Strawberry Cream Cheese Shortbread Bars
A few years ago I made these Almond Cream Cheese Shortbread Bars and realized the bars are perfect with strawberries as well.
My eyes were bigger than my stomach when I bought 5 pounds of strawberries and using some in this dessert was a necessary move.
The easy bars consist of a buttery shortbread crust that’s topped with a cream cheese and an almond extract flavored filling before frosting the bars and topping with strawberries.MY OTHER RECIPES
I love almond extract, it’s used in both the filling and the frosting, and the flavor really shines though. If you’re not as fond of it, you can scale back the quantity or replace it with vanilla extract.
But I can’t imagine doing either since I want to wear almond extract as perfume.
Juicy strawberries, sweet frosting, a filling that’s slightly tangy from the cream cheese, and a buttery crust is a perfect marriage of flavors and textures.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Shortbread Bars
The easy bars consist of a buttery shortbread crust that’s topped with a cream cheese and an almond extract flavored filling before frosting the bars and topping with strawberries. If you’re not as fond of almond extract, you can scale back the quantity or replace it with vanilla extract. Juicy strawberries, sweet frosting, a filling that’s slightly tangy from the cream cheese, and a buttery crust is a perfect marriage of flavors and textures.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, very soft (1 stick)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional or to taste
- 4 ounces brick-style cream cheese, softened (lite is okay)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoons almond extract (I used 2)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, very soft almost melting (half of 1 stick)
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons almond extract
- about 2 tablespoons cream or milk
- about 3/4 cup fresh strawberries, diced or sliced into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- Crust – In a large bowl, combine all crust ingredients and using two forks or a handheld electric mixer on low, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until evenly distributed and pea-sized lumps and sandy bits form. The softer the butter is, the quicker and easier it is.
- Turn mixture out into prepared pan and hard-pack it with a spatula to create an even, uniform, flat crust layer. Bake crust for about 15 minutes, or just until barely set (pan is going back in oven so don’t overbake or crust will be crumbly). While crusts bakes, prepare the filling.
- Filling – In a large bowl (same one is fine, just wipe out with a paper towel), add all filling ingredients, and whisk by hand or beat with an electric mixer on medium until smooth and combined. I prefer a stronger almond flavor and use 2 teaspoons extract, if you don’t, scale the amount back.
- After crust has baked for about 15 minutes, remove pan from the oven, and evenly pour filling mixture over the crust. Filling will likely slide into place, but lightly spread it into corners using a spatula if necessary.
- Return pan to oven and bake for about 16 to 19 minutes, or until filling is no longer jiggly in the center and edges have begun to set up; filling will set up more as it cools.
- Remove pan from oven, and place on a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Frosting – In a large microwave-safe bowl (same one is fine, just wipe out with a paper towel), add the butter and heat for about 30 seconds in the microwave or until it’s very soft and almost melting but not actually liquifying.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar, almond extract, and slowly drizzle in the cream while whisking by hand or beating with an electric mixer. As necessary, add additional cream (or sugar) to reach desired glaze consistency.
- Evenly frost the bars, smoothing frosting lightly with a spatula as necessary.
- Allow bars to cool in pan uncovered for at least 1 hour (or overnight and cover with a sheet of foil) before slicing and serving so frosting can set up.
- Before serving, evenly sprinkle with strawberries. Tip – The berries can run and bleed into the frosting so if you’re serving this for an important event, make sure not to add strawberries until just before serving. Bars will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 5 days (without strawberries added). I’m comfortable storing frosted items at room temp; store in the fridge if you’re not, noting bars could become overly dry in the fridge, or store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Adapted from Almond Cream Cheese Shortbread Bars
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Check out 40+ Strawberry Recipes HERE!
Almond Cream Cheese Shortbread Bars – Easy, buttery shortbread is topped with cream cheese..mmm! Plus irresistible almond frosting!
Strawberry Custard Bars – Easy no mixer bars with a shortbread crust, one pound of fresh berries, a layer of sweet custard, and creamy whipped topping! A perfect warm weather dessert that everyone loves!
Strawberry Lemonade Bars – Imagine crossing lemon bars with a strawberry pie. These easy bars taste like strawberry lemonade! Sooo good!
Strawberry Cheesecake Bars – Soft, buttery bars topped with cheesecake and swirled with strawberry jam! The best of all worlds in these fast, easy, and amazing bars!
Strawberry Sweet Rolls with Vanilla Cream Cheese Glaze – Soft, buttery rolls filled with strawberry jam and topped with a sweet and tangy cream cheese glaze!
Strawberry Cookie Bars with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting – Soft, chewy, and bursting with strawberry flavor!! The frosting and sprinkles make these easy, goof-proof bars taste even better! Perfect for parties and holidays!
Strawberries and Cream Poke Cake – A fast, easy, foolproof cake that looks tie-dyed from the strawberry streaks! Super moist yet light and perfect for spring and summer parties!