Peanut Butter Blossoms
This post may contain affiliate links.
Peanut Butter Blossoms — These peanut butter blossoms feature soft and chewy peanut butter cookies topped with a Hershey’s chocolate kiss. A classic Christmas cookie recipe!
Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
Peanut butter blossoms is such a classic recipe, especially around the holidays. How I’ve written a peanut butter cookbook with 100+ recipes and have 30+ different peanut butter cookie recipes on my blog, but don’t have a recipe for this classic is beyond me.
So now I’ve changed that.
And in case you’re noticing the tiny flecks in them, they’re flecks of vanilla bean from the vanilla I used. I could bathe in vanilla.
I used the same base I used here because the cookies are perfectly soft yet have enough chewiness to satisfy without being crunchy or crumbly. Don’t overbake them. Err on the side of pale, glossy, and underdone looking if you’re in doubt and they’ll stay soft for days.
For me, there’s nothing worse than a cookie exchange and ending up with a dozen crunchy peanut butter blossoms. These aren’t crunchy and that’s a holiday blessing.
The chocolate Kiss on top is classic and reminds me of baking holiday cookies with my grandma when I was growing up. We hardly had enough Kisses in the bag to top all the cookies after I got done unwrapping and sneaking just a few.
What’s in Peanut Butter Blossoms?
To make these Hershey’s peanut butter blossoms, you’ll need:
- Unsalted butter
- Light brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Creamy peanut butter
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Hershey’s Kisses
How to Make Peanut Butter Blossoms
This is such an easy Christmas cookie recipe! Simply cream together the egg, butter, and sugars until light and fluffy. Then, add in the remaining wet ingredients, followed by the dry.
Scoop the cookie dough into balls and chill for at least 3 hours. Once chilled, roll the cookie dough in additional sugar and place the dough onto a Silpat-lined baking tray. Bake until the edges have set and the tops are just set, even if slightly undercooked, pale, and glossy in the center.
Once the cookies are out of the oven, immediately press a Hershey’s Kiss into the center of each cookie. If desired, press the Kiss down a bit further to create cracks in your peanut butter blossoms.
Do I Have to Chill the Cookie Dough?
Yes, you MUST chill the cookie dough before baking it. Do not bake with unchilled dough, because the peanut blossoms will bake thinner, flatter, and be more prone to spreading.
Can I Use Natural Peanut Butter?
No. As much as I love natural and homemade peanut butter, it’s best if you use something like Jif or Skippy in these peanut butter blossoms. Natural peanut butter is too greasy and will result in the wrong texture.
Tips for Making Peanut Butter Blossoms
You don’t have to roll these peanut butter blossom cookies in sugar before baking them, but I highly recommend doing so as the sugar adds some texture to the cookies and some extra sweetness.
After pressing the Kisses into the center of the peanut butter blossoms, you should wait at least 15 minutes before serving them so the chocolate has time to adhere to the cookies. You don’t want the Kisses falling off after you bite into the peanut blossoms!
If you plan on freezing these peanut butter blossoms, be sure to do so after you’ve pressed the Hershey’s Kisses into the centers. Otherwise they won’t be true peanut butter blossoms.
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar + 1/3 cup for rolling, optional
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (something like Skippy or Jif works best, don’t use a ‘natural’ peanut butter that separates)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 22 Hershey’s Kisses, unwrapped
- To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or large bowl and electric hand mixer), add the egg, butter, brown sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and cream on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the peanut butter, vanilla, and mix on medium-high speed until incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the flour, baking soda, salt, and mix on low speed until just incorporated, about 1 minute; don’t overmix.
- Using a two-tablespoon cookie scoop form approximately 22 equal-sized mounds of dough.
- Preheat oven to 350F, line a baking sheet with a Silpat or spray with cooking spray.
- Optionally (but recommended) add 1/3 cup sugar to shallow bowl and roll dough mounds through sugar.
- Place dough mounds on baking sheet, spaced at least 2 inches apart (I bake 8 cookies per sheet) and bake for about 8 to 11 minutes, or until edges have set and tops are just set, even if slightly undercooked, pale, and glossy in the center; don’t overbake. Cookies firm up as they cool. I let them cool on the baking sheet and don’t use a rack.
- Immediately place one Kiss in the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly so the edges crack a bit if desired.
- Allow cookies to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving, or until chocolate has had time to set up and has ‘glued’ onto the cookie.
- Cookies will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Alternatively, unbaked cookie dough can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 4 months, so consider baking only as many cookies as desired and save the remaining dough to be baked in the future when desired.
- Adapted from Peter Pan Neverland Cookies.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 166Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 104mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 3g
More Peanut Butter Cookie Recipes:
I wrote a Peanut Butter Cookbook with 100+ recipes using Peanut Butter!
Reese’s Pieces Soft Peanut Butter Cookies – Peanut butter lovers’ will go nuts for these super soft cookies loaded with Reese’s Pieces and chocolate!
Peter Pan Neverland Chocolate Chip Cookies — Soft and chewy peanut butter cookies loaded with chocolate chips! The combination of peanut butter and chocolate is irresistible!
The Best Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies – Soft, chewy and they’ll be your new fave PB cookies! One bowl, no mixer, no butter, naturally gluten-free! Love it when something so easy tastes so amazing!
Big Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Crinkle Cookies – Super chewy, packed with PB flavor and just made for breaking apart at the crinkly seams!
Easy 4-Ingredient Perfect Peanut Butter Cookies – Soft, chewy, and made with an ingredient you’d never guess! It works and they’re perfect!!
Inside-Of-A-Peanut-Butter-Cup Cookies – Soft cookies that taste like the inside of peanut butter cups thanks to a special ingredient!
Soft and Chewy Triple Peanut Butter Cookies – PB is used 3 different ways in these melt-in-your mouth cookies! Batch size of just 8 cookies when you don’t ‘need’ dozens laying around!
Triple Peanut Butter Cookie Pie – This fast & easy cookie pie has peanut butter worked in 3 different ways!
Soft and Chewy Toffee and Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies (GF) – No butter and no flour used, super soft and chewy!
Trail Mix Peanut Butter Cookies – NO Butter and NO Flour in these healthier cookies with trail mix baked right in!
Soft and Puffy Peanut Butter Coconut Oil Cookies – NO Butter and NO White Sugar used in these soft, puffy cookies that are bursting with peanut butter flavor. If you’ve wanted to start baking with coconut oil, these are so easy!
Thick and Soft Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies (GF) – NO butter & NO flour used in these thick cookies that taste like peanut butter brownies!
Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies – 3 favorite cookies combined into 1 so you don’t have to choose!! Easy, no-mixer recipe, and always a hit!
Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter-Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookie Cups – Two kinds of PB in an extra-thick, soft, and chewy cookie!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups – Supremely soft cookies and impossible to spread or goof up! Ready in 20 minutes!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.