Tequila Sunrise — Not only is it pretty to look at, but a Tequila Sunrise is also refreshing, nostalgic, and the grenadine sweetens it up enough that you may not even notice it packs quite a punch!
Classic Tequila Sunrise Recipe
I can’t believe summer is two-thirds over. This drink makes me feel like I can hold onto it a bit longer, though! I love tequila and usually drink it in the form of a margarita. But I felt like switching things up with this Tequila Sunrise drink.
This is a classic Tequila Sunrise cocktail. Classics like this never go out of style. It’s similar to the tequila sunrises we all drank on spring break in Cancun in college and were likely still drinking at sunrise. Okay, maybe I speak for myself.
But really, though, there’s something about sunrise or sunset drinks with the color gradient that’s so eye-catching — and they always make me thirsty!
What’s In A Tequila Sunrise?
The list of tequila sunrise ingredients is short and simple. All you’ll need is tequila, orange juice, grenadine, and maraschino cherries, and you’re all set. Just don’t forget the umbrellas, because everything tastes better topped with an umbrella.
Any brand of tequila will work in this easy cocktail recipe, but I prefer Patron Silver. An orange slice on the rim is also a nice garnish, but it’s completely optional.
How to Make a Tequila Sunrise
Of all the tequila mixed drinks, a tequila sunrise is arguably the easiest to make. Simply add orange juice, tequila, and ice cubes to a glass, then pour in the grenadine.
The grenadine will sink to the bottom of the glass, but that’s what you want! The trick to making the best tequila sunrise is to not stir the drink once all the cocktail ingredients have been added to the glass.
Garnish your drink as desired and serve immediately.
Make it a Pitcher Cocktail
A Tequila Sunrise is the perfect drink for unwinding in front of your favorite TV program — or make a few for a casual evening in your backyard with a couple friends.
But for that long holiday weekend fiesta you’re throwing, you can triple or quadruple the tequila drink recipe to have it ready to go in a pitcher. Preparing by the pitcher is so much easier than making drinks one-by-one when you’re making drinks for a crowd. People can serve themselves from the pitcher and you can relax. Pure bliss!
My one piece of advice for turning this tequila sunrise into a pitcher cocktail is to leave the ice out of the pitcher, otherwise your cocktails will get watery. Instead, store the pitcher in a cooler and have ice on the side so the drinks still stay cold.
Tips for the Best Tequila Sunrise
Because this tequila cocktail is so straightforward, you want to use the best possible ingredients. I’m not saying you have to squeeze the orange juice yourself (although that would taste wonderful!), but see if you can get your hands on juice that’s not from concentrate.
In that same vein, buy a quality tequila as well. Remember: this drink has just three ingredients, so you want them all to taste good!
Here’s a video showing how you make this easy cocktail.
More Easy Cocktails:
- The Best Homemade Margaritas: All-Natural, 3-Ingredients – No sugar so you can sip worry-free! They go down way too easily!
- Rum Runner – My favorite recipe for rum runners from a Caribbean bartender! So tasty!
- Malibu Sunset – Fun, fruity, easy, tropical, and they go down so easily!
- Tropical Strawberry Lemonade Party Punch – Sweet and citrusy with a tropical vibe! So fast and easy! Punch and sangria all in one with loads of fruit! (can be made virgin)
- Peach Mango Pineapple White Sangria – A lighter, fresher alternative to red sangria! Try it for your next party!
- Ice cubes, to taste
- 4 ounces orange juice
- 2 ounces tequila*
- 1/2 to 1 ounce grenadine, or to taste
- Maraschino cherries, for garnishing
- Orange slices, for garnishing
- Umbrellas, for garnishing (optional)
- To a large glass, add the ice cubes, orange juice, and tequila.
- Add the grenadine which will sink to the bottom. Do not stir.
- Garnish and serve immediately. Recipe is intended for those for whom alcohol use is legal and appropriate. Always drink responsibly.
* I prefer silver tequila and use Patron Silver
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 436 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 8mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 20g Protein: 1g
Even More Cocktails to Try:
Lightened-Up Raspberry Coconut Punch – Sweet, tangy, refreshing and isn’t a caloric lead balloon! But don’t worry, it still packs a punch!
Watermelon Raspberry Slushies – Summertime in a glass! Cool, refreshing, and you’ll want a refill before you know it!
5-Calorie Raspberry Lime Margarita Fizz (non-alcoholic) – Cool, refreshing, and won’t break your caloric bank with only 5 calories!
Mango Coconut Water Tropical Martini – At just 100 calories a drink, you can sip worry-free!
Watermelon Lemon Drop Slushies – Wondering what to do with all the watermelon you have? Make these slushies!
Tropical Peach Pineapple Slushies – Plenty of booze and no added sugar, a win-win!