Easy 30-Minute One-Skillet Lasagna
Easy 30-Minute Skillet Lasagna — Everything cooks in one skillet and you don’t even need to boil the noodles separately!! Full of classic lasagna flavor but so much faster and easier! Now you can make lasagna on busy weeknights!!
Easiest Beef Lasagna Recipe
My family loves lasagna, but I don’t love making traditional lasagna. Too much work and it takes too long. How’s that for being brutally honest.
That’s where this easy, 30-minute, one-skillet lasagna comes into play. There’s Italian-seasoned ground beef with sweet Vidalia onions and garlic for layers of flavor along with tender lasagna noodles that are coated with tomato sauce.
You don’t even have to boil the noodles separately. They cook in the same skillet you brown the onions and ground beef in. Love it when I only dirty one pan to make a meal and even better when there’s planned leftovers.
There’s creamy ricotta and fresh mozzarella cheeses because you can’t have lasagna without plenty of cheese.
I topped off the skillet lasagna with fresh basil because tomatoes and mozzarella taste that much better with the peppery bite of basil.
What’s in Skillet Lasagna?
To make this incredibly easy meat lasagna recipe, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Ground beef
- Italian seasoning
- Lasagna noodles
- Diced tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
- Ricotta cheese
- Fresh mozzarella
- Fresh basil
How to Make Skillet Lasagna
Sauté the onion and garlic until softened, then add the ground beef to the skillet and brown. Add the Italian seasoning, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and water. Pop the lid on the skillet and cook until the noodles have softened.
Spoon the ricotta into the skillet lasagna and gently stir to incorporate. Then, place the mozzarella slices on top and place the lid on again to help the cheese melt. Garnish with fresh basil just before serving!
Can I Use Italian Sausage Instead of Ground Beef?
I’m sure you could! You may need to drain the fat from the skillet after the sausage cooks though, depending on how greasy it is.
Can I Freeze Skillet Lasagna?
Yes, this skillet lasagna can be frozen up to 4 months.
My Favorite Sides for Lasagna
This easy skillet lasagna pairs well with pretty much any side, but a few of my favorites are:
- Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Quinoa Salad
- Rainbow Roasted Vegetables
- Parmesan Balsamic Roasted Garlic
- Kale Caesar Salad with Fried Chickpeas
- Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Tips for Making the Best Lasagna in a Skillet
Be sure to use regular lasagna noodles in this recipe and not the no-boil / pre-cooked kind. Trust me, this recipe works well with regular lasagna noodles!
To avoid greasy beef lasagna, I recommend using extra lean ground beef. You could also experiment with using ground turkey, but I’ve only ever made skillet lasagna with ground beef before.
Depending on how salty you like your meat lasagna, you may not need to add any extra salt to this dish. Taste it just before adding in the cheeses, and keep in mind that the cheeses also contain salt.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, peeled and diced small (about 1 large onion)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced or pressed with a garlic press
- 1 pound ground beef (I used extra lean)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound lasagna noodles (about 8 noodles), broken into bite-sized pieces
- two 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes and juice (I used petite diced, no-salt-added)
- one 15-ounce can tomato sauce (marinara or red pasta sauce may be substituted)
- 3/4 cup water
- salt, optional and to taste
- heaping 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into thin rounds
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- To a large skillet (at least 12 inches in diameter and 3-4 inches deep) or Dutch oven, add the olive oil, onions, and sauté over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, or until onions begin to soften. Stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Stir intermittently.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned. Stir intermittently.
- Add the Italian seasoning, pepper, and stir to combine.
- Add the lasagna noodles and cover them with the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and water. Cover pan and allow sauce to simmer over medium-low heat for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until noodles are tender and cooked through.
- Taste and add salt, to taste. This will vary based on how salty the tomatoes and tomato sauce are, and personal preference. Note that both cheeses you’re about to add also have salt. Make any necessary seasoning adjustments (salt, more pepper, more Italian seasoning, etc.) as necessary. Stir everything well.
- Add the ricotta by tablespoonfuls, evenly distributed. Stir gently to incorporate but don’t overmix.
- Turn the heat to low, add the mozzarella, evenly distributed. Cover skillet with a lid for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until mozzarella melts.
- Garnish with basil, evenly distributed, and serve immediately.
- Lasagna is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 or in the freezer for up to 4 months. Reheat gently as necessary.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 559Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 904mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 5gSugar: 14gProtein: 36g
More Easy Pasta Recipes:
Easy Chicken Manicotti — Pasta shells stuffed with chicken, coated in red sauce, and smothered with loads of melted cheese! Pure comfort food that’s packed with flavor that the whole family will love!
Extra Cheesy Tortellini Bake – Three-cheese tortellini baked with pasta sauce AND 3 more cheeses! Cheese lovers will adore this easy comfort food that’s ready in 30 minutes!
Three Cheese Baked Ziti – Mozzarella, fontina, and parmesan melted together are divine!! An easy, make-ahead meal that’s also freezer-friendly and so tasty! The whole family will love it!
Easy 20-Minute Lighter Fettucine Alfredo – The creamy and cheesy taste you crave minus the extra fat and calories! A fast and easy recipe that’s perfect for busy weeknights that everyone loves!
One Pot Italian Sausage and Tomato Basil Pasta – An EASY comfort food recipe that’s loaded with Italian flavors, ready in 20 minutes, made in ONE pot, and a family favorite!
Cheesy Beef and Pasta Casserole – Hearty comfort food that’s EASY and IRRESISTIBLE!! Cheesy pasta and beef coated in marinara sauce and topped with more CHEESE!
Lemon Butter Garlic Shrimp with Angel Hair Pasta – Buttery noodles with juicy plump shrimp, flavored with lemon and garlic!! A family-friendly dinner recipe that’s ready in 15 minutes and it’s so EASY!!