Taco-Stuffed Avocados — Like avocados? Then you are going to LOVE these taco STUFFED avocados with ground beef, CHEESE, and more!! EASY, ready in 15 minutes, a family favorite, and perfect for busy weeknights!!
Post is brought to you by Horizon Organic.
Healthy Stuffed Avocado Recipe
I was recently in Mexico and was eating at one of my favorite taco restaurants. It’s a no-frills restaurant with long lines where people are literally sitting on top of each, but the food is so amazing that it’s all worth it.
I was so close to the guy at the next table over from me and was looking at his order having order envy. You know that feeling when your own food is good but someone else’s looks better? We’ve all been there.
He had an al pastor-stuffed avocado that I was dying over. I had pastor tacos, but seeing that al pastor on top of an avocado with a layer of fried cheese in between the two, oh boy.
I knew instantly that the first recipe I made when I was back home was going to be stuffed avocados.
Since cooking pastor is an all day (or two day) affair, I came up with taco-stuffed avocados that are super easy, ready in 15 minutes, loaded with different textures and flavors, and are family-friendly.
On the day I made these, my daughter came home from school and said, “Something smells good!” And then she proceeded to tear into these and downed two halves in about 2 minutes. A hit for sure and perfect for lunches, after-school snacks, or easy weeknight dinners.
What’s in Taco-Stuffed Avocados?
To make this healthy avocado recipe, you’ll need:
- Hass avocados
- Lean ground beef
- Taco seasoning
- Horizon Organic Mexican-Style Shredded Cheese
- Roma tomatoes
- Fresh cilantro
How to Make Stuffed Avocados
Start by halving your avocados, and then using a spoon, widen and deepen the hole where the pit is so you can accommodate more taco filling.
Save that extra flesh you just hollowed out to garnish and top your assembled avocados.
Then, brown some ground beef, season it with taco seasoning, and stir in Horizon Organic Mexican-Style Shredded Cheese. Make any dish better with a sprinkle of this organic cheesy goodness.
From quesadillas to burritos, this is a perfect easy-melting cheese that you will love in your favorite Mexican recipes, over salads or any kind, or add it to a bowl of soup like this tortilla soup. There are no shortage of ways to use cheese in my world.
Although my avocados were already piled high from the taco filling, tomatoes, more cheese, and cilantro, you can always add black beans, green or red onions, salsa, corn, or your favorites to make them extra stuffed avocados.
Here’s a video showing you how I made the stuffed avocados.
Can I Use Ground Turkey?
Yes, but keep in mind that ground turkey has a lot less fat than ground beef so you may need to add a little oil to the skillet to prevent the turkey from drying out.
Can I Prep Stuffed Avocados in Advance?
You can prep the taco filling ahead of time and reheat it when you’re ready to enjoy it. But I don’t recommend cutting the avocados too far in advance, otherwise they’ll brown.
Tips for Making Taco-Stuffed Avocados
Make sure you’re using ripe avocados in this stuffed avocado recipe. If the avocados are still hard, the dish won’t have the right flavor or texture.
I prefer using reduced sodium taco seasoning to prevent these stuffed avocados from being too salty, but use whatever taco seasoning your family likes.
Note that you can also remove the center of the avocado with a small paring knife. Score the area vertically and horizontally, and then use a spoon to carefully remove the small chunks. This is the visually neater method, but either way works.
- about 5 to 6 Hass avocados, halved with pit removed and slightly hollowed out with removed flesh reserved
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- one 1.25-ounce packet taco seasoning (I used reduced sodium medium heat)
- one 6-ounce package Horizon Organic Mexican Style Shredded Cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 or 2 Roma tomatoes or your favorite tomato, diced small
- cilantro, for garnishing
- Halve the avocados, remove the pit, and using a spoon, widen and deepen the hole where the pit is so you can accommodate more taco filling. Alternatively, use a small paring knife to score the area vertically and horizontally, and then use spoon to carefully remove the small chunks. This is the visually neater method but either way works; set the avocado halves and the flesh that you removed aside.
- To a large skillet, add the beef and cook over medium high heat for about 5 minutes, or until beef is cooked through and no longer pink; stir intermittently and crumble beef as it cooks.
- Evenly sprinkle the taco seasoning over the beef, add the water, stir to combine, and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add most of the package of shredded cheese, reserving about 1/2 cup to use for garnishing. Stir to combine and encourage the cheese to melt, it will only take about 1 minute.
- Add about 1/4 cup beef to each avocado half, or as desired.
- Top with tomatoes, reserved avocado flesh, evenly sprinkle with reserved cheese, garnish with cilantro, and serve immediately. Recipe is best fresh.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 557Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 1030mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 11gSugar: 3gProtein: 32g
More Easy Mexican Recipes:
One Skillet Beef Taco Pasta – An easy recipe that’s ready in 20 minutes, made in one skillet, and loaded with Mexican-inspired flavors! A family favorite that’s great for busy weeknights!
Easy 30-Minute Taco Macaroni and Cheese – Super creamy, ultra cheesy, flavored with taco seasoning, black beans, green onions, tomatoes, and cilantro! Easy comfort food with a Mexican flair that’s a family favorite!
Cheesy Beef Taco Pie – Your favorite taco ingredients baked into a savory, cheesy pie! Ground beef, tomatoes, tortilla chips, and more! Great for parties, tailgating, or easy family dinners and everyone loves it!
Loaded Beef Taco Salad with Creamy Lime Cilantro Dressing — Loaded with your favorite taco fixings, minus the shells, to keep things healthier without sacrificing any flavor! The dressing is easy, creamy and irresistible!
Easy Six-Layer Baked Taco Cups – Fast, easy, and accidentally healthy! Your favorite taco fixings in individually-portioned cups! So fun!
Easy Loaded Chicken Tostadas — Ready in 20 minutes and loaded to the max! Chicken, refried beans, peppers, salsa, cheese, and more! Great party appetizer or easy weeknight dinner!
Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowls — Juicy chicken along with your favorite burrito ingredients served in a bowl! Pile the toppings sky high and not worry about a wrap breaking, plus it’s a little healthier! Easy and ready in 15 minutes!
Easy 30-Minute Beef Taco Chili — Don’t have all day for chili to simmer? No problem!! This EASY, hearty chili full of Mexican-inspired flavors is ready in 30 minutes! If you like TACOS, you’ll LOVE this chili!!
Easy 30-Minute Chicken Fajitas — These easy chicken fajitas take just 30 minutes to make and are the perfect weeknight dinner. Friends and family will go crazy for this recipe!
Post is brought to you by Horizon Organic. The recipes, images, video, text, and opinions expressed are my own.