Sugar Cookie Apple Crumble Cheesecake Pie
This post may contain affiliate links.
Sugar Cookie Apple Crumble Cheesecake Pie – A buttery sugar cookie crust, tangy cream cheese filling, tender juicy apples, and a crumble topping make this pie a total SHOWSTOPPER!! EASY and THE BEST apple pie!!
I don’t usually make cheesecakes or pies because they’re too much work. I don’t care how good a dessert is, it should’t take me all day to make.
Because this pie uses some shortcuts, the workload is as minimal as possible for all of my fellow non-pie (and cheesecake) makers.
The pie reminds me of a beloved happy accident called Caramel Apple Crumble Pie, circa 2012, which has become a reader favorite over the years.
The sugar cookie crust in this pie is perfectly buttery and has enough saltiness to balance the sweetness from the other ingredients. The tart cream cheese is a wonderful contrast to the sweet, tender, juicy, apples.
Not just because I’m a huge crumble topping aficionado, but the crumbly top with jumbo crumbles adds so much fabulousness to this already decadent cheesecake pie that’s overflowing with flavors and textures galore.
The crust and crumble topping start off as one in the same. They begin with a pouch of sugar cookie mix with butter and cinnamon added. We’re off to a great start. If you don’t have sugar cookie mix in your area, check Amazon or you can always make your own scratch pie crust and scratch crumble topping.
The crust is topped with tangy cream cheese and apple fillings. I used store bought apple pie filling that I spiked with extra spices to ensure there’s plenty of robust fall flavor. If you have a favorite scratch apple pie filling, go for it.
Reserved crumble topping from the crust-making process is added before baking it all off. Your house will smell so divine as this baby bakes. I could hardly stand it.
This cheesecake-meets-pie kind of pie is going to be a huge hit at any fall or winter holiday party or event. I promise. You’ll be hailed as Baker of the Year. It’s tied with this apple pie as my favorite apple pie of all time. Even though I was tempted to add caramel sauce, ice cream, or whipped topping for the photo shoot, this pie truly doesn’t need it. There is already enough going on and it’s rich and decadent enough as is.
Make sure your pie dish is extremely well-greased. I used cooking spray that I literally spayed on until it was dripping. If you want to use shortening, go for it.
Don’t be afraid if getting the first piece out is a beast of a job. It tends to be with pie, but this one is especially bad, and the crust stuck to the pie dish. I was worried about the whole pie sticking. But after I semi-mutilated the first piece and had some leverage and room to work, getting my pie spatula underneath the crust for the remaining pieces was a breeze.
Place the pie dish on a baking sheet as insurance against oven overflow because my pie was very full going into the oven. Since all baking dishes vary slightly in depth, I would reach for the deepest one you own. Thankfully the pie doesn’t rise much and there was no overflow to worry about, but better safe than cleaning the bottom of your oven.
Because all ovens, climates, ingredients, etc. vary, start checking the pie at 40 minutes and bake as long as necessary. I can envision this pie taking 60+ minutes in some ovens and climates or as little as 45 minutes in others. Baking times are always just an estimate. Simple take it out of the oven at the proper time so it’s not raw or burnt.
You must chill it for hours before you slice into it or it’ll fall apart. No way around that but it’s so worth it. On the bright side, it’s a great make-ahead dessert. I’d feel comfortable making this 2-3 days before an event and leaving it in the fridge until you serve it.
Crust and Crumble Topping
- one 17.5-ounce pouch sugar cookie mix
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- about 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, or as necessary
Cream Cheese Filling
- one 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened (I used lite)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups apple pie filling, with more fruit
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- whipped topping or ice cream, optional for serving
- Read the Baking Tips in the blog post before beginning.
- Crust and Crumble Topping - Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 9-inch pie plate very well with cooking spray; set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the sugar cookie mix, cinnamon, 1/2 cup softened butter, and mix with a pastry cutter or two forks until large crumbly bits form.
- Turn just over half (about 60%) of the mixture out into prepared pie plate and press it over the base and up the sides to create an even, smooth crust. Bake for about 11 to 12 minutes, or until just set. When done, remove from oven and set aside.
- While the crust bakes, to the remaining sugar cookie mixture, add 3 tablespoons of melted butter, 1 to 2 tablespoons flour, and toss with a fork to combine until larger crumbly bits form. Depending on how wet your mixture is, add additional flour until the crumbs dry out somewhat. They don't need to be overly dry, but you don't want them to wet so add flour as necessary (I added 3 tablespoons total). Reserve and set aside the crumble (to be used in step 10).
- Cream Cheese Filling - To a separate large bowl, add the cream cheese, sugar, flour, and beat with a handheld electric mixer on medium-high speed until smooth and fluffy, about 45 seconds.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and beat until smooth.
- Turn the cream cheese mixture out into the baked pie crust and smooth the top lightly with a spatula; set aside.
- Apple Filling - To a large bowl (the same one you used for the cream cheese is fine), add all the ingredients, stir gently to combine, and slowly and evenly turn out over the cream cheese layer, and smooth the top lightly with a spatula.
- Evenly sprinkle the reserved crumble topping (from step 5), place pie plate on a baking sheet (for insurance against overflow in your oven because the pie is very full; although it doesn't rise much during baking) and bake for about 55 minutes, or until top of the pie is lightly golden brown and crumble is set. Because all ovens, climates, ingredients, etc. vary, start checking pie at 40 minutes and bake as long as necessary; I can envision this pie taking 60+ minutes in some ovens and climates.
- Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour and refrigerate at least 3 to 4 additional hours (overnight is best) or until chilled before optionally serving with whipped topping or ice cream. If you don't chill it properly, the pie will likely break upon slicing. Extra pie will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Adapted from Betty Crocker
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 737Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 455mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 3gSugar: 38gProtein: 8g
Caramel Apple Crumble Pie – Apple Pie meets Apple Crumble meets plenty of gooey caramel! Easy, fast, 5-minutes to assemble. Goofproof recipe for those of us who aren’t pie-makers!
Apple Cinnamon Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting – An easy, one-bowl, no-mixer apple cake that’s to-die-for! Loaded with juicy apples in every bite, perfectly spiced, and topped with tangy cream cheese frosting!
Spiced Apple and Banana Bundt Cake with Vanilla Caramel Glaze – Apple cake meets banana bread with a to-die-for glaze! Best.ever.
Apple Fritter Bread – Soft, fluffy bread that’s stuffed AND topped with apples, cinnamon, and sugar! Like apple fritters in bread form!
Carrot Apple Bread – Carrot cake with apples added and baked as a bread so it’s healthier! Super moist, packed with flavor, fast and easy!
Cinnamon Spice Applesauce Bread with Honey Butter – Applesauce keeps this bread so soft & moist! It’s like apple spice cake, disguised as ‘bread’ so you can have extra!
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Crumble Bars – Move over apple pie! These are an apple pie, apple crumble and cheesecake all in one! YUM!
5-Minute Microwave Apple Cinnamon Crumble For One (vegan, gluten-free) – 5-minute easy recipe that’s perfect for breakfast or snacks!
Caramel Apple Cinnamon Roll Bake – The soft and gooey factor of a Cinnabon with apples and so much caramel sauce! Easy, ready in 30 minutes, and uses storebought cinnamon roll dough to save time! One of the BEST desserts ever!
Caramel Apple Crumble Foil Packs – Easy, zero cleanup, made on the grill (or oven) in record time, and delish! Juicy apples, chewy crumble topping, and luscious salted caramel!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.