Honey Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes
This post may contain affiliate links.
Honey Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes — Soft, tender potatoes with crispy skin and the most HEAVENLY melted honey butter on top!! EASY comfort food that’s a perfect side dish anytime!!
Easy Sweet Potato Side Dish
How I love sweet potatoes. Let me count the ways.
This sweet potato side dish is great because the edges crisp up slightly while the interior stays buttery soft and there’s honey butter on top. Swoon.
They’re a cinch to make and you don’t need to bother peeling them. Since you don’t have to wait for a whole potato to cook, they’re faster which makes them a nice option for a weeknight dinner side dish.
They remind me of these Honey-Roasted Sweet Potatoes, which are a personal and reader favorite. Both this recipe and that one read sweeter rather than more savory.
What’s in Smashed Sweet Potatoes?
To make this sweet potato side dish recipe, you’ll need:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Olive oil
- Unsalted butter
How to Make Smashed Sweet Potatoes
Slice sweet potatoes into 1.5-inch rounds, then place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, then bake until fork tender.
Using a fork, lightly mash the potatoes but don’t go overboard because you want them to stay intact. Return baking sheet to the oven and bake until they crisp up a bit.
After potatoes are done, add a bit of honey butter to the center of each, and optionally add a pinch of salt to the top of each.
Can I Make This Recipe Vegan?
Yes, very easily! Use vegan butter and pure maple syrup in place of the unsalted butter and honey. The flavor profile will be different, but I bet it’d still taste delicious!
Tips for Making This Sweet Potato Side
You don’t need to peel the sweet potatoes before slicing and baking them. The skin crisps up and tastes delicious!
I added honey butter to these after baking (or try Creamy Honey Cinnamon Dip) but you could easily take them savory by adding crumbled bacon, green onions, sour cream, or your favorite potato toppings.
If using the honey butter, I highly recommend adding a sprinkle of brown sugar, salt, and / or cinnamon to the smashed sweet potatoes as well.
- about 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (2 large or 3 medium), sliced into approximately 1 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup (half of one stick) unsalted butter, very soft
- 2 to 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, optional and to taste
- brown sugar, optional for garnishing
- salt, optional and to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easier cleanup; set aside.
- Add potato slices to baking sheet (if using a medium potato, you can quarter it; if using a large, make about 5 rounds)
- Evenly drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes and toss with your hands to evenly coat.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender, or nearly so, in the center.
- Flip and bake for about more 5 minutes, or as needed until they’re fork tender.
- Using a fork, lightly mash the potatoes but don’t go overboard because you want them to stay intact.
- Return baking sheet to the oven and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until they crisp up a bit or as desired.
- While potatoes bake, prepare the honey butter (or make this Creamy Honey Cinnamon Dip) by adding the butter and desired amount of honey to a small bowl, optionally add the cinnamon, and stir to combine; set aside until potatoes are done.
- After potatoes are done, add a bit of honey butter to the center of each, and optionally add a pinch of salt to the top of each.
- Serve immediately. Potatoes are best warm and fresh.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 373Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 254mgCarbohydrates: 73gFiber: 10gSugar: 32gProtein: 6g
More Sweet Potato Side Dish Recipes:
Honey-Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Honey-Cinnamon Dip — The honey glaze and the creamy cinnamon dip make these potatoes irresistible!
Sweet Potato Casserole with Butter Pecan Crumble Topping — The holiday classic just got even better because of the amazing topping! A buttery, brown sugary, crunch that’s irresistible! Easy and you can pre-assemble to save time!
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad – Goodbye mayo-loaded, mushy, boring potato salad. Hello to a Mexican-inspired potato salad full of flavor and texture with corn, black beans, peppers, and cilantro!
Roasted Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole – A HEALTHIER and DELICIOUS twist on sweet potato casserole!! The potatoes and apples retain some texture with the perfect amount of crumble topping!
Sweet Potato Casserole With Potato Chip Topping – A fun and EASY twist on classic sweet potato casserole that uses potato chips in the topping for a SALTY-SWEET flavor the whole family will love!
Roasted Fall Vegetables with Chickpeas — Fast, easy, HEALTHY, and a great recipe to try as a meatless main or as a satisfying plant-based lunch!! So much FLAVOR in the veggies from the spices and the chickpeas turn crispy!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.