honey or mustard(s), if desired to taste.
- Add the honey mustard to the skillet, reduce the heat to medium-low, and stir well to combine and coat all pieces of chicken. Allow chicken to simmer in sauce for about 2 to 3 minutes, or as desired.
- Optionally, for a thicker and clingier sauce, add the cornstarch slurry to the skillet, stir to combine, and stir nearly constantly for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the sauce is as thick as desired. Tip - The sauce will thicken up more as it's cooled so in an effort to prevent it from becoming overly thick or getting a little gloppy when it cools, don't overdo it with the heat.
- Optionally garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Storage: Chicken is best fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 554Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 1234mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 1gSugar: 35gProtein: 54g
More Easy Chicken Skillet Meals:
My Favorite Easy Chicken Recipes are ALL HERE.
One-Skillet Honey Dijon Chicken, Green Beans, and Potatoes — An EASY, one-skillet recipe that’s ready in 20 minutes!! Juicy chicken, crispy potatoes, and crisp-tender green beans for the WIN! Great for busy weeknights or date-night-in!!
15-Minute Spicy Korean Chicken — Fast, EASY, perfectly SPICY chicken that’s so tender and juicy! Who needs takeout or a restaurant when you can make this AWESOME chicken at home in 15 minutes?
Garlic Butter Chicken – Tender, juicy chicken bathed in a rich garlic butter sauce with a splash of wine for extra flavor!! This EASY stovetop chicken recipe is ready in 15 minutes and will become a family FAVORITE!!
Lemon Butter Dijon Chicken Skillet — Tender, juicy chicken with a scrumptious sauce made with lemon butter, Dijon mustard, and a splash of wine for extra flavor!!
Kung Pao Chicken — An easy, BETTER-THAN-TAKEOUT recipe with juicy chicken and such a flavorful sauce!! Don’t call for takeout when you can make this HEALTHIER version at home in 20 minutes!
One-Pan Lemon Butter Chicken and Potatoes — A DELICIOUS family dinner that’s ready in 30 minutes and full of lemon buttery goodness!! ONE PAN keeps things EASY for you with less dishes!
Skinny Mexican Chicken Skillet — EASY, ready in 20 minutes, and is a skinny recipe that keeps you full and satisfied!! A great Mexican-inspired meal that’s naturally gluten-free and is a flavor FIESTA in your mouth!!
Made it and we loved it. I tried to rate it 5 stars–not sure I typed it correctly.This recipe was so easy that I didn’t have to measure the ingredients. In hindsight, maybe I should have. Right before serving, it tasted too sweet, so I added a bit of balsamic vinegar. I also added some garlic powder. After plating it, I sprinkled slivered almonds. I always put lemon juice on the table when I serve chicken, so I put a couple of drops on the chicken and on our veggie, steamed asparagus. I served it w/ applesauce. My husband threw a few cashews onto his. Served it on brown basmati rice, which I had in the freezer. Will definitely make it again. And so quick! Thank you, Averie.
Thanks for the 5 star review and glad you loved this and were able to customize it, too!
I plan on making this DREAM recipe within the next week or so. This recipe is gluten free and dairy free! It can easily be made kosher, but for Halal you would have to sub out the dijon since that contains wine. It also appears to be super family friendly because of the honey mustard! I think I’ll have to serve it with waffle fries since it will remind everyone of that fast-food chicken restaurant that is closed on Sundays.
Super family friendly and I hope everyone loves it!