Roasted Rainbow Carrots — Lightly caramelized around the edges, crisp-tender in the center, and seasoned with rosemary, thyme, and parsley!! A trusty side that you’ll make again and again for holidays or easy weeknight dinners!!
An Easy Carrot Side Dish
It wouldn’t be a holiday celebration without carrots on the holiday table. Whether it’s Easter, Thanksgiving, or Christmas, my family always serves carrots.
But you don’t have to wait for a holiday to make these ridiculously easy, crisp-tender multicolored carrots that are lightly caramelized and flavored with rosemary, thyme, and parsley.
They’re a great weeknight side dish and a nice way to get some vegetables into kids (or adults) who are picky when it comes to vegetables because most everyone likes carrots.
Since carrots have plenty of natural sugar, when you roast them at high heat they caramelize beautifully around the edges.
I like mine pretty dark but not everyone does, so roast until you’ve hit your perfect amount of char.
Ingredients for Roasted Rainbow Carrots
To make this tri colored carrots recipe, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Fresh herbs
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon juice
There are lots of different colored carrots out there, so use any color or blend of colors you’d like! I find rainbow carrots at my local Trader Joe’s (they come pre-packaged and contain the colors shown in these photos).
However, regular orange carrots will work just as well for making this carrot side dish recipe.
What Fresh Herbs Go with Roasted Carrots?
Because carrots aren’t strongly flavored and have a subtle sweetness to them, they pair well with almost any fresh herb.
For this particular rainbow carrot recipe, I used the following herbs:
- Fresh rosemary
- Fresh thyme
- Fresh parsley
Feel free to mix and match the herbs to suit your personal taste preferences.
And if you’re making this as an Easter, Christmas, or Thanksgiving carrot recipe, don’t go out and buy any extra fresh herbs if you already have a couple on hand for other seasonal recipes! Use up what you have so nothing goes to waste after the big holiday.
How to Make Oven Roasted Rainbow Carrots
It doesn’t take much to transform colorful carrots into an elegant side dish! Follow these basic steps for roasting the tri-colored carrots:
- Peel and cut the rainbow carrots into chunks.
- Then, spread them out on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh herbs, salt, and pepper, then toss with your hands.
- Roast the carrots for roughly 30 to 35 minutes, or until they’re lightly caramelized around the edges and fork-tender
Can I Use Another Type of Carrot?
Of course! I used tri-colored carrots, but you can use traditional orange if that’s what you have on hand. I don’t think the purple or white carrots taste much different than orange ones, but I think they look pretty and that always counts.
Can I Use Baby Carrots?
Most likely, yes. But you’d probably have to adjust the cook time since baby carrots aren’t as thick as regular carrots.
You’ll need to wait to roast the carrots until the hour you plan on serving them. However, you can:
- Peel and chop the carrots. Seal them in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Finely chop the fresh herbs. Place them in a small airtight container and refrigerate up to 48 hours beforehand.
Everything else will need to be prepped day-of!
Tips for Making Roasted Carrots
Be sure to chop the carrots into even-sized chunks so they roast at the same rate in the oven. If using organic carrots, you may not need to peel them — your choice!
I don’t recommend using dried herbs in this carrot side dish. Dried herbs are more potent than fresh and don’t roast very well (they can become crunchy at high heats).
I prefer these oven roasted carrots straight from the oven, but leftovers will keep up to 5 days in the fridge. Toss the roasted carrots on salads, into soups, or reheat and enjoy plain.
Pin This Recipe
- 2 pounds carrots, trimmed, peeled, and cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch pieces (I used tri-colored carrots but you can use all orange)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, optional
- Preheat oven to 450F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easier cleanup.
- Add the carrots to the baking sheet, evenly drizzle with olive oil, and evenly sprinkle with thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, and toss with your hands to evenly coat.
- Arrange the carrots in a flat layer with space between the pieces if possible and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes or until carrots are lightly caramelized around the edges and fork-tender. Baking times will vary based on the size of carrots and personal preference for doneness.
- Stir and flip halfway through baking to ensure all sides cook evenly.
- Evenly sprinkle with parsley, evenly drizzle with optional lemon juice (brightens up the dish), and serve immediately.
- Carrots are best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 142Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 661mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 7gSugar: 8gProtein: 2g
More Roasted Vegetable Side Dishes:
Honey-Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Honey-Cinnamon Dip – The honey glaze and the creamy cinnamon dip make these potatoes irresistible!!
Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts — Think you don’t like brussels sprouts? The balsamic glaze on these will change your mind! BEST brussels sprouts ever! Fast, easy, and accidentally healthy!
Parmesan and Herb Roasted Potatoes — Easiest potatoes ever and packed with so much flavor! Olive oil, herbs, and everything is better with CHEESE! A family favorite that everyone loves!
Honey Orange Roasted Carrots — A fast, EASY, and holiday-friendly side dish everyone will love!! The honey orange glaze adds such great FLAVOR and really jazzes up roasted carrots!!
Cheesy Roasted Asparagus — Even picky eaters will LOVE asparagus when it’s roasted with onions and covered with melted CHEESE!! A fast and EASY side that’s perfect for busy weeknights!!
Parmesan Roasted Broccoli — This is a super simple side dish that’s perfect for anything from busy weeknights to holiday celebrations.