Loaded Twice Baked Potato Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links.
Loaded Twice Baked Potato Casserole — Tender potatoes mixed with butter, cheese, sour cream, bacon, and green onions for the ultimate in LOADED baked potatoes!! AMAZING comfort food that’s irresistible!!
Loaded Baked Potato Casserole
This is my family’s idea of dream food. Warm cheesy potatoes mixed with all of your favorite loaded baked potato toppings.
Not exactly health food, but definitely delicious comfort food. There are so many great flavors in every single bite from cheese to bacon to green onions.
This loaded potato casserole is an easy side dish that literally could be a meal in itself because it’s so hearty and filling. Or serve this twice baked potato casserole alongside your favorite main course protein, like beef or chicken. No one will walk away hungry, that’s for sure.
It’s perfect for family gatherings, holiday meals, or game day parties. Hello, football season, here’s looking at all you hungry fans.
What’s in Twice Baked Potato Casserole?
To make this loaded potato casserole, you’ll need:
- Unsalted butter
- Sour cream
- Salt and pepper
- Shredded cheese
- Cooked bacon
- Green onions
How to Make Twice Baked Potato Casserole
Start by baking two pounds worth of Russet or baking potatoes (this was 5 potatoes for me), scoop out the flesh, discard the skins, and mix the flesh with all kinds of goodness. Butter, sour cream, milk, cheese, bacon and green onions.
Transfer the potato mixture to a baking or casserole dish, sprinkle with more cheese, and bake until the cheese layer on top is as melted and browned as desired.
We love it when cheese gets a little browned around the edges but if you don’t, pull it out as soon as you’re ready.
Can I Prep Baked Potato Casserole in Advance?
While I haven’t personally tried it, I am 99% percent sure that you could bake the potatoes the first time, scoop out the flesh, mix with all the add-ins, and get it assembled in a casserole dish and ready for the second baking and refrigerate it.
When when you’re ready, just bake it off and serve. Mmm, carby, decadent, deliciousness right there.
Tips for Making Twice Baked Potato Casserole
I recommend using a good baking potato for this loaded baked potato casserole, such as Russet potatoes. You don’t want to use smaller, waxy potatoes (which are usually better for mashing).
To make your life easier, I recommend using one 2-ounce package of pre-cooked bacon from the store. Simply microwave it for about 1 minute to heat it through before mixing it into the loaded potato casserole.
You’re welcome to use any shredded cheese or cheese blend you like in this easy potato casserole. I prefer using a sharp cheddar, but to each their own!
- 2 pounds baking potatoes (such as Russet), scrubbed and pierced
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup sour cream (I used lite)
- 1/2 cup milk (I used whole)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 3 cups shredded cheese (I used a cheddar blend)
- 10 to 12 strips bacon, cooked and diced small, with 2 tablespoons reserved
- 1/3 cup green onions, with 2 tablespoons reserved
- Preheat oven to 425F (if you have convection, this is a great time to use it).
- Pierce each potato 4 or 5 times with a fork or knife so they don’t explode, place them directly on the oven grates, and bake for about 45 to 60 minutes, or until potatoes are done and tender. Optionally rotate or flip halfway through the baking period.
- After potatoes are done, reduce oven temp to 350F.
- To a large bowl, add the butter; set aside.
- Allow the potatoes to cool for about 10 to 15 minutes, and when they’re cool enough to handle, slice each one in half horizontally. Scoop out the flesh into the large bowl with the butter, discard the skins, and mash with a fork or potato masher and incorporate the butter into the potatoes.
- Add the sour cream, milk, salt, pepper, and stir to combine.
- Add about 2 to 2 1/2 cups cheese, add the bacon and green onions (reserve 2 tablespoons of each), and stir to combine.
- Spray a 3-quart casserole or baking dish with cooking spray, turn the potato mixture out into dish, and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Evenly sprinkle the remaining 1/2 to 1 cup cheese, evenly sprinkle the reserved bacon, and bake for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and is as golden browned as desired.
- Evenly sprinkle with the reserved green onions and serve immediately.
- Tip – Use one 2-ounce package of precooked bacon and simply microwave it for about 1 minute to heat it through.
- Recipe is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 1 week.
More Potato Side Dishes:
Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Topping— This is the BEST sweet potato casserole ever!! The sweet potatoes are tender and creamy, while the streusel topping adds a delightful buttery crunch thanks to the pecans!
Bacon Potato Salad — There’s NO MAYO in this easy potato salad that’s loaded with BACON, corn, red onions, and tossed with a flavorful dijon dressing!! Always a FAVORITE at picnics, potlucks, parties, and events!!
Parmesan and Herb Roasted Potatoes — Easiest potatoes ever and packed with so much flavor! Olive oil, herbs, and everything is better with CHEESE!! A family favorite that everyone loves!
Roasted Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole – A HEALTHIER and DELICIOUS twist on sweet potato casserole!! The potatoes and apples retain some texture with the perfect amount of crumble topping!
Baked Thick-Cut Seasoned Oven Fries – Learn the secrets to creating restaurant-style oven fries! They’re baked rather than fried so you can have extra!
Honey-Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Honey-Cinnamon Dip – The honey glaze and the creamy cinnamon dip make these potatoes irresistible!
Cheesy Loaded Scalloped Potatoes — All the fixings of loaded baked potatoes are baked right into these tender, comforting, creamy, cheesy potatoes.
Honey Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes – Soft, tender potatoes with crispy skin and the most heavenly melted honey butter on top! Easy comfort food that’s a perfect side dish anytime!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.