Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links.
Tomato and basil just go together and with mozzarella? Even better.
It’s a healthier twist on chicken parmesan because the chicken isn’t breaded. You definitely won’t miss the breadcrumbs in this easy dish that’s ready in 20 minutes and packed with flavor.
It’s also like a caprese salad bumped into chicken and pasta and they lived happily ever after.
The tomatoes help keep the chicken moist and juicy, the basil packs a flavorful punch, and the cheese is gooey and wonderful.
You don’t really ‘need’ the pasta. A healthy salad or some garlic bread alongside would be great but since I have a jillion boxes of half-used pasta cluttering my pantry, I boiled some rotini for my pasta-loving daughter. Spaghetti, angel hair, ziti, or your favorite pasta would work just as well.
Soon there will be an abundance of tomatoes and basil growing in gardens and at the markets and this recipe is a perfect way to use them. Substitute about 2 cups of fresh chopped tomatoes in place of the canned I used and you’re good to go.
- 8 ounces pasta (I used rotini; spaghetti, angel hair, ziti, etc. may be substitued)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- about 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper, for seasoning chicken
- one 14.5-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional and to taste
- about 4 ounces mozzarella cheese (shredded or thinly sliced from a block; fresh mozzarella may also be used)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves (loosely packed when measuring), torn or chopped into small pieces
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside. While pasta is cooking, start the chicken.
- To a large skillet, add the oil, chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook over medium-high heat for about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Cooking time will vary based on the thickness of the chicken. Chicken should be about 80 to 90% cooked through.
- Add the tomatoes and juice to the skillet. Try to pour the tomatoes next to the chicken and in between pieces, rather than directly on top.
- Evenly sprinkle the oregano, pepper, optional salt (some brands of canned tomatoes are already salty enough, some aren’t; add salt to taste) and allow mixture to boil for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until some of the liquid from the tomatoes has evaporated.
- Turn the heat to low, evenly add the mozzarella to the top of each chicken breast, and cover the skillet until the cheese has melted, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Evenly sprinkle the basil, stir gently to incorporate it into the tomatoes, and wait about 1 minute or until basil has wilted slightly.
- Plate the chicken and tomatoes on top of the pasta. Dish is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 534Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 163mgSodium: 858mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 60g
My Favorite Easy Chicken Recipes are ALL HERE
Chicken Orzo Salad – Juicy chicken tossed with orzo, tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, and a super flavorful lemon vinaigrette! Easy, healthy, ready in 30 minutes, and a perfect way to use your garden fresh veggies!
Tomato, Mozzarella & Basil Quinoa Salad (GF) – Trying to keep meals healthier and lighter? Make this easy, refreshing, and satisfying salad!
Easy Chicken Manicotti – Pasta shells stuffed with chicken, coated in red sauce, and smothered with loads of melted cheese! Pure comfort food that’s packed with flavor that the whole family will love!
Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowls – Juicy chicken along with your favorite burrito ingredients served in a bowl! Pile the toppings sky high and not worry about a wrap breaking, plus it’s a little healthier! Easy and ready in 15 minutes!
Italian Chicken Pasta Salad – Easy, ready in 20 minutes, and healthy! Bursting with fresh flavors from juicy tomatoes, cucumber, basil, parmesan, and tender chicken tossed in a tangy lemon vinaigrette!
Smoky Chicken, Peppers, and Spinach Pasta Salad – Juicy chicken, crisp bell peppers and pasta with smoked paprika! Fast, easy, healthy and a hit with everyone! Great for picnics, potlucks, or easy weeknight dinners!
Avocado, Tomato, and Mozzarella Crostini – An easy appetizer that’s packed with texture and flavor!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.