Greek Chicken Gyro Pita Pizzas
This post may contain affiliate links.
Greek Chicken Pita Pizzas – Chicken gyros transformed into FAST, EASY, and HEALTHY pita pizzas!! There’s juicy chicken, homemade tzatziki sauce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and feta on pita bread!! FRESH and LIGHT!!
Imagine that your favorite juicy Greek gyro morphed into pizza made on lightly toasted pita bread. Yep, that’s what we have going on here.
Chunks of boneless skinless chicken breasts are quickly sautéed with olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, and oregano.
The chicken is moist, juicy, and has the classic gyro flavors that are hard to resist.
How To Toast The Pita Breads
You can lightly char each piece of pita bread over a low flame on a gas stove, grill briefly on an outdoor gas grill or indoor grill pan, bake for about 10 minutes in a 450F oven, or until lightly crisp, or simply add to your toaster.
They don’t need to be overly charred or dark, just toasted to taste.
How To Make Tzatziki Sauce
A fast and easy homemade tzatziki sauce is made with Greek yogurt, grated cucumber, lemon juice, white vinegar, garlic, and dill.
It’s what’s used as the pizza sauce. Any leftover sauce is great on this salad or as a veggie dip. I could eat it by the spoonful.
What Toppings Are On The Pizzas
Then the pizzas are topped with tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, crumbled savory feta cheese (that I actually forgot for these photos and remembered about an hour later as it was staring back at me – unopened – from the fridge), parsley, and that tender chicken that has so much Greek-inspired flavor.
But if you have olives, crunchy pita chips, or really more any veggie that you’d like to use up from your crisper drawer, the pizzas are a super easy way to make use of them.
The pizzas are great as a light and healthy lunch or dinner, as an after school or post workout snack, or make them as an appetizer to serve at your next party.
I appreciate how fresh they taste and aren’t dripping with greasy cheese and pepperoni or sausage like traditional pizza. Not that that’s a bad thing but at this time of year, I really appreciate the lightness and freshness of these Greek pita pizzas.
More Greek-inspired recipes:
- Mediterranean Cobb Salad – Mediterranean flavors and ingredients infused in this easy, healthy, accidentally vegetarian Cobb salad that’s ready in 10 minutes!
- Chicken Gyro Salad with Tzatziki Sauce – Chicken gyros transformed into a healthy salad with an easy homemade tzatziki sauce that’s loaded with tangy dill flavor! Ready in 20 minutes!
- Greek Pita Chip Salad – Greek salad just got a makeover! Still uses classic ingredients like red peppers, cucumbers, onions, olives, and feta but there are pita chips for extra crunch and texture! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 to 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 8 ounces plain Greek yogurt (must be Greek yogurt, I used 0% fat)
- about 1/2 English cucumber, finely grated (about 2/3 to 3/4 cup grated cucumber; use coarsest blade of a box grater)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- pinch sugar, optional and to taste
- 6 small/medium pita breads, lighting toasted
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced or halved if using cherry/grape tomatoes
- 1 cup English cucumber, diced small
- 1 cup diced or crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup red onions, diced small
- fresh parsley, minced for garnishing
- Chicken – To a large skillet, add the oil, chicken, evenly sprinkle with oregano, salt, pepper, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, flipping intermittently so all sides cook evenly. When chicken is about 90% cooked through, reduce the heat to medium-low, add the red wine vinegar, lemon juice (use caution because it will bubble up), and allow chicken to simmer another 1 to 2 minutes, or until done. Cooking time will vary based on thickness of chicken breasts and sizes of pieces; set pan aside off the heat while you assemble the salad.
- Tzatziki Sauce – To a medium bowl, add all ingredients, whisk to combine, taste, and check for flavor balance. Add additional salt, pepper, lemon juice, pinch sugar, etc. if necessary, to taste.
- Pizza Assembly - Lightly toast each piece of pita bread over a low flame on a gas stove, grill briefly on an outdoor gas grill or indoor grill pan, bake for about 10 minutes in a 450F oven, or until lightly crisp, or simply add to your toaster.
- To each pita bread, add a light coating of tzatziki sauce or to taste, and evenly top with all remaining ingredients, to taste. Pizzas are best fresh.
Adapted from Chicken Gyro Salad with Tzatziki Sauce
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 388Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 1085mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 40g
Chicken Gyro Salad with Tzatziki Sauce – Chicken gyros transformed into a healthy salad with an easy homemade tzatziki sauce that’s loaded with tangy dill flavor! Ready in 20 minutes!
Greek Pita Chip Salad – Greek salad just got a makeover! Still uses classic ingredients like red peppers, cucumbers, onions, olives, and feta but there are pita chips for extra crunch and texture! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes!
Barbecue Chicken Pizza – A copycat version of California Pizza Kitchen’s bbq chicken pizza that you can make at home in 15 minutes! EASY, loaded with juicy chicken, red onions, cilantro, and lots of cheese!
One Hour Whole Wheat Pizza Dough – An easy pizza dough that’s healthier because of the whole wheat flour! Ready in one hour!
Three Cheese Pizza – Homemade pizza is great! And where there are 3 cheeses involved, even better! Fast, easy, and better than calling for pizza delivery!
Easy Pizza Bake – Skip takeout and make your own warm and cheesy deep dish pizza bake! Fast, easy, and ready in 30 minutes! It’s a keeper everyone loves!
Easy Mini Pepperoni Pizzas – Ready in 10 minutes, mindlessly easy, and mini food just tastes better! Great as an appetizer, after-school or late-night snack, or as perfect tailgating party food!
Easy Pizza Dip – Cheese lovers and pizza fans will love this fast and easy dip! Perfect party food that’s a guaranteed hit!
Pepperoni Pizza and Chipotle Avocado Cucumber Flatbreads– Fun, easy and great for game days!
Pepperoni Pizza Sliders – Pizza by way of supremely cheesy sliders! Easy, ready in 15 minutes, and perfect for parties because everyone loves them! Totally irresistible!
Mango Basil Personal-Sized Tortilla Pizzas – Storebought tortilla shells bake up thin, crispy, and are easy to use for personal-sized pizzas! Everyone can choose their toppings!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.