Chicken Gyro Salad with Tzatziki Sauce
This post may contain affiliate links.
Chicken Gyro Salad with Tzatziki Sauce — Chicken gyros transformed into a HEALTHY salad with an EASY homemade tzatziki sauce that’s loaded with tangy dill FLAVOR!! Ready in 20 minutes!!
Healthy Chicken Gyro Salad
Rather than making traditional chicken gyros, I deconstructed things by adding veggies and turned gyros into a salad. Healthy, easy, ready in 20 minutes, and packed with so much flavor.
Chunks of boneless skinless chicken breasts are quickly sautéed with olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, and oregano. The chicken is moist, juicy, and has the classic gyro flavor you’re looking for.
It’s added over a bed of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, pita chips, feta, and topped with tangy, dill-infused tzatziki sauce that coats everything with its lovely cooling creaminess.
I’ve made a tzatziki sauce of sorts in the past and the basic flavors include Greek yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, white vinegar, garlic, and dill. It has such a well-rounded balance of flavors and if you don’t need it all for this salad, it’s wonderful as a veggie dip or just dip some pita chips in it. No shame.
What’s in This Chicken Gyro Salad?
This healthy gyro salad has three main components: the gyro-style chicken, the salad itself, and the homemade tzatziki sauce. Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Olive oil
- Chicken breasts
- Dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Red wine vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Pita chips
- Feta cheese
- Red onions
- Plain greek yogurt
- White wine vinegar
- Dried dill
How to Make a Chicken Gyro Salad
Season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and oregano and cook in a skillet until no longer pink inside. Near the end of the cook time, add the vinegar and lemon juice to the skillet and let simmer to thicken up.
Then, whisk together the homemade gyro tzatziki sauce (you’ll likely wind up with leftovers, but it keeps for a few days).
After that, it’s just a matter of assembling your chicken gyro salad and digging in.
Can I Meal Prep This Gyro Salad?
I bet you could! You’d want to cook the chicken ahead of time and dice it into bite-sized pieces. You’d do the same with the raw veggies. You can also make the tzatziki sauce ahead of time. Store everything in separate containers, then assemble salads throughout the week as needed.
Tips for Making Chicken Gryo Salad
If you want a thicker tzatziki sauce, you may want to wring out the grated cucumber in a clean kitchen towel. This will remove the excess moisture and makes for a thicker sauce.
Note that leftover gyro tzatziki sauce will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. It becomes more watery over time, so just give it a good stir before eating the leftovers.
Be sure to dice the veggies quite small so they’re easy to grab with your fork and eat in one bite.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 to 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 cups lettuce (Romaine or Iceberg recommended)
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced or halved if using cherry/grape tomatoes
- 1 cup English cucumber, diced small
- 1 cup crushed pita chips
- 1 cup diced or crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup red onions, diced small
- 8 ounces plain Greek yogurt (must be Greek yogurt, I used 0% fat)
- about 1/2 English cucumber, finely grated (about 2/3 to 3/4 cup grated cucumber; use coarsest blade of a box grater)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- pinch sugar, optional and to taste
- To a large skillet, add the oil, chicken, evenly sprinkle with oregano, salt, pepper, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, flipping intermittently so all sides cook evenly.
- When chicken is about 90% cooked through, reduce the heat to medium-low, add the red wine vinegar, lemon juice (use caution because it will bubble up), and allow chicken to simmer another 1 to 2 minutes, or until done.
- Cooking time will vary based on thickness of chicken breasts and sizes of pieces; set pan aside off the heat while you assemble the salad.
- To a large bowl, add the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, pita chips, onions, chicken and any cooking juices (loaded with flavor) from the pan; set aside.
- To a medium bowl, add all ingredients, whisk to combine, taste, and check for flavor balance. Add additional salt, pepper, lemon juice, pinch sugar, etc. if necessary, to taste.
- Evenly drizzle sauce over the salad, to taste. Salad is best fresh.
For the Chicken:
For the Salad:
For the Tzatziki Sauce:
- If you want a thicker tzatziki sauce, you may want to wring out the grated cucumber in a clean kitchen towel.
- Extra sauce will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 3 days, noting it may thin out as time passes and the cucumbers release their juices.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 737Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 157mgSodium: 1892mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 6gSugar: 11gProtein: 64g
More Mediterranean Salad Recipes:
Check out 50+ Amazing Easy Salads!
Greek Pita Chip Salad — Greek salad just got a makeover! Still uses classic ingredients like red peppers, cucumbers, onions, olives, and feta but now there are pita chips for extra crunch and texture! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes!
Balsamic Chicken Caprese Salad – Juicy chicken coated in balsamic along with plump tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and basil! Easy, healthy, ready in 15 minutes! The caprese salad you’ll make again and again!
Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Quinoa Salad – (GF) – Trying to keep meals healthier & lighter? Make this easy, refreshing & satisfying salad!
Mediterranean Cobb Salad — This Mediterranean salad easy, healthy, accidentally vegetarian, ready in 10 minutes, and you can easily size the recipe up if you’re making it for a larger group.
Pesto Chicken Caprese Salad — The cooked chicken is tossed with cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, and lightly drizzled with balsamic reduction. All the different textures and flavors complement each other beautifully.
Chicken Orzo Salad — This chicken orzo salad comes together in under 30 minutes and is made with juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumbers, a tangy lemon vinaigrette, and more!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.