Baked Parmesan-Crusted Chicken
This is some of the best chicken I’ve made in ages. I make a lot of chicken but this was truly special.
The coating is extra crispy. You think you’re eating chicken that’s been fried but it’s not.
The secret is using panko bread crumbs. They’re extra crispy bread crumbs sold near regular bread crumbs in your regular grocery store and they make all the difference. They’re mandatory for this recipe. If you have extra, make these or these.
The interior is tender, juicy, moist, and absolutely delicious. It’s the perfect complement to the crispy, crunchy exterior.
There’s so much flavor from the Parmesan. It also crisps up along with the bread crumbs.
The chicken is so easy, ready in about 25 minutes, and the best part is that you literally don’t even have to dirty a single bowl and if you line your baking sheet with foil, that’s not even dirty. No need to dip the chicken in eggs and dredge through multiple bowls.
Simply add chicken, olive oil, grated Parmesan, and panko breadcrumbs to a large ziptop plastic bag, seal, shake, and bake. This DIY Shake-And-Bake is a million times better than what I remember from the 80s and will make a regular appearance in our dinner rotation.
Baked Parmesan-Crusted Chicken
This is some of the best chicken I’ve made in ages. The coating is extra crispy. You think you’re eating chicken that’s been fried but it’s not. The secret is using panko bread crumbs. The interior is tender, juicy, moist, and absolutely delicious. It’s the perfect complement to the crispy, crunchy exterior. There’s so much flavor from the Parmesan. It also crisps up along with the bread crumbs. The chicken is so easy, ready in about 25 minutes, and cleanup is a breeze.
- one pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in 4 thin pieces (see tip below)
- about 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 scant cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped for garnishing
- lemon wedges, optional for serving
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, set aside.
- To a large ziptop plastic bag, add the chicken. Tip – I recommend buying one 1-pound breast from your butcher. Slice it in half horizontally so you have two thin halves, then slice each half vertically, so you now have 4 pieces. If you can’t get chicken from the butcher, do your best so you end up with one pound of thinly sliced breasts.
- Add the olive oil, seal bag, and smoosh chicken around so it’s evenly coated with oil.
- Unseal bag, add the panko, parmesan, oregano, salt, pepper, seal, and smoosh chicken around so it’s evenly coated.
- Transfer chicken to baking sheet. There will likely be a fair amount of panko mixture in the bag. Using your hands or a spoon, add a couple tablespoons of the mixture to each breast so it’s quite thickly coated on the top side.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temp of 165F and is lightly golden browned. You don’t have to flip it. I baked for 25 minutes for a richer golden color. Bake until done; all ovens, climates, and thickness of chicken varies and impact baking time.
- Garnish with parsley and optionally serve with lemon. Serve immediately. Chicken is best warm and fresh.
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Favorite EASY CHICKEN RECIPES
Easy Lemon Chicken with Caramelized Lemons – If you like lemons you’re going to love this very lemony lemon chicken! Easy, healthy, ready in 20 minutes, and bursting with bold lemon flavor!
One-Pan Honey Lemon Chicken and Roasted Potatoes – Juicy chicken with a honey lemon glaze that’s tangy-sweet and so good! Healthy, fast, so easy, and cleanup is a breeze!
Honey Lemon Chicken with Angel Hair Pasta – Easy, ready in 20 minutes, and you’ll love the tangy-sweet flavor! A healthy weeknight dinner for those busy nights!
Easy Honey Mustard Chicken – Soft, juicy chicken tenders coated with the best honey mustard! Ready in 20 minutes, a family favorite, and a perfect addition to your weeknight dinner rotation!
Tater-Less Parmesan Zucchini Tots – You’ll never miss the taters! Crispy, crunchy, and sooo good! You’ll forget you’re eating zucchini!
Crispy Roasted Parmesan Chickpeas with Spiced Ranch Dip – Crispy, crunchy and cheesy! You’ll want to devour the whole batch!