Baked Parmesan-Crusted Chicken
This Baked Parmesan-Crusted Chicken tastes like it’s been deep fried, but it hasn’t! Even better, it’s ready in under 30 minutes and is easy to whip up at the last minute.
Baked Parmesan-Crusted Chicken Recipe
This is some of the best chicken I’ve made in ages. I make a lot of chicken, but this was truly special. The coating is extra crispy. You think you’re eating chicken that’s been fried, but it hasn’t been!
The secret is using panko bread crumbs. They’re extra crispy bread crumbs sold near regular bread crumbs in your regular grocery store, and they make all the difference. They’re mandatory for this recipe. If you have extra, make these Parmesan Zucchini Tots or these Crispy Roasted Parmesan Chickpeas.
The interior of this Parmesan crusted chicken is tender, juicy, moist, and absolutely delicious. It’s the perfect complement to the crispy, crunchy exterior. There’s so much flavor from the Parmesan. It also crisps up along with the bread crumbs.
This panko Parmesan chicken is so easy, ready in about 25 minutes, and the best part is that you literally don’t even have to dirty a single bowl. And if you line your baking sheet with foil, even that’s won’t get dirty! No need to dip the chicken in eggs and dredge through multiple bowls.
Simply add chicken, olive oil, grated Parmesan, and panko breadcrumbs to a large ziptop plastic bag, seal, shake, and bake. This DIY Shake-And-Bake is a million times better than what I remember from the ’80s and will make a regular appearance in our dinner rotation.
How to Make Parmesan-Crusted Chicken
Add chicken and olive oil to a large ziptop bag and smoosh the chicken around so it’s evenly coated with oil. Then unseal bag and add in panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan, herbs, and spices. Once again, work the chicken so it gets coated in the spices, cheese, and breadcrumbs.
Transfer chicken to a baking sheet lined with foil. If any of the panko mixture is left in the bag, add a couple tablespoons of it to each breast so it’s quite thickly coated on the top side.
Bake the panko and Parmesan-crusted chicken until fully cooked through and lightly golden brown. Garnish with parsley and squeeze a little lemon juice on top (totally optional, but the bright burst of lemon juice takes this dish to the next level).
Tips for the Best Baked Chicken
For this panko Parmesan chicken recipe, you need one pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts that have been sliced thinly. To make your life easier, I recommend buying one 1-pound breast from your butcher.
Slice it in half horizontally so you have two thin halves, then slice each half vertically, so you now have 4 pieces. If you can’t get chicken from the butcher, just do your best!
Also, you don’t want to flip the chicken at all while it’s baking, otherwise you’ll disturb the panko breadcrumb coating and the chicken might not brown on top. Because the chicken is thinly sliced, it bakes through evenly without help.
More Quick Chicken Dinners:
- Sesame Mango Chicken — An EASY Asian-inspired recipe with tender sesame chicken, juicy mango, and soy-garlic-ginger infused cabbage and carrots!
- 15-Minute Sheet Pan Teriyaki Chicken and Pineapple — Tender chicken, juicy pineapple, and crisp-tender veggies make make for a DELISH one-pan meal with zero cleanup.
- Sheet Pan Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Chicken — A DELISH one-pan juicy chicken dinner that’s ready in 30 minutes with zero cleanup!!
- Sheet Pan Orange Ginger Chicken and Vegetables — Fast, EASY, HEALTHY, and loaded with great orange ginger flavor!
- 20-Minute Chicken Tinga Tacos — FAST, super easy, and the super juicy chicken has AUTHENTIC smoky chipotle FLAVOR!
- one pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in 4 thin pieces (see tip below)
- about 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 scant cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped for garnishing
- lemon wedges, optional for serving
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, set aside.
- To a large ziptop plastic bag, add the chicken. Tip – I recommend buying one 1-pound breast from your butcher. Slice it in half horizontally so you have two thin halves, then slice each half vertically, so you now have 4 pieces. If you can’t get chicken from the butcher, do your best so you end up with one pound of thinly sliced breasts.
- Add the olive oil, seal bag, and smoosh chicken around so it’s evenly coated with oil.
- Unseal bag, add the panko, parmesan, oregano, salt, pepper, seal, and smoosh chicken around so it’s evenly coated.
- Transfer chicken to baking sheet. There will likely be a fair amount of panko mixture in the bag. Using your hands or a spoon, add a couple tablespoons of the mixture to each breast so it’s quite thickly coated on the top side.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temp of 165F and is lightly golden browned. You don’t have to flip it. I baked for 25 minutes for a richer golden color. Bake until done; all ovens, climates, and thickness of chicken varies and impact baking time.
- Garnish with parsley and optionally serve with lemon. Serve immediately. Chicken is best warm and fresh.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 441 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 107mg Sodium: 773mg Carbohydrates: 23g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Protein: 43g
Even More Easy Chicken Recipes:
Easy Lemon Chicken with Caramelized Lemons — If you like lemons you’re going to love this very lemony lemon chicken! Easy, healthy, ready in 20 minutes, and bursting with bold lemon flavor!
One-Pan Honey Lemon Chicken and Roasted Potatoes – Juicy chicken with a honey lemon glaze that’s tangy-sweet and so good! Healthy, fast, so easy, and cleanup is a breeze!
Honey Lemon Chicken with Angel Hair Pasta – Easy, ready in 20 minutes, and you’ll love the tangy-sweet flavor! A healthy weeknight dinner for those busy nights!
Easy Honey Mustard Chicken — Soft, juicy chicken tenders coated with the best honey mustard! Ready in 20 minutes, a family favorite, and a perfect addition to your weeknight dinner rotation!