Healthifying Desserts & Beans in Desserts

After I posted the Vanilla Banana Avocado Ice Cream recipe

…I got to thinking about “healthifying” desserts.  You know, calling something “ice cream” when really it’s blended bananas and avocado.

Did I just healthify something by making “ice cream” out of bananas and avocado?

If so, I take no great pleasure in that.

Why not?

Most people love it when they find out a dessert is healthy.  I do to, but I don’t care if it isn’t healthy, either.

I believe that desserts are desserts; they don’t need to be healthy: they’re dessert.  Which is inherently not really “healthy” and that’s okay with me.

I posted recently that I believe one can eat desserts (daily) and still live a “healthy” lifestyle and be healthy and balanced.

I know that’s it’s common among many food bloggers to put bananas into a food processor and call that “ice cream”.  I’ve done it.  Gena’s to blame. In the best possible way, of course. She called frozen bananas banana softserve way back when.

And I’ve done a whole series of softserve variations (all in my dessert recipes)

Vegan Peanut Butter Softserve anyone?

It’s sure thick like ice cream

And it does taste wonderful! Not sure it’s “ice cream” but it’s a frozen treat.  I like treats.

And then there’s the other trend of beans in desserts.

Some people put garbanzo beans into chickpeas and call them “blondies”.

I like my White Chocolate Blondies with Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting a whole lot.

Full fat, fully decadent, fully amazing.  No beans in sight.

Katie has a recipe for Chocolate Chip Blondies They look awesome, but I’m scared they’ll taste bean-ey!

Some bloggers put black beans into brownies and call them “black bean brownies”.

I like my Fudgy Nutella Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting

No beans.  Just pure, unadulterated dense, sweet, fudgey-ness.  The best and richest brownies I’ve ever eaten.

Lately I’ve seen hummus or chickpeas in cookie dough all over the place.

Christin has a recipe for Baked Dessert Hummus Balls in case you’re curious.

And Spabettie made Christin’s recipe

And Evan has Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Dessert Hummus

All that sounds great…

But…

…I’ll stick with my Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

Still “healthy” and vegan and gluten free, but no beans.

Why haven’t I tried these “healthy” or “healthified” desserts?

Frankly I am scared!

I’m scared to waste good cocoa powder, sugar, agave, or other ingredients if the recipe doesn’t live up to my expectations.  And they’re high.

Not to mention, time and energy are precious commodities and I haven’t those to waste, either.

I hate throwing away food from recipes that I am not pleased with and I hate wasting cooking time, energy, and money on ingredients only to wind up with a meh result.

So, I’m on the fence about the adding beans to desserts.  Like I mentioned, I believe one can eat desserts and be healthy and balanced.

But everyone’s recipes who I linked look so good! So when I get back to San Diego, maybe some beans in desserts will happen.  You never know.

I also believe that healthy desserts can and do taste amazing and can be totally decadent!  My raw vegan chocolate mousse comes to mind.   Healthy doesn’t have to “taste healthy”.

I have the utmost respect for everyone’s recipes, creations, and food choices; whether they’re “healthy” or not, bean-ey or not, and where he or she falls on the spectrum of what he or she chooses to eat.  We all have our own path and preferences in life and food and I have respect for everyone’s ability to choose what’s best for her.

From my last post, it was interesting hearing what wild animals are in your area.  But it was a whole lot more fun reading about if you consider yourself a wild child or not.

Questions

1. What are your thoughts on beans in desserts?  Have you tried any bean-ey desserts?

As I said, I’m scared to waste time, money, and energy because I don’t want to “taste the beans”.

Twist my arm.  Tell me you’ve made something with beans in it that’s dessert-ey and you love it!

2. What are your thoughts on “healthifying” desserts?  Do you try?  Do you care?

No, I don’t try or care.

I actually almost go over the top the other direction to make things as sinfully rich and decadent as possible.

Desserts are treats, extras, and should be treated as such.  It’s just not worth my chew to have something less than 100% decadent.  I’d rather not have it at all and don’t care if it’s not considered healthy.  Life is short, enjoy dessert is my motto.

Anyone want a piece of fudge?

It’s vegan & GF, though!

3. Yay or nay:  “Beans, beans, the magical fruit, the more you eat, the more you toot?”

Yay!

With that happy thought, I hope to enjoy the beach for one more day!

I’m savoring the last bits of Aruba before we head home.

113 Responses to “Healthifying Desserts & Beans in Desserts”

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini — June 1, 2011 at 2:12 am

“The more you toot the better you feel so let’s eat beans with every meal!!!!”

And honestly, I couldn’t care less about healthifying desserts. I believe that you can eat dessert or cake in moderation and still live a healthy lifestyle. Life it too short to worry about cake!!!

Sue @ Sue In Training — June 1, 2011 at 2:29 am

Well, there may be people that can eat decadent desserts daily and be healthy and happy, but I’m not one of them. Maybe I just need to run some more? ;)
    1. Surprisingly I love red/azuki beans in sweets, like ice cream, cakes, other baked goods. It’s quite common in Asia, think of Chinese mooncakes, Japanese mochi and anpan, and many more! You can find canned sweet red bean paste in most Asian grocery stores.
    2. I often “healthify” my desserts, by adding fruit, reducing fat and sugar. I do that to soothe my conscience, and to please my taste buds. I just can’t handle too much sugar. Plus, I do firmly believe that desserts can be both healthy AND delicious.
    3. Oh yes! But I eat them anyway. ;)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — June 1, 2011 at 2:55 am

Love this post! You know I love dessert. I must admit I’m not one for healthifying it. I do like things like banana soft serve or pb frozen as “fudge” or other such things as a more special, treaty feeling snack – but it would never take place of dessert. When I have something for dessert I want something that will really satisfy me and its never anything doctored up. I’ve done beans in desserts before and hated them.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 7:01 am

“pb frozen as “fudge””—ok ive never even tried that. I assumed it would just turn into a rock. Guess not! Need to experiment with that one not b/c it’s “healthy” but b/c i love frozen things like grapes. And I bet pb!

coco — June 1, 2011 at 2:56 am

I never tried using beans for desserts but I like the idea, I really want to try to make the brownie made with black beans.
    healthifying desserts? mmmm….. if I make at home I might, but I rarely make desserts at home. And if I’m eating out, I don’t really care, the taste is the #1 priority for me because a good dessert made with real ingredients satisfy me more! ;)
    All your desserts creations look amazing!!!

Cati — June 1, 2011 at 2:59 am

I, too, was quite skeptical of beans in desserts, but I used a recipe for black bean brownies that called for instant coffee (I think this had a part in masking the bean flavor, plus, who doesn’t love coffee?) and they were one of the most decadent batches of brownies I have ever eaten…and I’ve eaten lots of brownies! I will say though, do not taste the batter until all ingredients are in! ie, blended beans and unsweetened chocolate, before the sugar and other stuff go in, are not my idea of delicious batter. The final product? fudge-a-licious.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 7:02 am

thanks for the honest feedback…most decadent, youve eaten lots,and not to taste the batter til all is in!

Jess@HealthyExposures — June 1, 2011 at 3:05 am

Okay, I have been seeing all these beans in desserts and have been hesitant to try, too! I mean, I can’t imagine they’re terrible since they’re all the rage – but I just can’t bring myself to do it! As for healthifying…while I used to intentionally try to “healthify” things, you might remember how I feel about that word now and don’t really think of it like that anymore :P That and back then I’d completely leave out oil, make everything 100% whole wheat, use Splenda, etc.
    Now, if I’m making something for myself and my family, I always cut back on sugar due to taste and my mom’s bf being diabetic. If I’m making something for myself that I want to be a sweet treat after a meal but also a sweet “anytime” treat (with breakfast, late night snack, etc) I’ll usually cut back quite a bit on sugar and maybe sub some oil, too. I just hate things that are too sweet :(
    As for whether I’ll try the beans and “the more you toot” sentiment…well…I eat enough beans and fiber in my meals, not sure if my family would keep me around if they were in dessert, too ;)

Heather — June 1, 2011 at 3:15 am

I like lighter desserts and things that aren’t that heavy, especially now that we are going into the summer months. I do like red adzuki beans in my Asian desserts as well, and I think that banana avocado ice cream looks amazing!!!

Jenny$1983 — June 1, 2011 at 3:15 am

I made CCK’s chickpea blondies as soon as I’d finished reading the post, and they tasted amazing: I gave some to my dad, who has no dietary restrictions and lives off red meat, refined sugars and dairy up the wazoo, and he had no idea there was either peanut butter or chickpeas in there, he just thought they were “lovely, and very chocolate-y.” I’ve also just made CCK’s ‘World’s Healthiest Chocolate Chip Cookies’, and I made them because it’s a nice simple, easy recipe and I thought they looked truly delicious – and they are! They remind me of Maryland Chocolate Chip Cookies, only much nicer :)

I don’t know about healthifying, I just make stuff I think I’ll like … for example, I’m about to make your toffee and choc chip cookie dough balls: is it inappropriate that I’m excited about stuffing some balls in my mouth? :D Sorry, seriously though, I guess I am more attracted to so-called “healthy” recipes because I’m trying to shift the last few pounds of flab around my hips, bum and thighs (the most stubborn ones, naturally :-/), but when it comes to it, as I said, I’ll choose what I’ll enjoy, which is one of the reasons I love your blog so much :)

• Jenny$1983 replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 3:18 am

Sorry for the multiple comments, but I forgot to mention that I bloody LOVED your smoothie version of this so I can’t wait to try the “ice cream” version too – thanks!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 7:04 am

thanks jenny for the compliments on my smoothie and excitement over the toffee balls!

and for lmk how much you loved katie’s bean-ey desserts…awesome feedback and reviews!

Anna — June 1, 2011 at 3:28 am

I’m so with you on this! I tried a chickpea (garbanzo) blondie recipe a while ago and it didn’t turn out great, so (thinking I was at fault) I made it again but with white beans as the recipe suggested – um, yep, bean-y. I mean, it was edible (that is… I totally ate it), and it was sort of good? Sort of? But… I’d totally take a “real” blondie over it any day. Dessert should be dessert!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 7:05 am

thanks for the VERY honest review. I have heard from a few ppl like you who have told me similar stories. Which is why Ive hesitated so long on it all….

• Anna replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 7:09 am

Yeah, I generally tend to be open minded when it comes to putting weird things in my food (!) but it wasn’t for me. I feel like such a bitch when it comes to reviewing a recipe critically, but I suppose honest feedback is the most helpful for others…

Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) — June 1, 2011 at 3:30 am

I haven’t tried it (yet). I’m kinda scared. It’s like you say, it takes precious time and ingredients and if it’s not good.. but on the other hand, you can have that with the ‘normal’ ingredients too. Maybe we have to be a little wild child to make this work ;)
    I like to live healthy but desserts are desserts. They don’t have to be loaded with sugar or fat to be good, but it has to taste good and be dessertlike sweet. As you said, just because you eat a sweet fatty dessert, doesn’t mean you don’t live healthy. (You can think of it as a reward for living healthy ;))

Katie — June 1, 2011 at 3:30 am

Soak up that sun on your last day girl!!!!

I have never made a dessert with beans in them! I want to try the chickpea blondies I see all over the blog world, maybe one day!

love u!

Babs — June 1, 2011 at 3:33 am

My husband loooooooooved Katie’s recipe for chickpea blondies. I mean love, love, love :) If they meet a man’s approval, they’re probably pretty good ;) I say give them a go!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 7:06 am

very true “If they meet a man’s approval, they’re probably pretty good”

then again, sometimes i call my hubs the human garbage disposal and he’ll eat anything. lol

• Amber K replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 8:57 am

That’s totally my husband too. He’ll eat anything!

cathy — June 1, 2011 at 3:46 am

yes – make every second count today, averie – beach time as long as possible!!!
    i’ve tried healthifying desserts over the years, but i agree: i dislike wasting my time and good ingredients on so-so results (one i remember is brownies with pureed prunes in them). i’ve concluded dessert is dessert, and if you make a dessert with 100% “real” ingredients, i am cool with that.
    here was our family version: “beans, beans are good for your heart; the more you eat, the more you fart; the more you fart, the better you feel, so eat your beans at every meal.” :)
    have a great day!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 7:06 am

yeah i know that version of the beans song. that was like verse 1. my part is jumping ahead to like verse 3. lol

Emily — June 1, 2011 at 3:58 am

I not a huge fan of black bean brownies but I love Katie’s garbanzo bean blondies! And the dough!

chocolate-covered katie — June 1, 2011 at 3:59 am

I agree with you on one point: that life is short, and we should never put anything less than 100% decadent in our mouths. But healthy desserts CAN be 100% decadent. My raw chocolate-fudge cake or my deep-dish cookie pie are delicious desserts not just for healthy desserts, but for desserts, PERIOD. In fact, that’s my blog’s whole idea– healthy SHOULD taste naughty. If it tastes like a healthy dessert, I feel like my recipe is a failure. I like to have my chocolate cake and eat it too!

• chocolate-covered katie replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 4:00 am

P.S. Thanks to all the commenters who said they tried my blondies… that made me smile so much!! And thank YOU, Averie, for mentioning them :).

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 7:09 am

“If it tastes like a healthy dessert, I feel like my recipe is a failure”–

That is such a profound statement…and I 100% trust that your bean-ey desserts ARE decadent! It’s just MY little hangup, MY own fear. The things you make, and everyone else I linked, look AMAZING! Everyone has their little hangups, I just blogged about mine :)

And yes, a zillion ppl have said how great your things are…I have to make them when I get home :)

Lauren — June 1, 2011 at 3:59 am

Okay, I’ve had enough. I NEED to make the vegan chocolate chip cookie dough! :)

Salad in a Jar — June 1, 2011 at 4:11 am

I’m with you–somewhat. I definitely eat a little dessert everyday. Bad habit, maybe but it’s all part of my moderation policy. I don’t add black beans to brownies or any of those other weird things. Kinda scared it will mess things up and I hate to waste it, like you.

However, I don’t go for REALLY rich, over-the-top desserts either. Makes me feel kinda sick when I eat too much. Guess I’m back to moderation. Give me real banana pudding with real vanilla wafers (maybe even homemade shortbread cookies) but I like the pudding part made with skim or 1% just as much as whole milk. As long as it’s from scratch, it’s all better than a commercial mix.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 7:10 am

dessert every day is not a bad habit in my book :)

“real banana pudding with real vanilla wafers”—that sounds like my childhood and my grandma’s cooking…yum!

Cecilia — June 1, 2011 at 4:22 am

Hrmm, I enjoy both healthy and not so healthy desserts – depending on my mood really. Regarding CCK snickerdoodle bean-blondie, I made it using stevia and the raw dough taste so “oh my freaking god” good, but I don’t like the baked version much, it tasted “bean-y” when baked, whilst the middle bit is moist and dense, it doesn’t taste the same as the fudgy and buttery centre of a ‘real’ blondie, if you get what I mean. :)

Oh a side story, tried a certain fat free black bean brownie a while back, I chucked the whole batch away, it tasted like a bean slab, it makes me wonder if that person has ever tried a real brownie before. haha!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — June 1, 2011 at 4:25 am

I’ve done black bean bronwnies before, and I can’t lie – they weren’t that good. I think chickpeas in baked goods would be great. I know there’s blondies recipes floating out there right now with chickkpeas in them!

Ka Ning — June 1, 2011 at 4:34 am

I totally agree with you on this post…sometimes I get so annoyed with my friends who freak out over eating a bite of brownie I just wanted to eat a whole cake in front of them just to spite them.

On the other hand, one of my favorite ice cream is actually red bean ice cream! I had this a lot when I was growing up in Hong Kong. You don’t taste the beans because red beans are tiny and mild in flavor. You might be able to find them in Asian (particularly Japanese) food stores. http://japaneseicecream.blogspot.com/2008/08/simple-japanese-red-bean-ice-cream.html

Let me know if you decide to try it!!

Deborah — June 1, 2011 at 5:13 am

Yeah, some of those bean brownies do look darn good in the photos!
    But I have never gotten around to trying to make them.

If I want chocolate, I want chocolate!

Michelle {Minding our Peas and Carrots} — June 1, 2011 at 5:14 am

I’m with ya on the beans debate. No beans near my dessert! I’m going to have to be truly convinced (even bribed) to try a beany dessert!!

Krystina (Organically Me) — June 1, 2011 at 5:18 am

I think beans in desserts are stupid. Yes, stupid. People are trying to add fiber and protein to a brownie. Just eat a stinkin’ brownie and save the beans for another meal. A real brownie won’t do any harm.

kristina@beancakes — June 1, 2011 at 5:30 am

i don’t really care to healthify {sp?} desserts. but at the same time, if it happens to be healthy, then wonderful!!, i won’t complain to that either ;) treasure your last moments on vacation ;)
    bises ~ kristina

Evan Thomas — June 1, 2011 at 5:44 am

I can say they don’t taste beany, but if you’re worried you can always add extra sweetener :-)

NAomi(onefitfoodie) — June 1, 2011 at 6:01 am

oh i love the idea of beans in desserts! the idea of throwing in a little extra fiber punch when all it does is add to the thick and moistness of the dessert…sure go right ahead!

I made chickpea blondies once that were FABULOUS! so so good!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — June 1, 2011 at 6:02 am

Well you know I could taste the beans in those blondies, but Jason swears up and down that he can’t taste them and doesn’t care! So maybe some people really can’t taste the beans.

I still think you could come up with some really good variations of the bean desserts — and seriously if you add enough sugar I’m sure you’d love them!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 7:14 am

I forgot to link your post in this and was thinking about it after I set my auto self timer publishing feature but yes, I remember you vs. jason’s review on them!

char @ char on a mission — June 1, 2011 at 6:02 am

I totally agree with the not wanting to waste precious ingredients if you happen to make a flop dessert. I would like to make desserts healthier, but I like when other people do it first, then I can follow their recipes – whether they flopped to get there or not! I think you look amazing and that’s one reason why I want healthier desserts – I don’t think my body looks amazing enough for me to appreciate it (bad, I know).

Maybe my solution should be to give up desserts, but that may not work either – so healthier dessert options it is!

Keelie (SweatEqualsSuccess) — June 1, 2011 at 6:10 am

I’m really excited to try the beans in dessert trend- I’ve had several Chinese pastries with red-bean paste in the middle, and it was really enjoyable… It’s cool that it’ll add fiber/ protein, but honestly, I’m mostly just curious… Usually the things that sound the strangest end up tasting the best to me! :)

Alissa @ Not Just Apples — June 1, 2011 at 6:38 am

I totally think that you should healthify desserts, but only if you enjoy them! – i make an awesome black bean chocolate cake, which tastes better than regular chocolate cake, and i could literally eat half the cake if i wanted because it’s pretty darn good for you too :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 7:15 am

I love it if something is unintentionally “healthy” in the dessert department…you cake sounds awesome!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — June 1, 2011 at 6:41 am

I have tried beans in cookies and blondies. Both actually came out great. They are for sure different than the “normal” ones but still tasty. I think there is a place for both “healthified” and “regular” desserts. Finding the balance is key.

Lisa — June 1, 2011 at 6:49 am

I wasted a whole batch of ingredients on black bean brownies…and they made a huge mess too. Disgusting!

I’m with you—desserts are meant to be indulgent! I do like to use high quality unprocessed ingredients whenever it’s reasonable to, but I don’t try to cut fat or sugar—I just try to use better quality versions of it.

I went through a phase of trying to name things “mock” anything….So instead of making “tuna” out of chickpeas…I just called it Chickpea Surprise. So banana ice cream? I think Banana Soft Serve is the best name…it may have some connotations related to ice cream, but it is wonderful in its own right! Like with anything, there must be balance between being realistic and enjoying life! Food allergies do get in the way of my sweet tooth…for sure!

I’m not in the whole bean craze in general–they make me feel icky!

Enjoy your day!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 7:18 am

thanks for lmk about the Black Bean Brownie flop and yes, naming things “cute-sy” names or trying to name it something it wasnt…in the early days of my blog I tried to do that (Reading too many raw cookbooks who had a mock everything…) and now, no. I just name it what it is. That way google searches can find it too.

Thanks for lmk about the SFSButter in your brownies. I had to go back and re-read the comment. It never got emailed to me? Almost missed it! Glad i didnt :) Lmk if you try that recipe with full on SFSButter b/c I want to do that version!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life — June 1, 2011 at 7:03 am

I once made the mistake of attempting to make brownies with a can of black beans; that was over a year ago and my husband STILL won’t let me live it down. They were AWFUL!

I’m all for “healthifying” desserts every now and then, but I too am a little leery about adding beans. Plus, there really is never anything to take the place of a fully decadent dessert :)

Kristina @ spabettie — June 1, 2011 at 7:21 am

I am not a HUGE dessert person, but when I do eat dessert I Eat Dessert! :D

I think my justification for these? I eat a couple for my first breakfast, before my workout. They are perfect! I cut the recipe in half the first time, for the very reasons you say, I don’t like to waste food or time at all! Now I make half batches all the time, and it is (an small amount) of time well spent!

I know us bloggers are known for some weird combinations, and I also know some of the things I like are not for everybody. I appreciate that, AND your honesty, and… I will MAKE you one if we ever meet! :D

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 7:26 am

Your goodies, Christin’s, Katie’s, Evan’s….you guys have all made it all look so good…that’s why I have thought about trying them!

I’ll take you up on your offer if we meet :)

Beth — June 1, 2011 at 7:37 am

Beans in dessert? Hadn’t heard of that before. Although, I have made a pizza crust with chick pea flour. It worked better as a brushetta type dish though.

I do try to healthify some desserts, but not all. Sometimes the extent of making them “healthy” is replacing the sugar with honey, or using nut milk instead of actual dairy. Of course, we hardly have any sugar or dairy in the house on a regular basis, so it is easier for me to just make dessert with I have on hand. Christmas is the exception. I go on a baking frenzy and use up a lot of sugar.

Beans the magical fruit: LOL! I think that every time we use them in a recipe ;)

Heidi @ Food Doodles — June 1, 2011 at 8:01 am

Haha, I’m guilty of making cookie dough hummus. And in my defense it was good! But not the best thing ever, although I’m sure a vitamix would have improved on that a little. Plus, the kids devoured it. Other than that I know what you mean. I made black bean brownies once. Ew, is all I will say. Some desserts I like to healthify and some I don’t. I just can’t eat decadent desserts every day or else I turn into a dessert eating monster and that’s all I eat all day. So for every day treats I healthify things but every once in a while I need a good, full of butter and sugar treat.

Katie — June 1, 2011 at 8:04 am

I’ve tried black bean brownies an they sucked big time. I even had a couple other people try them and yeah, no dice. I’ll never do it again, no matter how many times people say they work.

I healthify desserts that I know I will be eating a lot of, like cookies. But if I am making them for a treat or other people – full sugar and fat all the way!

Erica — June 1, 2011 at 8:07 am

I’m with a lot of the other commenters- I’m all for everything in moderation! I like little treats in my life! They help make my world go round :) But sometimes I like “healthifying” up desserts too. I have tried black bean brownies…they don’t taste like brownies. They’re not bad…they’re just not brownies haha.

Kath (My Funny Little Life) — June 1, 2011 at 8:21 am

Well, I must admit that I’m happ for my first batch of black bean “brownies” to have turned out yummy and totally un-beany! ;) I have a severe sugar sensitivity, so having dessert *and* being healthy doesn’t work for me as long as the dessert contains sugar or flour. I need to stay away from them and make protein a priotrity. But I envy you a little. ;)

Callie {Rawxy} — June 1, 2011 at 8:38 am

I’m right there with you – there is a reason it’s called ‘dessert’, because it shouldn’t be consumed in the masses! When I was doing my dessert class, I was like – ‘these are healthy because of the pure ingredients – BUT, that doesn’t mean you should be eating raw brownies for every meal!’ Some people got it, others didn’t. It’s kind of my gripe in regards to the raw food movement, because everyone seems to think that raw desserts are OK to consume 24/7… ?? Not so much. The sugar is natural, but it still spikes your blood sugar. Just saying… :)

elizabeth — June 1, 2011 at 8:39 am

Loved this post! I haven’t jumped on the healthy dessert bandwagon, and don’t plan to. I do use some “healthy” flours (almond, coconut, etc.) because I don’t eat gluten, and I do favor alternative sweeteners over plain old sugar (there’s no proof they’re healthier, so this is admittedly a preference), but that’s as far as it goes. I don’t insist that everything I put in my mouth be “healthy” from a nutritional standpoint. I do, however, insist that everything I eat be delicious. If veggies are food for the body, then brownies are food for the soul. And I’m all about soul nourishment. So I’ll take my sweet and fudgey gluten free brownies over black bean brownies, any day.

jen @ taste life — June 1, 2011 at 8:43 am

Hmmm, I haven’t tried any of the beans-in-desserts recipes except for “dessert hummus,” which I actually like quite a bit. I do enjoy healthier dessert type things (like Deb’s protein muffins), but if I want a “real” dessert, I want something that’s balls to the wall, not something healthified.

I want to go to Aruba!

Amber K — June 1, 2011 at 8:47 am

I LOVE beans, but in desserts I can’t stand them. I really, really, really tried to like black bean brownies and the cookie dough dips made from beans. But I just can’t. They just aren’t good! I’d much rather have “real” dessert. Although banana soft serve is one of my favorites! It may not be “ice cream” but then neither is frozen yogurt and neither is sorbet, it’s just a different dessert. Still yummy!

Basically it boils down to “beans belong in salads not desserts.”

kris (everyday oats) — June 1, 2011 at 9:34 am

I’ve never tried beans in desserts…just avocados once in brownies and you really can’t taste it. So i’m guessing that when using beans, especially a more mild tasting one, there shouldn’t be any bean flavor to it at all. I bet it would give the dessert a more ‘moist’ (sorry, i know you don’t like that word!) or dense texture. But if anyone can pull it off, it’ll be you! All your desserts always look wonderful!

Katelyn (new kid on the vegan block) — June 1, 2011 at 9:35 am

I recently tried making a batch of Katie’s bean based blondies, and they were good, but not really ‘dessert’ material. Not very sweet and I could sort of taste the beans…I did swap out the regular sugar for brown rice syrup, so I don’t know if that had anything to do with it or not. I usually sub agave or brown rice syrup with great success. Anyway, I hear you about not wanting to waste time or ingredients though. I ended up eating them as more of a breakfast item with some almond butter spread on top. So, not a total waste!

• chocolate-covered katie replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 9:53 am

Hey Katelyn! I saw your comment on my post too, and thought I’d just answer you here :).
      Brown rice syrup is actually less sweet than regular sugar or agave, so you need more to get the same amount of sweetness.
      But almond butter can make anything taste good, right? ;)

Jess — June 1, 2011 at 9:52 am

I really like healthify-ing desserts. :D I’ve never tried beans in dessert, though!

Some healthified things have NOT turned out so great though ;)

Tori (Fresh Fruition) — June 1, 2011 at 9:53 am

All your treats look so good! I want to try them all! Haha

Ela — June 1, 2011 at 11:04 am

Awesome! I’ve been looking forward to this post. You are so funny, you cracked me up!

Banana soft serve is a wonderful thing, and it’s been around in raw food circles for at least a decade. I’ve served it to very conventional eaters (including my dad, who is impossible) and they’ve loved it. So no it’s not ice cream, but yes it is a wonderful dessert.

I really admire your attitude about enjoying life and eating dessert. I wrote a post recently about placebo/nocebo where attitudes toward food heavily influence how that food affects you–nocebo (harmful) as well as placebo (good) (with the exception of genuine allergies, of course).

I made black bean brownies and thought they were delicious and fudgy, no beaniness discernible. But I haven’t eaten a regular brownie in who knows how long–I can’t–and Phil didn’t like the texture as much (he wants ditto foods). So I honestly don’t know if you would love them, and it sounds like you have recipes that you do love. So depends whether you feel like the adventure of it. Maybe just don’t call them ‘brownies.’ My tip would be that they come out better if you use baking chocolate than if you use cocoa powder.

One more thought: I want to agree with you on the importance of enjoyment (and love how respectfully you state your position): however, when someone’s actually allergic to something, it’s wonderful to be able to recreate it. I just posted about our ‘comfort foods’ party for memorial day: I made cardamom rice pudding, which was my favorite food in the world but the dairy made me sick. I made it with coconut milk instead of dairy, and it was heavenly–and everyone else loved it too. I also had a gluten free chocolate chip cookie that someone else made. I felt so grateful that it’s possible to replicate–and still be plenty decadent!

Can’t believe you’re already heading back to SD–enjoy the rest of your time in Aruba!
    love
    Ela

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) — June 1, 2011 at 11:15 am

I LOVE “healthifying” desserts! I have been wanting to try the black bean brownies but I totally get where you are coming from too with the just enjoying a basic rich and decadent dessert as well!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 2:45 pm

thanks for lmk!

and a few of your comments recently went into spam. weird! i think my setup has it in for you but hopefully you are now marked as “good” so they wont head to spam :)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — June 1, 2011 at 11:58 am

Enjoy Aruba! and thanks for leaving me drooling over those desserts :D