Lemon Butter Dijon Skillet Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links.
Lemon Dijon Chicken Skillet — Tender, juicy chicken with a scrumptious sauce made with lemon butter, Dijon mustard, and a splash of wine for extra flavor!! This EASY stovetop chicken recipe is ready in 15 minutes and will become a family dinner FAVORITE!!
Skillet Dijon Chicken Breasts
If you’re in need of a fast and easy 15-minute chicken dinner, this comforting lemon Dijon chicken will become a new family favorite that’s sure to go into your dinner rotation.
My favorite kinds of recipes are the ones made in one skillet, like this one, which is awesome because there are less dishes to do later.
This chicken is pan-seared on the stovetop and is so tender, juicy, rich, and buttery. Between the lemon butter, Dijon mustard, and white wine, the pan sauce has so much depth of flavor.
I adapted this recipe from my Garlic Butter Chicken recipe. If you’re in need of another fast, easy, 15-minute chicken dinner, check that recipe out.
Ingredients in Lemon Dijon Chicken
For this fast lemon dijon chicken breast dinner made with common fridge and pantry ingredients, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 21 Salute Seasoning or poultry seasoning
- White wine or chicken broth
- Dijon mustard
- Lemon juice
- Honey, optional
- Fresh parsley, optional
- Lemon slices, optional
How to Make Dijon Chicken with Lemon Butter
This is such a fast and easy chicken dinner that’s perfect for busy weeknights!
To a large skillet, add olive oil, chicken breasts seasoned with 21 Salute Seasoning, salt, pepper, and sear on the first side for about 5 minutes. Flip chicken oven and cook on the second side for about 5 minutes.
When the chicken is done and cooked through, remove it from the pan and allow it to rest on a plate.
To make the dijon mustard sauce for the chicken, deglaze your pan with a splash of wine, add the butter, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and cook for one minute, or until the butter has melted.
Return the chicken to the pan, toss it in the lemon butter sauce, taste it and if you like a touch of sweetness, drizzle a bit of honey into the sauce.
Optionally garnish with parsley, lemon slices, and dig in.
Can I Use Another Type of Mustard?
Technically yes, but I do recommend Dijon mustard for its richer flavor. The splash of white wine that’s used for deglazing the pan marries perfectly with the Dijon mustard. After all, Dijon mustard is made from mustard seeds, white wine, water, and salt so the wine is a natural fit.
You can experiment with a brown grainy mustard or a semi-spicy mustard, if desired. I don’t recommend yellow mustard — save that for hot dogs and burgers!
What Type of White Wine Should I Use?
Use whatever dry white wine you have open or on hand. Chardonnay, pinot grigio, sauvignon blanc, or even a dry rose is fine. Just make sure it’s not sweet.
Can I Omit the Wine?
If wine isn’t fitting for you, use chicken broth instead. Note that the alcohol in the wine burns off and what you’re left with is a richer flavor in the lemon butter Dijon mustard sauce.
Tips for Making Lemon Dijon Chicken
You need to pound your chicken to an even thickness so that it cooks evenly. Chicken breasts have a thick side and a thin side and you want to pound the thick side so it’s not as thick.
Pounding also breaks down muscle fibers so the finished chicken is more tender.
I used Trader Joe’s 21 Salute Seasoning which is mixture of oregano, thyme, rosemary, and more. Use poultry seasoning or a mixture of those spices if you don’t have 21 Salute. The flavor of the seasoning is going to be subdued by the Dijon mustard which I think takes center stage of the flavor profile of this chicken recipe.
When you’re searing the chicken, just let it be. Don’t touch it, move it, peek on it, just let it sear. After 5 minutes, check on it, and if it needs a little more time, go for it, and then flip it over and allow it to remain undisturbed as well while searing on the second side.
After searing, your pan (if using a stainless steel or cast iron pan) is going to have lots of chicken bits and cooking juices stuck to it.
This is where deglazing comes in. Meaning, you add either wine (or chicken broth) to the pan to remove the stuck-on bits of food. Adding wine or even chicken broth to a very hot skillet will cause the liquid to bubble up with lots of ensuing steam. Be careful!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to an even thickness (4 average to good-sized breasts)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons 21 Salute Seasoning (or poultry seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup white wine* or chicken broth, or as necessary
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup Dijon mustard (use more if you want extra sauce)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons honey, optional and to taste
- lemon slices, optional for garnishing
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, optional for garnishing
- To a large skillet, add the olive oil, pounded chicken, evenly season with 21 Salute, salt, pepper, and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Do not touch, move, or disturb the chicken while it is searing. After 5 minutes, flip chicken over. It should have a medium golden color. For thicker/bigger chicken breasts, sear for 6-7 minutes.
- Allow chicken to cook on the second side for about 5 minutes, or until done and cooked through. Again, do not disturb the chicken while it's searing.
- Remove chicken with a slotted spatula and place it on a plate to rest.
- Using caution, deglaze your skillet by adding wine (or broth) and allow the liquid to bubble up and steam violently for a few seconds.
- Add the Dijon mustard, butter, lemon juice, and allow the butter to melt, about 1 minute; stir continuously until melted and the sauce has combined.
- Turn the heat off, taste the sauce, and if you want it a bit sweeter, optionally add honey, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken back into the skillet, flip it around in the lemon butter sauce, and spoon the sauce over the chicken.
- Optionally garnish with lemon slices, parsley, and serve immediately.
Wine: I recommend white wine because I think the flavor is better than with chicken broth, and I personally believe that the alcohol burns off, and what you're left with is the flavor imparted by the wine. However, use broth if that is a better option for your lifestyle or needs.
Storage: Chicken will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days and in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 324Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 2934mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 17g
More Easy Chicken Recipes:
Garlic Butter Chicken — Tender, juicy chicken bathed in a rich garlic butter sauce with a splash of wine for extra flavor!! This EASY stovetop chicken recipe is ready in 15 minutes and will become a family FAVORITE!!
One Pan Lemon Butter Chicken and Potatoes – A DELICIOUS family dinner that’s ready in 30 minutes and full of lemon buttery goodness!! ONE PAN keeps things EASY for you with less dishes!!
Easy Lemon Chicken with Caramelized Lemons — If you like lemons you’re going to love this very lemony LEMON chicken!! Easy, healthy, ready in 20 minutes, and bursting with bold lemon flavor!!
One-Skillet Honey Dijon Chicken with Potatoes and Green Beans – An EASY, one-skillet recipe that’s ready in 20 minutes!! Juicy chicken, crispy potatoes, and crisp-tender green beans for the WIN! Great for busy weeknights or date-night-in!!
Sheet Pan Whole-Roasted Chicken and Potatoes –> FOUR ingredients + ONE pan = PERFECT roasted chicken with ZERO cleanup!! Your new FOOLPROOF and EASY roasted chicken recipe that’s ready in 1 hour!!
20-Minute Oven Baked Chicken Breasts — Super juicy, flavorful, EASY, and tender baked chicken breasts that are ready in 20 minutes and made on ONE sheet pan!! Nothing complicated or fussy about this PERFECT chicken that everyone LOVES!!
Sheet Pan Salsa Chicken and Potatoes — An EASY dinner that’s ready in 30 minutes and made on ONE pan with so much FLAVOR!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.