Strawberry Custard Bars
This post may contain affiliate links.
If you’re like me when summer rolls around, your eyes are often bigger than your stomach or your refrigerator storage when it comes to buying fresh fruit.
Seeing all those berries makes me think I may never see them again and I bought a few too many strawberries. Just a few pounds extra, no biggie.
These easy, one bowl, no mixer custard bars came to the rescue. I love dessert recipes that have a minimal amount of dishes and those that don’t require me to drag out my mixer.
The recipe starts with a shortbread crust, topped with one pound of diced strawberries, before a custard filling is poured over the the top. After baking, whipped topping is added.
The crust has subtle crunch and texture and it’s the perfect contrast for the creamy, soft custard filling with chunks of juicy strawberries in every bite.
I kept the bars in the fridge until I sliced them so I could get clean cuts, but after about 30 minutes at room temp, the custard softens to a pudding-like consistency and it’s heavenly.
Strawberries and whipped cream (or in my case Cool Whip), plus the custard, are everything fabulous about summer.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, diced into small pieces (reserve about 5 whole strawberries for garnishing)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- about 3/4 of one 8-ounce container whipped topping (I used fat-free; homemade whipped cream may be substituted)
- strawberry slices, for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil; set aside.
- Crust – To a large mixing bowl, add the flour, butter, sugar, salt, and using two forks or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Turn mixture out into prepared pan and hard-pack with a spatula to form an even, smooth, crust layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven and set on a wire rack to cool. While crust bakes, dice the strawberries.
- Filling – After crust has cooled for about 5 minutes, evenly top with strawberries; set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl (the same one used for the crust is fine, just wipe it out with a paper towel), add the eggs, sugar, cream, vanilla, and whisk vigorously for about 1 minute to combine.
- Add the flour and stir to combine; don’t overmix.
- Evenly pour filling mixture over the strawberries.
- Bake for about 40 to 45 minutes or until top is lightly golden brown and custard is set. Tip – In the last 10 to 15 minutes of baking, if the top is already looking fairly browned, tent the pan with a sheet of foil (loosely drape a sheet of foil over the pan) to prevent additional browning.
- Allow bars to cool uncovered on a wire rack for about 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours (or overnight), or until chilled.
- Evenly spread the whipped topping over the top and garnish with strawberry slices. Serve immediately. Bars will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days. Note – If using homemade whipped cream, it will be prone to deflating after the first day. For that reason, I prefer using whipped topping.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 416Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 146mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 2gSugar: 34gProtein: 5g
Strawberry Cookie Bars with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting – Soft, chewy, and bursting with strawberry flavor! The frosting and sprinkles make these easy, goof-proof bars taste even better! Perfect for parties and holidays!
Strawberry Lemonade Bars – Imagine crossing lemon bars with a strawberry pie. These easy bars taste like strawberry lemonade! Sooo good!
Strawberry Cheesecake Bars – Soft, buttery bars topped with cheesecake and swirled with strawberry jam! The best of all worlds in these fast, easy, and amazing bars!
Strawberry Sweet Rolls with Vanilla Cream Cheese Glaze – Soft, buttery rolls filled with strawberry jam and topped with a sweet and tangy cream cheese glaze!
Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting – Super soft and tender cookies that just melt in your mouth! Goofproof cookies everyone loves! Perfect for Valentine’s Day!, Mother’s Day, or Easter!
Strawberries and Cream Coffee Cake with Vanilla Cream Cheese – One of my favorite coffee cakes, ever! An incredible cake that’s easy and perfect for brunch!
Strawberry Jelly Rolls – You’d never guess these start out as white dinner rolls and within 15 minutes, are transformed into little jelly rolls!
Strawberry and Sprinkles Buttermilk Pancakes – Soft, fluffy, light, and loaded with strawberries and sprinkles!
The Best Strawberry Banana Bread – Super soft, moist bread with tons of juicy strawberries! Easy, no-mixer recipe, and THE BEST use for ripe bananas!
Check out 40+ Strawberry Recipes Here!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.