Honey Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes
How I love sweet potatoes. Let me count the ways.
This version is great because the edges crisp up slightly while the interior stays buttery soft and there’s honey butter on top. Swoon.
They’re a cinch to make and you don’t need to bother peeling them.
Since you don’t have to wait for a whole potato to cook, they’re faster which makes them a nice option for a weeknight dinner side dish.
They remind me of these Honey-Roasted Sweet Potatoes which are a personal and reader favorite. Both this recipe and that one read sweeter rather than more savory.
I added honey butter to these after baking (or try Creamy Honey Cinnamon Dip) but you could easily take them savory by adding crumbled bacon, green onions, sour cream, or your favorite potato toppings.
Honey Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes
The edges crisp up slightly while the interior stays buttery soft and there’s honey butter on top. They’re a cinch to make, you don’t need to bother peeling them, they’re ready fairly quickly, and great for a weeknight dinner side dish. I added honey butter baking but you could easily take them savory by adding crumbled bacon, green onions, sour cream, or your favorite potato toppings.
- about 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (2 large or 3 medium), sliced into approximately 1 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup (half of one stick) unsalted butter, very soft
- 2 to 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, optional and to taste
- brown sugar, optional for garnishing
- salt, optional and to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easier cleanup; set aside.
- Add potato slices to baking sheet (if using a medium potato, you can quarter it; if using a large, make about 5 rounds)
- Evenly drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes and toss with your hands to evenly coat.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender, or nearly so, in the center.
- Flip and bake for about more 5 minutes, or as needed until they’re fork tender.
- Using a fork, lightly mash the potatoes but don’t go overboard because you want them to stay intact.
- Return baking sheet to the oven and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until they crisp up a bit or as desired.
- While potatoes bake, prepare the honey butter (or make this Creamy Honey Cinnamon Dip) by adding the butter and desired amount of honey to a small bowl, optionally add the cinnamon, and stir to combine; set aside until potatoes are done.
- After potatoes are done, add a bit of honey butter to the center of each, and optionally add a pinch of salt to the top of each. Serve immediately. Potatoes are best warm and fresh.
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Honey-Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Honey-Cinnamon Dip – The honey glaze and the creamy cinnamon dip make these potatoes irresistible!
Sweet Potato Casserole with Butter Pecan Crumble Topping – The holiday classic just got even better because of the amazing topping! A buttery, brown sugary, crunch that’s irresistible! Easy and you can pre-assemble to save time!
Curry Coconut Oil Sweet Potato Fries with Cucumber Dill Dip – A fast and flavorful twist on sweet potatoes! The warming notes of the curry are perfectly offset by the cooling dip! Comfort food that’s healthy and easy!
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad – Goodbye mayo-loaded, mushy, boring potato salad. Hello to a Mexican-inspired potato salad full of flavor and texture with corn, black beans, peppers, and cilantro!
Baked Thick-Cut Seasoned Oven Fries – Learn the secrets to creating restaurant-style oven fries! They’re baked rather than fried so you can have extra!
Cheese, Black Beans, and Corn-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Avocado Crema – A healthy meal that’s easy, ready in 15 minutes, satisfying & doesn’t taste like health food!
Sweet Potato, Corn, and Black Bean Enchiladas – (vegetarian) – Healthier comfort food that everyone will love! Fast, easy, and tastes amazing!