Kicked Up Cornflake Chicken
I’ve made plenty of desserts with cornflakes but branched out in a savory direction.
The cornflakes, combined with panko bread crumbs, give the chicken fabulous crunch on the outside while the interior stays soft, juicy, and tender.
You’d swear it was fried but it’s baked and healthier. Score.
Make sure you use panko bread crumbs rather than regular so you get the wonderful crispy effect.
It’s easy, ready in under 30 minutes, made on a sheet pan, and cleanup is as easy as tossing away foil.
It’s a perfect weeknight dinner recipe and way to jazz up your usual chicken.
The sauce is made with a combination of honey, soy sauce, and chili garlic sauce for heat and extra flavor. Look for chili garlic sauce in the Asian section of your regular grocery store. Sriracha may be substituted.
Because chicken, cornflakes, and bread crumbs are all quite bland, the sauce is essential. It really makes the dish pop. Savory, garlicky, with honey and soy for an Asian flair.
Kicked Up Cornflake Chicken
Cornflakes, combined with panko bread crumbs, give the chicken fabulous crunch on the outside while the interior stays soft, juicy, and tender. You’d swear it was fried but it’s baked and healthier. Use panko bread crumbs rather than regular so you get the wonderful crispy effect. It’s easy, ready in under 30 minutes, easy cleanup, and is a perfect weeknight dinner and way to jazz up your usual chicken. The sauce is made with a combination of honey, soy sauce, and chili garlic sauce for heat and extra flavor. Look for chili garlic sauce in the Asian section of your regular grocery store.
- about 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cutlets (this was 9 pieces for me)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (regular paprika may be substituted)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cornflakes, crushed
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lite soy sauce
- 1 heaping tablespoon chili garlic sauce , or to taste (sriracha may be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F, line a baking sheet with foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- Evenly season the chicken with the salt, pepper, smoked paprika; set aside.
- To a medium bowl, add the flour. To a separate medium bowl, add the eggs and lightly beat. To a third medium/large bowl add the cornflakes (I crushed them in my fist), panko, and stir to combine.
- Dredge one piece of chicken through the flour, shaking off the excess. Dip in the egg and dredge through the cornflake-panko mixture. Press the mixture on fairly thick. Place chicken on prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining pieces.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until crust is lightly golden and chicken is cooked through in the center, about 165F. Flip once midway through to ensure even cooking. Cooking time will depend on the thickness of chicken pieces, how much coating you pressed on, oven variances, etc. While chicken cooks, prepared the sauce.
- To a small bowl add the honey, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, and whisk to combine. Taste sauce and make any necessary flavor adjustments if necessary.
- Remove chicken from the oven, evenly drizzle the sauce over chicken to taste, optionally garnish with parsley, and serve immediately. Chicken is best warm and fresh but extra will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days, noting it will lose its crispiness as time passes.
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Favorite EASY CHICKEN RECIPES
Baked Chicken Nuggets with Honey Mustard – You’ll never guess they’re baked and not fried! Crispy on the outside, tender and juicy inside! Goodbye storebought nuggets because homemade are way better!
Baked Parmesan-Crusted Chicken – You’d swear this chicken was fried but it’s baked! The interior is so tender, juicy, and moist while the exterior is extra crispy!! Easy, ready in 25 minutes, and so good!
Sheet Pan Italian Chicken and Vegetables – Fast, easy, one pan recipe that’s full of flavor from balsamic, Italian seasoning, Parmesan cheese, and basil! The chicken is so tender, juicy, and moist!
One-Pan Honey Lemon Chicken and Roasted Potatoes – Juicy chicken with a honey lemon glaze that’s tangy-sweet and so good! Healthy, fast, so easy, and cleanup is a breeze!
Easy Honey Mustard Chicken – Soft, juicy chicken tenders coated with the best honey mustard! Ready in 20 minutes, a family favorite, and a perfect addition to your weeknight dinner rotation!