Healthy Ground Turkey Stir-Fry — An EASY, flavorful, FLEXIBLE stir fry that takes advantage of lean protein and your favorite veggies that you have in your produce drawer!! Ready in 25 minutes and perfect for meal-prepping!!
Easy, Healthy Stir-Fry Recipe
If you’re looking for a new dinner or meal prep recipe that is ready in 25 minutes, easy, and made in one skillet, look no further than this ground turkey stir fry.
It’s made with ground turkey which I feel takes a backseat in the limelight department to ground chicken, although you can use ground chicken here.
It’s healthy, full of flavor from the soy and chili garlic sauces, and has plenty of hearty crisp-tender veggies in every bite.
Even better, it’s such a flexible recipe that you can adapt based on what you have on hand and what you enjoy. Whether you order a stir fry from a healthy delivery service or cook on your own, it’s definitely worth trying.
Ingredients in This Ground Turkey Stir-Fry
I made this healthy meals with ground turkey at a time last spring when we were all scrambling to the grocery stores looking for anything useful that was still on the store shelves.
This recipe was born from what I could find at the store in combination with what I had in my produce drawer.
- Ground turkey
- Orange and yellow bell peppers
- Soy sauce
- Chili garlic sauce
How to Make Ground Turkey Stir-Fry
Like all good stir-fries, this recipe is incredibly easy to prepare! Here’s a broad overview of how this ground turkey dinner idea comes together:
- Add the onion and oils to a high-sided skillet and sauté just until softened.
- Add the ground turkey, carrots, and peppers and continue cooking until the veggies are crisp-tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and pop a lid on the pan. The broccoli needs to steam for about 3 minutes before the stir-fry can be served.
Recipe Substitutions to Try
This healthy stir-fry is very flexible, so feel free to mix and match the ingredients to suit what’s in your fridge. Here are some recipe substitutions you can try:
- Ground chicken, ground beef, or pork sausage
- Yellow or white onion
- Green or poblano peppers
- Cherry tomatoes
- Garbanzo beans
- Stir in noodles
- Wilted spinach or kale
- Sesame seeds or green onions for garnishing
Can This Recipe Be Made in Advance?
Yes! Recipes like these are perfect for meal prepping. I filled up six single-serving plastic containers with the stir-fry on one side, cooked brown rice on the other side, and popped them all into the freezer for a rainy day.
It’s nice to have an easy grab-and-reheat lunch or dinner, especially on busy weeknights.
How Long Will the Stir-Fry Last?
The easy healthy stir-fry will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Tips for Making Turkey Stir-Fry
Because this recipe calls for lots of veggies, make sure to use a high-sided deep and big skillet. They do all wilt and cook down, but before that happens, keep in mind to start out with likely the biggest skillet you have so everything fits and you still have room to toss and stir.
For a spicier stir-fry, add extra chili garlic sauce and / or add red pepper flakes to the dish. You could also top it with an Asian hot sauce, like sriracha.
I prefer to cook stir-fry veggies just until crisp-tender, but you’re welcome to cook yours for longer if you want them to have a softer texture.
What to Serve with Ground Turkey Stir-Fry
Serve this healthy dinner with one or more of the following sides to make it a full meal:
- Steamed white or brown rice
- Low-carb cauliflower rice
- Fried rice (omit the chicken)
- Sweet and sour noodles
- Fresh spring rolls
Pin This Recipe
Healthy Ground Turkey Stir Fry
An EASY, flavorful, FLEXIBLE stir fry that takes advantage of lean protein and your favorite veggies that you have in your produce drawer!! Ready in 25 minutes and perfect for meal-prepping!!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if necessary
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sesame oil, or as desired
- 1 large sweet Vidalia onion, diced small
- 1 pound ground turkey (ground chicken, ground pork sausage, or ground beef may be substituted)
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and diced small
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced small
- 1 1/2 cups baby carrots, halved
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce, or as desired
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce, or as desired (start with 1 teaspoon if you're sensitive to heat and work up from there)
- 1 large zucchini, diced into bite-sized piece
- 1 broccoli crown, diced into bite-sized florets
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To a large and high-sided skillet, add the oils, onion, and saute over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes, or until onion is beginning to soften; stir frequently.
- Add the turkey, peppers, carrots, and cook over medium-high heat for about 7 minutes, or until turkey is cooked through and vegetables are crisp-tender. Crumble and stir the turkey as it cooks to ensure even cooking.
- Add the soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, and stir to incorporate evenly.
- Add the zucchini, broccoli, stir to combine, and cover the skillet with a lid to encourage the broccoli to steam. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until broccoli is as tender as desired.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Recipe will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 351Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 740mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 22g
More Easy Stir-Fry Recipes:
15-Minute Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry with Ramen Noodles — Don’t call for takeout when you can make this EASY Asian stir fry in minutes!! HEALTHIER and faster than takeout and great for busy weeknights!!
Chicken Stir-Fry with Noodles — Skip takeout and make this EASY stir fry that’s ready in 15 minutes!! Loaded with juicy chicken, crisp-tender veggies, comforting noodles, and Asian-inspired flavors! Perfect for busy weeknights!!
Healthy Vegetable Stir-Fry— Even if you’re not a big broccoli or vegetable lover, or if you have veggie-resistant family members, this vegetable stir-fry recipe is packed with so much flavor that everyone will forget how healthy it is and how many stir-fry veggies they’re eating!
Better-Than-Takeout Cashew Chicken – Juicy chicken, crisp-tender vegetables, and crunchy cashews coated with the best garlicky soy sauce! Skip takeout and make your own restaurant-quality meal that’s easy, ready in 20 minutes, and healthier!
Mandarin Chicken Stir Fry — An EASY Asian stir fry with tender chicken, juicy oranges, and veggies!! Skip takeout and make this ONE skillet recipe that’s ready in 15 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights!!
Skinny Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Stir-Fry — Even people who don’t like cauliflower will be amazed at how authentic and DELICIOUS this SKINNY version of chicken fried rice tastes!! Easy, ready in 15 minutes, and so much HEALTHIER than calling for takeout!!
Thai Coconut Chicken Stir-Fry — The stir fry is easy, ready in 20 minutes, and has texture and layers of flavor galore. Mix and match ingredients based on what you have on hand and enjoy including the vegetables, seasonings, and herbs. It’s so versatile and healthy.
This recipe is excellent. I used Foster Farms organic groung turkey and Lee Kum Kee chili garlic sauce and followed the recipe exactly. Would make it again for guests.
Thanks for the 5 star review and I’m glad it turned out excellently for you!