Pink and Purple Potato Salad
This post may contain affiliate links.
Pink and purple food. Yes it’s a thing. Can anyone resist pretty pink and purple potato salad? I think not.
I’d much rather have this than your average run-of-the-mill potato salad.
I replaced the heavy mayo, mushy potatoes, and hard-boiled eggs with pretty pink (red) and purple potatoes, crisp pink and purple radishes, and crunchy red onions. Lots of flavors and textures in every bite.
I used one bunch of ‘Easter egg radishes’ from Whole Foods and baby multi-colored potatoes (red, purple, Yukon gold) from Trader Joe’s. Use what you can find in your area.
Everything is tossed in a light yet flavorful dressing made with olive oil, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, and garlic.
There’s no mayo so it feels lighter and as a bonus you don’t have to worry about it as much at warm outdoor potlucks, picnics, and events. It’s perfect for Memorial Day, Fourth of July, or Labor Day parties.
It’s easy, ready in about 30 minutes, and you can serve it right away or chilled. Either way it’s a great side that’s naturally gluten-free, vegan, and will be sure to disappear anytime you make it.
- 2 pounds baby purple, red, and Yukon gold potatoes (I get mine at Trader Joe’s)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, for the boiling water
- 1 cup pink and purple (Easter egg) radishes, trimmed and very thinly sliced (red or other radishes may be substituted)
- 2/3 cup red onion, diced small (rinse in cold water to mellow the bite)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- heaping 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced or pressed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, or to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley (regular or Italian flat-leaf), finely chopped
- To a large pot, add the potatoes, cover with water, add 2 teaspoons salt, bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and allow potatoes to simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until done and fork-tender. Drain and rinse potatoes under cold water to stop the cooking process; set aside to cool. When they’re cool, halve, quarter, or chop the potatoes into bite-sized pieces.
- To a very large bowl, add the chopped potatoes, radishes, and red onion; set aside.
- To a small bowl, add the olive oil, mustard, red wine vinegar, garlic, sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, pepper, and whisk to combine.
- Evenly drizzle the dressing over the potatoes in the large bowl, add the parsley, and stir to combine. Taste potato salad and make any necessary adjustments, i.e. more salt, pepper, sugar, dash of extra mustard, oil, vinegar, etc. Serve immediately if desired or cover and refrigerate until chilled. Potato salad will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Adapted from Bacon Potato Salad
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 102Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 759mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
Bacon Potato Salad – There’s no mayo in this easy potato salad that’s loaded with bacon, corn, red onions, and tossed with a flavorful dijon dressing! Always a favorite at picnics, potlucks, parties, and events!
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad – Goodbye mayo-loaded, mushy, boring potato salad. Hello to a Mexican-inspired potato salad full of flavor and texture with corn, black beans, peppers, and cilantro! Great for outdoor events and lunchboxes because there’s no mayo!
Parmesan and Herb Roasted Potatoes – Easiest potatoes ever and packed with so much flavor! Olive oil, herbs, and everything is better with cheese! A family favorite that everyone loves!
Curry Coconut Oil Sweet Potato Fries with Cucumber Dill Dip – A fast and flavorful twist on sweet potatoes! The warming notes of the curry are perfectly offset by the cooling dip! Comfort food that’s healthy and easy!
Honey-Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Honey-Cinnamon Dip – The honey glaze and the creamy cinnamon dip make these potatoes irresistible!!
Baked Thick-Cut Seasoned Oven Fries – Learn the secrets to creating restaurant-style oven fries! They’re baked rather than fried so you can have extra!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.