Spinach And Artichoke Quinoa Salad
This post may contain affiliate links.
Spinach And Artichoke Quinoa Salad – All the flavors of classic spinach and artichoke dip are in this HEALTHY salad!! The only thing that’s missing is tons of fat and calories! FAST, EASY, naturally gluten-free, vegetarian, and tastes DELISH!!
Recently I was having a spinach and artichoke dip craving but wanted to partake in a healthier version. I don’t know about you, but I can sit down with a restaurant-sized bowl of spinach and artichoke dip and eat the entire thing myself along with a half pound of bread and tons of tortilla chips.
And wash it down with plenty of margaritas. So good but not something I should do often.
Fast, Easy, Healthier
This naturally gluten-free and vegetarian salad made with quinoa is just the ticket to put a healthier spin on classic spinach and artichoke dip.
It’s easy, ready in 25 minutes, and gives you all the flavors you’re looking for minus some of the guilt. It’s creamy, cheesy, has texture from fresh spinach and artichokes, and it’s oh so good.
The Spinach And The Artichokes
You can’t have spinach and artichoke anything without, well obviously, spinach and artichokes.
I used fresh spinach and although it wilts some after coming in contact with the warm quinoa and lightly caramelized onions, it retains a better texture than frozen spinach. I didn’t want the pulverized texture of frozen spinach here either.
For the artichokes I used frozen artichoke hearts that I thawed. If you have a Trader Joe’s in your area, I love their frozen artichokes. I always have them on hand and toss them in everything from salads to on the grill when I’m grilling other veggies.
Although jarred artichokes in oil, or artichokes that you’ll often find at the olive bar of most major grocery stores would be fine, they’re greasier and saltier than what I was looking for.
What Else Is In The Salad
A mixture of Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, and Parmesan cheese tie everything together and lend creaminess and a perfect amount of saltiness to the salad.
I use 0% fat Greek yogurt, light mayo, and real Paremesan cheese. Don’t buy the green stuff in the can. You could use sour cream rather than Greek yogurt if you prefer.
A Healthy Secret
But I’ll tell you a secret. I liked this salad just as much before I added the Greek yogurt, mayo, and Parm as I did afterwards.
Sure, they lend a creaminess and a richness that you can’t get without them. But if you’re in the mood for something ultra light and fresh like I am many times, go ahead and skip them or use less.
And at that point, the salad is vegan and super healthy but it’s still so satisfying.
Other favorite quinoa recipes:
- 30 Best Easy Healthy Salads – Break out of your salad rut with these amazing salads! Fast, easy, and flavorful! You’ll want to put them into your regular rotation!
- Garden Fresh Quinoa Salad – Loaded with everything fresh, light, healthy, and summery! Great for parties, potlucks, and lunch boxes because there’s no mayo! Make this easy and flavorful dish before summer disappears!
- Lemon, Sun-Dried Tomato, and Almond Quinoa Salad – Fast, easy, and fresh! Bright flavors and loads of texture! This clean-eating salad keeps you full and satisfied! Healthy never tasted so good! No mayo and great for outdoor events or lunch boxes!
- Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Quinoa Salad – Trying to keep meals healthier and lighter? Make this easy, refreshing and satisfying salad!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large or extra-large yellow onion, peeled and diced small
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 3 cups fresh spinach (3 heaping handfuls)
- 12 ounces artichoke hearts, halved if they're very large (I use frozen that I thaw first, artichokes in oil that have been drained may be substituted)
- 2 to 3 green onions, sliced into thin rounds
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I use 0% fat, sour cream may be substituted)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (I use light)
- 1/2 cup shaved or grated real parmesan cheese, or as desired
- To a large skillet or saucepan, add the olive oil, onions, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until onions have softened and just begin to lightly caramelize, about 7 minutes.
- Add the quinoa, stir it into the onions, and let it toast for about 30 seconds.
- Add the water, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, stir to combine, reduce the heat to low, cover pan, and cook for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Transfer quinoa and onions to a very large bowl, and add the spinach, artichokes, green onions, Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, and and stir to combine.
- Add the parmesan and stir to combine.
- Taste and check for seasoning balance, adding salt, pepper, and an additional dollop of Greek yogurt or mayo if desired. Dish can be served warm and immediately or stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 790mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 11g
30 Best Easy Healthy Salads – Break out of your salad rut with these amazing salads! Fast, easy, and flavorful! You’ll want to put them into your regular rotation!
Lemon, Sun-Dried Tomato, and Almond Quinoa Salad – Fast, easy, and fresh! Bright flavors and loads of texture! This clean-eating salad keeps you full and satisfied! Healthy never tasted so good! No mayo and great for outdoor events or lunch boxes!
Garden Fresh Quinoa Salad – Loaded with everything fresh, light, healthy, and summery! Great for parties, potlucks, and lunch boxes because there’s no mayo! Make this easy and flavorful dish before summer disappears!
Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Quinoa Salad (GF) – Trying to keep meals healthier and lighter? Make this easy, refreshing and satisfying salad!
Tabbouleh – Never had it? Think couscous or quinoa mixed with vegetables, herbs, lemon and olive oil! Easy, no cooking required, healthy, and packed with so much flavor! Great for outdoor events because there’s no mayo!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.