BBQ Chicken Foil Packets — Ready in 15 minutes and such an EASY way to enjoy barbecue chicken on the grill!! A DELISH and HEALTHY meal made in a foil pack with ZERO cleanup!!
Easy Chicken Foil Packets on the Grill
Nothing says summer like throwing some chicken on the grill, and with this fast and easy foil pack recipe, you are going to be in barbecue chicken heaven in no time.
The chicken is moist and juicy, the veggies are perfectly crisp-tender, and thanks to the barbecue sauce that runs off from the chicken, the vegetables have such great flavor.
Cleanup is as easy as tossing away the foil, which is my idea of the perfect ending to a meal!
What’s in BBQ Chicken Foil Packets?
All you need to make chicken in foil on the grill is:
- Chicken breasts
- Bbq sauce (I used this one)
- Apple cider vinegar
- Olive oil
- Bell peppers
- Green onions
Can I Use Different Veggies?
Yes! For the vegetables, I used diced zucchini and red and yellow bell peppers and then garnished with green onions because I had them on hand.
Mix and match the veggies based on what you have and enjoy. Everything from broccoli to small hunks of corn on the cob to mushrooms to potatoes will work.
How to Make BBQ Chicken Foil Packets
Cooking bbq chicken in foil on the grill is so easy! Simply marinate the chicken breasts in your favorite barbecue sauce, nestle in the veggies, seal up the foil packets, and dinner is ready in 10 minutes.
I used this brown sugar BBQ sauce from Trader Joe’s that I doctored up with olive oil, vinegar, and honey. It’s not absolutely essential to doctor up your bbq sauce if you’re in a rush, but I like to. And as always, the longer you can marinate the chicken, the better it will taste.
I diced the chicken into pieces before marinating it because pieces cook more rapidly than whole breasts but you can use whole breasts if you prefer, noting you will need to cook them longer.
Can I Bake the Foil Packs?
Yes! When the weather is warm, I especially appreciate being able to use my outdoor grill so I don’t have to heat up my house. But you can bake the foil packets if you don’t have a grill.
Tips for the Best BBQ Chicken on the Grill
I recommend marinating the chicken in the bbq sauce mixture for at least 15 minutes, but you can leave it in the marinade up to overnight.
Use good quality, heavy duty aluminum foil for this recipe. If your foil is cheap, double it up to ensure none of the sauce leaks out onto the grill.
Feel free to mix and match the vegetables to use up whatever you have on hand.
Pin This Recipe
- about 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce (I used this one
- 2 to 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium/large zucchini, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium yellow or orange bell pepper, diced into bite-sized pieces
- salt and pepper to taste, for seasoning vegetables
- green onions sliced into thin rounds, optional for garnishing
- To a large ziptop plastic bag, add the chicken, barbecue sauce, honey, vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon pepper, seal bag, and squish contents around to evenly distribute them and coat the chicken. Place bag in the fridge for at least 15 minutes (or overnight) to marinate.
- Preheat outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Alternatively, preheat oven to 425F.
- Place 4 large sheets of foil on the counter and evenly distribute the chicken to the center of each piece of foil.
- Evenly distribute and nestle the zucchini, peppers, and broccoli around the chicken on each of the 4 pieces of foil.
- Evenly drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over the vegetables to lightly coat them and evenly season with salt and pepper.
- Seal up the foil packs very tightly, place them on the grill and grill for about 9 to 10 minutes. Exact grilling time will vary based on the type of grill, the size, the heat level, how thick the chicken is, etc.
- Optionally garnish with green onions and serve immediately.
Baking: If you're baking these in the oven, I would start checking at 40 minutes and go from there.
Storage: Recipe is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 526Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 772mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 3gSugar: 33gProtein: 46g
More Grilled Chicken Recipes:
My Favorite Easy Chicken Recipes are ALL HERE
15 Chicken Dinners Ready in 15 Minutes – Easy dinners that are ready in a flash and perfect for busy weeknights! Delish, healthy, and guaranteed to please your toughest dinner critics!
Sweet Chili Grilled Chicken — Tender, juicy, and full of flavor from the sweet chili sauce! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes, zero cleanup, perfect for backyard barbecues or easy weeknight dinners!
Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Kabobs – Juicy chicken and crisp vegetables coated in a sweet-and-tangy sauce!! Great for parties or easy weeknight dinners! Everything tastes better grilled!
Strawberry Pecan Grilled Chicken Salad with Pecan Butter Vinaigrette — The chicken is so juicy and moist thanks to a homemade pecan butter marinade! Sweet strawberries and crunchy pecans add extra texture and flavor!
Apple, White Cheddar, and Grilled Chicken Salad – All the flavors just pop in this fast, easy, and healthy salad! The Honey-Apple Cider Vinaigrette doubles as marinade + salad dressing to save time!