Loaded Greek Salad
This post may contain affiliate links.
Loaded Greek Salad — An amped up version of a classic Greek salad with avocado, artichokes, garbanzo beans, and more!! The tangy Greek salad dressing is ready in seconds and is a major flavor booster! Naturally gluten-free and vegetarian!!
What Makes This a Loaded Greek Salad?
I took some liberties and enhanced a traditional Greek salad. This loaded version is loaded with extra goodies.
Namely, the addition of artichoke hearts, garbanzo beans, and creamy avocado gives it a leg up on classic Greek salads. I wouldn’t want to have a Greek salad any other way from now on.
This salad has so many awesome and amazing textures and flavors in every bite. Crunchy red onions and cucumbers, juicy tomatoes, chewy artichokes, buttery garbanzo beans, creamy avocado, and salty olives and feta.
The Greek salad dressing adds so much tangy, sharp flavor and really is a big time flavor powerhouse.
When you look at the big bowl of ingredients and the relatively small quantity of vinaigrette, you’ll wonder how it can flavor everything in that bowl, but it can and does. It’s such a filling and flavorful salad that you never feel like you are ‘missing’ a thing.
What’s in a Greek Salad?
For this loaded Greek salad, you’ll need:
- Red onion
- Black Kalamata olives
- Artichoke hearts (I used Trader Joe’s frozen that I allowed to thaw)
- Garbanzo beans
- Feta cheese
For the Greek salad dressing, which is actually much more along the lines of a vinaigrette, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Red wine or balsamic vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Dijon mustard
- Dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Sugar (optional)
This isn’t sponsored in any way, but every single item I used above is from Trader Joe’s. Just pointing that out for easy one-stop-shopping if you have one in your area.
How to Make Greek Salad
For the salad itself, simply chop up the veggies and toss them together in a bowl.
For the dressing, add all ingredients except the sugar to a small bowl and whisk vigorously to combine. Taste, and optionally add the sugar.
If desired, add a final drizzle of olive oil over the salad, and serve immediately.
What to Serve with Greek Salad
You can enjoy this Greek salad recipe on its own or alongside a heartier main. Here are a few ideas for what to serve with this Greek salad:
- 20-Minute Oven Baked Chicken Breasts
- Grilled Lemon Chicken
- Honey Dijon Salmon
- Sweet Chili Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Steak Kabobs
- Baked Chicken Nuggets with Honey Mustard
- Kicked Up Cornflake Chicken
Greek Salad Variations to Try
Most salad and vinaigrette recipes are pretty flexible and these are no exceptions.
Ideas and suggestions:
- Add red or green bell peppers
- Add green onions
- Use cherry, grape, or another favorite tomato
- Use marinated feta cubes
- Use another kind of olive such as fancier ‘olive bar’ olives
- Adjust the olive oil-to-vinegar ratio to your liking, such as more oil and less vinegar
- Swap grainy mustard for Dijon
- Use a champagne vinegar
- Add garlic to the vinaigrette
Tips for the Best Greek Salad
The salad is naturally gluten-free and vegetarian. If you could find a vegan swap for the feta cheese and omit the Dijon mustard and use a grainy mustard instead, this would become a vegan recipe.
I indicated that the salad serves 8 and if you’re serving it with other things, that’s totally reasonable. However, if you’re just having this salad, I would say it serves four. Of course, appetites vary, so your mileage may vary with the yield.
After being dressed, I suggest consuming the salad as soon as possible. However, it will keep airtight for up to 3 days in the fridge noting that it will become more watery as the vegetables release their juices and the avocado oxidizes.
- 1 small red onion, sliced into thin strips
- 1 medium English cucumber, diced small
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, diced small (another type of tomato may be substituted)
- 2/3 cup black kalamata olives,pitted
- 12 ounces artichoke hearts (I used Trader Joe’s frozen that I allowed to thaw)
- one 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 1 medium Hass avocado, cubed
- 1/3 cup olive oil, plus more for final drizzling if desired
- 2 to 3 tablespoon red wine or balsamic vinegar (balsamic is stronger and will give more bite)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 to 3 teaspoons granulated sugar (optional)
For the Salad:
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl; set aside.
For the Greek Dressing:
- Add all ingredients except sugar to a small bowl and whisk vigorously to combine. Taste, and optionally add the sugar. I personally couldn't go without it because I use the higher end of the spectrum of both vinegar and lemon juice. As desired, add more oil, vinegar, salt/pepper, etc. as desired. Tweak the ingredients to make it your own and suit you.
- When you're happy, pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to coat evenly.
- If desired, add a final drizzle of olive oil over the salad, and serve immediately.
- After being dressed, I suggest consuming salad as soon as possible, but it will keep airtight for up to 3 days in the fridge noting that it will become more watery as the vegetables release their juices and the avocado oxidizes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 279Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 699mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 8gSugar: 7gProtein: 9g
More Healthy Salad Recipes:
30 Best Easy Healthy Salads — Looking for easy salad recipes that are both filling and flavorful? The 30 healthy salads on this list are the BEST salads you’ll ever eat!!
Mediterranean Cobb Salad — This Mediterranean salad easy, healthy, accidentally vegetarian, ready in 10 minutes, and you can easily size the recipe up if you’re making it for a larger group!
Chicken Gyro Salad with Tzatziki Sauce — Chicken gyros transformed into a healthy salad with an easy homemade tzatziki sauce that’s loaded with tangy dill flavor! Ready in 20 minutes!
Greek Pita Chip Salad — Greek salad just got a makeover! Still uses classic ingredients like red peppers, cucumbers, onions, olives, and feta but now there are pita chips for extra crunch and texture! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes!
Greek Lemon Chicken and Orzo – EASY, ready in 25 minutes, and feeds a crowd!! Juicy lemon chicken with orzo, fresh spinach, cucumbers, and tomatoes make this a dinnertime WINNER! Great for parties, picnics, and potlucks!!
Lemon Basil Orzo and Vegetables – An EASY vegan recipe ready in 30 minutes that makes it easy to eat your veggies while enjoying the comforts of pasta, too!! The lemon and basil make the dish taste fresh and light!!
Chicken Orzo Salad – Juicy chicken tossed with orzo, tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, and a super flavorful lemon vinaigrette! Easy, healthy, ready in 30 minutes, and a perfect way to use your garden fresh veggies!
Balsamic Chicken Caprese Salad – Juicy chicken coated in balsamic along with plump tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and basil! Easy, healthy, ready in 15 minutes! The caprese salad you’ll make again and again!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.