Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Nutter Butter Bars
This post may contain affiliate links.
Peanut butter, peanut butter cookies, and chocolate. Sounds like a good idea to me.
And dangerously fast and easy to make.
Even after writing a cookbook with 100+ peanut butter recipes, I can never have too much peanut butter. What better way to work it in than via Nutter Butters. If you’ve never had them, they’re peanut butter-sandwich cookies with a peanut butter filling.
If you don’t have Nutter Butter’s in your area, try a storebrand peanut butter-sandwich cookie or vanilla-sandwich cookies like Golden Oreos. You’ll miss out on some of the peanut butter flavor, but it’s better to substitute than miss out on the recipe.
Simply melt one stick of butter in a bowl in the micro, stir in an egg, brown sugar, peanut butter, and flour, before folding in diced Nutter Butters and chocolate chips.
I reserved a couple tablespoons each of diced cookies and chocolate chips and sprinkled them on top before baking so that I could really see those big, chunky cookie hunks and melty chocolate in each bite.
We eat with our eyes first, and my eyes like to see cookies and chocolate.
The bars have a nice peanut butter flavor, but it’s not overpowering, and the buttery, rich dough shines.
Chocolate and peanut butter go hand in hand, and the semi-sweet chocolate is perfect against the sweetness of the Nutter Butters.
The chunks of cookies are a wonderful contrast to the otherwise smooth, dense dough. Although the Nutter Butters soften slightly while baking, they provide a serious dose of texture.
It’s a small batch recipe, making about 9 bars in an 8-inch pan.
It’s a good thing I made these last week before I picked up my daughter at school. I ate one, gave one each to my husband and daughter, and promptly donated the rest of the pan to my daughter’s teachers.
It’s way too easy to go to town on peanut butter and chocolate. Especially vis soft, dense, moist cookie bars, packed with peanut butter and chocolate.
About midnight when my inner snacking monster comes out, it’s really good these weren’t around.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 10 Nabisco Nutter Butter Cookies
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl melt the butter, about 1 minute on high power.
- Wait momentarily before adding the egg so you don’t scramble it. Add the egg, brown sugar, vanilla, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the peanut butter and stir until smooth.
- Add the flour and stir until just combined, don’t overmix.
- Stir in most of the chopped Nutter Butters, reserving about 1/4 cup to be sprinkled on top.
- Stir in most of the chocolate chips, reserving about 2 tablespoons to be sprinkled on top.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula.
- Evenly sprinkle the reserved Nutter Butters and reserved chocolate chips over the top, lightly pressing them down with your finger or a spatula.
- Bake for about 28 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center (if you can find a bare patch to test) comes out mostly clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. Allow bars to cool in pan for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving. Bars will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 140mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 5g
Loaded M&M Oreo Cookie Bars – Same concept as today’s bars, minus the peanut butter element and with Oreos and M&M’s instead
Nutter Butter Special K Bars (No Bake) – Special K, Peanut Butter, Nutter Butter Cookies form the base, topped with chocolate
Triple Peanut Butter Monster Cookie Bars – Peanut butter is used 3 different ways. Great for pantry odds-and-ends cleanout
Nutella-Swirled Peanut Butter Chip Blondies – Dense, rich, and fudge-like
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookie Bars – Dense, soft, chewy, and loaded with chocolate chunks
Peanut Butter Comfort, my cookbook featuring 100+ Peanut Butter Recipes
Do you like Nutter Butters?
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.