Eggnog Chai Smoothie

I had not bought eggnog in years and I’m not exactly sure why.

This smoothie reminded me what I have been missing.

And what a fool I’ve been the past few holiday seasons for not eggnogging it up.

I like eggnog best when it’s doctored up with other flavors.

I had some chai spice on hand and combined that with some sugars, a banana, the eggnog and seconds later got my ‘nog on.

Creamy, sweet, frothy, and made me feel like the holidays and Christmas are just around the corner.  They are, but it’s been unseasonably warm here and the eggnog reminded me that yes, it really is almost Christmas.

The chai flavor was present and delicious, but if you are not a chai fan, you can skip it.

I loved it in this smoothie and think it complemented the eggnog well.

Then again, rum would complement the eggnog well, too.

[print_this]

Eggnog Chai Smoothie

1 c eggnog

1 medium banana (previously frozen in chunks is optimal but not necessary)

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 c white sugar

1/4 c brown sugar

1 c ice

1/2 tsp + chai spice blend, or more to taste (buy it here or here or here)

Make your own chai spice blend by combining and mixing the following in a small bowl:

• 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon white pepper (or 1/2 teaspoon black pepper)
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt

Store the extra spice blend in a cool dark place in a covered container

Optional:

Add nutmeg, garam masala, allspice, all to taste.

Use another sweetener such as stevia in place of the sugar.

The banana is mostly added for texture rather than flavor.  You could replace the banana with approximately 1/2 c soaked cashews or approximately 1 c tofu, pressed and diced, if desired.

Add 1 ounce of rum or other liquor, i.e. Bourbon, brandy, whiskey, cognac, Grand Marnier, Cointreau, Triple Sec, Vodka, Malibu, etc.

Directions: Combine eggnog, banana, chai spice, other spices, sugars, and ice in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.  In a Vita-Mix, this took about 20 seconds.

Yields: About 2 cups of smoothie.

Tips:

All ingredients listed are essentially optional and to taste.  Adjust seasoning types and levels to your palate and preferences.

Share with a friend or save half for later in the freezer and remove frozen portion about 30 minutes prior to drinking to allow it to melt a bit and come up to room temperature.  It’s best when slightly melty for optimal creamy flavor.  I make double portions of all my smoothies as long as I am dirtying dishes, I make extra.

Steep one teaspoon of chai spice blend in a teapot with your favorite tea for a delicious treat or add to coffee, water, etc.

[/print_this]

Apparently everyone had nog on the noggin’ the past few days because my local TJ’s was sold out of the regular version of eggnog.

The Trader Joe’s Light Egg Nog I used was a little “thin” tasting on it’s own, but used with the banana and other ingredients, it was perfect for smoothie making.

This smoothie and eggnog and the tweaks I can make and the directions I can go with it will be on my noggin’ for awhile.

I’m thinking:

eggnog and coffee

chai spice + bananas + eggnog in muffins

eggnog cake

chai spice anything

Oh, so many things I could make….

But for now I slurp.

1. Do you like eggnog?  If so, favorite brand or recipe?  With or without alcohol added?

It’s a seasonal offering and that puts the buy-it-now-or-else pressure on and of course I’d like to buy a tasty version of it.

And alcohol added is welcome, depending on the time of day or what else is going on.

Some days you just need a little somethin’ somethin’ extra.

2. Do you like chai spice?

It’s one of those flavors not everyone ‘loves’.  Same with eggnog, some people love it, some people would rather leave it.

I like it but occasionally rather than daily.  I know some people could drink a chai latte every day.  I’m not in that category but I do enjoy a good chai drink every now and then.

P.S. A few of my other recent favorite smoothies are

Blueberry Banana Recovery Smoothie

Caramel Maple Pumpkin Pie Smoothie  <— dessert in a cup!

Thanks for the $50 Asian Food Prize Pack Giveaway Entries

93 Responses to “Eggnog Chai Smoothie”

lauren@spicedplate — November 30, 2011 at 2:27 am

when I was younger, I would get excited for eggnog every year, and then only end up having a tiny cup of it. I think its thickness was a little intense for me. But there something about the smell of it that instantly brings me back to a festive spirit. Maybe I’ll try this lighter version at TJ’s.
    As the “spice lady,” I LOVE chai spice. I’ve even used traditional chai spices in stir fries…so delicious and warming!

Thanks for sharing this idea, and for letting me know about the existence of light eggnog!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 30th, 2011 at 3:57 am

I love that you love spices. I bet you make your own chai spice and it’s probably delish!!

Lauren — November 30, 2011 at 3:47 am

I feel like I may be one of the few that isn’t swooning over egg nog. I mean I don’t mind it but I don’t seem to go crazy over it around this time of year. However, I am going crazy at how good this sounds. :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 30th, 2011 at 3:57 am

I was never a big fan…just a meh thing for me. But infused with the rest of this recipe…I have been going to town on it :)

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous — November 30, 2011 at 3:48 am

That smoothie looks AMAZING!

katie @ KatieDid — November 30, 2011 at 3:54 am

I know just what I’ll be making now for my first holiday party this weekend with all my friends. Definetely going to kick it up a notch with some rum I’m thinking. This sounds sooo wonderful I think it’ll be a big hit!

Joy — November 30, 2011 at 3:59 am

I love egg nog I think it’s silk brand (?) and chai is my favorite… I am one of those people who could have it daily – I like chai like others like chocolate

Erica — November 30, 2011 at 4:09 am

I love the occasional glass of nog! I’ve been wanting to try the soy nog and may pick some up this week. I’m thinking it’d be a fabulous coffee creamer. Not big into chai. Your mix looks so yummy

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — November 30, 2011 at 4:38 am

I LOVE me some eggnog. I pinned this post before I even read the ingredients. Gotta make it, just gotta!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies — November 30, 2011 at 4:40 am

I love egg nog, but usually have too much guilt over the calories to fully enjoy it! The soy stuff is OK but I find that soy makes my tummy hurt. This year I found So Delicious’ Coconut Milk Nog…and I am obsessed already. Closest to the real ting, but without the dairy and all the calories! (Which means I can add a splash of rum, haha.) Seriously though, it’s thick and just sweet enough, I’m pretty amazed by it. I’m gonna have to try this smoothie recipe with it ;)

Bev Weidner — November 30, 2011 at 4:54 am

I hardly eeeever drink it, but I’m going to change that right now! and have some for BREAKFAST.

I’m kidding.

I’ll wait for lunch.

Joy (The Joy Vey) — November 30, 2011 at 4:54 am

I love chai (and eggnog, but interestingly enough, chai more). Yesterday at work, someone brought in a whole box of chai tea because they had bought it, didn’t like it, and wanted to give it to someone who would make use of it. And I have indeed made use of it…about 5 cups worth by now!

Snippets of Thyme — November 30, 2011 at 5:18 am

That looks so delicious. I love that first sip of eggnog during the holidays. And a smoothie…all the better!

nicole marie — November 30, 2011 at 5:23 am

with alcohol! (she says as she fondly looks forward to an evening gin martini). :)
    i haven’t enjoyed eggnog since before becoming vegan, though, and i’m now curious if Silk offers a vegan alternative! i’m sure of it. and wow, the banana sounds like a fantastic addendum. good recipe! x

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 30th, 2011 at 5:24 am

Pretty sure that yes, Silk is vegan, or the So Delicious coconut milk people….pretty sure they make a seasonal offering of ‘nog, too!

• nicole marie replied: — November 30th, 2011 at 5:28 am

yes!!! i so much appreciate your response, and i will be on the lookout for these products!!! thank you, yoga girl!!! x

• Stefanie replied: — November 30th, 2011 at 12:26 pm

The silk “egg”nog is pretty good. I never liked eggnog before going vegan and the soy milk version was not bad.

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — November 30, 2011 at 5:34 am

Yum, I love the sound of this – especially the bananas making the smoothie all nice and thick. I find the true eggnogs to just be too heavy, so I like the Silk Brand. They made a pumpkin egg nog last year that was to die for!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 30th, 2011 at 6:09 pm

some brands of certain things are just…gross. not with only nog, but w/ everything. LOL

Heather (Where's the Beach) — November 30, 2011 at 5:45 am

I always hated the flavor of eggnog until I tried the Silk Soy version. Um, not sure what the difference is, but love that one. And it’s so good in coffee. Love the idea of the muffins or maybe even eggnog pancakes/waffles.

Katie — November 30, 2011 at 5:53 am

I HATE egg nog with a passion. The thickness of it just makes me want to barf. I like the flavor and the spices that go into it though. And again, we’re on the same wavelength – I was just day dreaming cookie edeas for chai and/or eggnog cookies! I want to try to make the cookies without actually using the nog though, just the flavor….

Kelley {mountain mama cooks} — November 30, 2011 at 5:58 am

I love, love, LOVE eggnog. I put it in my coffee a lot this time of year. This smoothie looks awesome!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 30th, 2011 at 6:09 pm

this would be great with some coffee added to it..like a cold coffee smoothie if you’re a hard core nog fan.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — November 30, 2011 at 5:59 am

looks fabulous!! I want some of this now

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — November 30, 2011 at 6:04 am

I’ve never tried egg nog but everyone keeps talking about it this year – I might have to give it a shot.

Neena — November 30, 2011 at 6:11 am

What an awesome recipe!!! It’s starting to get really cold where I live so I might have to save the blending for later, but I’m inspired to make an eggnog latte now. The flavor profiles of chai and eggnog together sound absolutely divine!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — November 30, 2011 at 6:22 am

I love the taste of eggnog, but it’s a little too much for me to ever commit to buying a carton! I usually just want a little swig and then I’m set for the season. This smoothie looks like it could be right up my alley though!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 30th, 2011 at 6:10 pm

agreed on the lil swig/whole carton factor. But you can bake with it or make smoothies with it now :)

Lindsay @ biking before bed — November 30, 2011 at 6:23 am

What a great recipe! This recipe is a prime example of why I started reading food blogs. The flavor combination ideas that I would never think of! I like alcohol in eggnog buy only if I add it myself. Never buy those premixed ones in the liquor store. They are awful! I can’t wait to try this smoothie and to make my own chai spice blend:)

Jill @ A Cook's Nook — November 30, 2011 at 6:26 am

Good find with the TJ’s eggnog. I haven’t seen it in our local store yet, but once I do, I’m making this drink (with the rum…yes…I need that during the holidays). I found you through The Edible Perspective and will definitely be back to read more. Thanks for sharing!

jackie @ marin mama cooks — November 30, 2011 at 6:36 am

Hey there Averie. Here is another thing we have in common, eggnog and chai. I love eggnog but always feel so guilty drinking it so I usually just save it for Christmas eve. My kids hate it, GASP? How strange is that? I am totally 100% going to make this concoction though, seriously! Yummy!

I love chai tea in the afternoon. I make it at home when it’s cold and rainy and I need a warm spicy tea to sip on. I like the Oregon Chai brand. I mix it up with a little 1% and sit back and sip away.

Ok, you have to make that eggnog cake! If anyone can come up with an eggnog cake recipes, it’s you :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 30th, 2011 at 6:07 pm

When I was a kid I thought it was gross, too. But this version? It’s soooo doctored up that my daughter LOVES it. Of course, no alcohol involved but the seasonings and sweeteners work for her!

Chris — November 30, 2011 at 6:41 am

My mom would always buy eggnog during the holidays….loved it, always looked forward to it. There’s just something oh so special about eggnog. Never had it with alcohol though (yet). Chai…oh yeah! I have a cup of chai every morning, can’t get enough cardamom…..mmmmm. Silk has a nice version of eggnog, hope they do the same with their almond milk. Love your pics Averie!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) — November 30, 2011 at 6:41 am

i loveeee eggnog. that looks SO good. i’ve been making vanilla shakes and adding all those spices and it tastes just like eggnog. i need to make my own chai spice blend though! so i’ll be coming back to this recipe :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 30th, 2011 at 6:05 pm

hope you enjoy it and yes, adding enough spices (or sweeteners) to things and you can take even the most ho-hum things into hella yeah things :)

thelittleloaf — November 30, 2011 at 7:14 am

I just linked through to your post from LondonBakes sloe gin cocktail recipe…clearly I’m on a pre-Christmas drinks prowl :-) This eggnog looks amazing – love the addition of chai and can tell from the pictures it’s beautifully thick and creamy. Delicious!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — November 30, 2011 at 7:47 am

So much eggnog popping up recently! I’m determined to buy it this year and not end up throwing half of it out. I usually crave it, take a sip and then remember how thick and rich it is and barely drink anymore. But this year I have cakes, smoothies and cookies to make with it :) love this!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 30th, 2011 at 6:08 pm

“I usually crave it, take a sip and then remember how thick and rich it is and barely drink anymore” — which is why I didnt buy any for years!

but yes baking with it is key :)

my last post…the trick about the ‘Reader situation…still took 30 mins to show, but better than 3 hrs!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — November 30, 2011 at 8:17 am

Two of my absolute favorite flavors– seriously. This will be made very soon in our kitchen.

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan — November 30, 2011 at 8:51 am

The new SoDelicious coconut nog is to die for…I’ve definitely put that in my coffee on more than a few mornings recently.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 30th, 2011 at 6:05 pm

thanks for LMK that…I’ve mentioned it now to other commenters and will try it for myself soon, too!

Maia — November 30, 2011 at 9:21 am

What a terrific combination of flavors!

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl — November 30, 2011 at 10:31 am

I agree with Maia – what a delicious combination. Definitely trying this one. And I think my son is definitely going to dig this one, too!

Its hard getting into the Christmas spirit with this 80 degree weather. But now that ppl are putting up their lights – its helping to get into the spirit. ;)

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — November 30, 2011 at 10:34 am

Yes! So excited that soynog exists!

Amber K — November 30, 2011 at 11:14 am

I am obsessed with So Delicious’s coconut nog. I have never actually had alcohol with nog before. It seems too thick for an alcoholic drink. But perfect for a smoothie!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 30th, 2011 at 6:03 pm

The thick + alcohol is great…a jacked up smoothie is just what the doctor ordered some days :)

• Amber K replied: — November 30th, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Well I’m certainly curious, I’ll have to give it a try sometime!

Katie — November 30, 2011 at 11:19 am

My dad puts brandy in his nog. I like a little Captain. Each year (usually the week before Christmas) we bicker about which is better by alternating a glass of EggNog&brandy with a glass of EggNog&rum. He’ll even drink it with my non-nogs (soy, coconut, etc). It’s really my only Christmas indulgence. We get pretty sloshed and have a blast! I guess we both win!

• Katie replied: — November 30th, 2011 at 11:20 am

Addition: I even have an aunt who puts red wine in her egg nog. She doesn’t get to play with us. That sounds gross!

Kris | iheartwellness.com — November 30, 2011 at 11:30 am

Ok, I do love me some nog, but I dont think it likes me…then I was just told that there is real raw egg in it, that freaked me out! LOL!!

This looks delish and I love the nog lattes from starbies when I have the balls to drink one!!!! Yours looks so much healthier!! xxoo

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 30th, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Orange julius’ are served with raw egg, Hollandaise sauce, so many things that people forget about. Not necessarily always raw eggs in them, but often. That said, no raw egg in my version :)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries — November 30, 2011 at 11:39 am

I go back and forth whether I like eggnog or not. I think I need to buy some again to try it out. My taste buds have changed over the years, so maybe this year I’ll love it. As for Chai, I love it. I don’t think I could have it every single day, but I love an occasional Chai Latte.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 30th, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Even if you don’t ‘love’ eggnog, I can almost guarantee you will like this smoothie. It’s really doctored up!

Ela — November 30, 2011 at 11:40 am

I adore chai spice and anything thick smoothie really.

Have you tried making your own egg nog? It’s really easy to do and (imho) always tastes better than the store version. you can do it with egg, or without, with banana, or lucuma is great in there too…

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — November 30, 2011 at 11:51 am

Wowzers! I’ll take one for sure! I just got back into egg nog a few years back. A sip now and then but I’ve never done anything this tasty with it!!

Amanda — November 30, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I am not a fan of eggnog, but the rest of my family is so I will be making this for them. I love chai anything though and have made my own spice in the past. I used to drink chai tea every morning, but got hooked on my java again!!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — November 30, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I do love eggnog, which is why I need to get my hands on some of this lightened up version! I too have been thinking about eggnog smoothies…now I can’t wait to get to work on my recipe! Yum!

Marla — November 30, 2011 at 1:30 pm

LOVE chai spice, eggnog and icy-creamy cold drinks. These are an obvious BIG HIT!! Would love one right now. I can’t believe you leave Friday. Bet you are soooo excited! XXOO

Julia — November 30, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Horizon makes a low fat organic eggnog. That’s my FAVE! This smoothie looks DELISH!

Clare @ sweetnsimple — November 30, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Oh yumm.. I love anything chai spiced – definitely making this :)

Ann from Sumptuous Spoonfuls — November 30, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Funny … I tried putting eggnog in my chai tea after my daughter insisted we buy eggnog, then didn’t drink it. It was SO good! So I bet this smoothie would be just awesome. I want to try the version with the alcohol! Maybe some rum or brandy … mmm :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 30th, 2011 at 5:57 pm

don’t forget the rum or brandy..LOL

and kids are classic for wanting things in the store but then not wanting them at home.

Aggie — November 30, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Can I be honest here? I didn’t realize people drank eggnog WITHOUT alcohol until my friend told me she does all the time today. She also told me that Silk makes and awesome “Nog” which I will be hunting down soon…this smoothie looks amazing!! LOVE your photos!

Hope you had a nice holiday!!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 30th, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I actually didnt know it til I was in college…I assumed that everyone drank nog with booze! I grew up that way…so when people were drinking virgin nog I was like..huh?! :)

Ellen — November 30, 2011 at 3:45 pm

God I love eggnog. I rarely buy it , just consume it at holiday parties, so I don’t have a preferred brand.
    If I did buy it though, I think I’d thicken it up with ice cream, or maybe pumpkin…though I’m intrigued by your tofu option:)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — November 30th, 2011 at 5:55 pm

yeah the tofu option…lots of vegan/veg bakers use it in baked goods, pies specifically, and I am sure that you could get a similar texture from ‘fu rather than bananas but would impart almost no taste. Some ppl hate bananas at all costs. But yeah tofu in raw or in nobake vegan baking…pretty common.

• Ellen replied: — December 1st, 2011 at 12:54 am

Thanks for the tip!
        I don’t hate bananas-they just aren’t my favorite thing:)

belle (tinkeringinthekitchen) — December 3, 2011 at 6:17 am

What a delicious idea :) Ive just bookmarked to try out tomorrow. Thanks! Belle

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 4, 2011 at 9:03 am

I like chai spice … and I have never had egg nog!

Miss Kimbers @ Fruit Salad and Mixed Veg — December 13, 2011 at 12:08 am

Oooooo! :)
    I never knew one could buy egg nog here in Australia, but I saw it in a supermarket catalogue yesterday. This is something to try as I believe I have only had egg nog once! Once! Ahhh!

A lovely blog you have here:)

emily W. — January 29, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I’ve been meaning to tell you this for a couple of months now…I loved this recipe. It was a great starting place. I will say, Lifeway makes a Pumpkin Spice flavor of kefir that reminded me of eggnog. While I would not have drunk it on my own, it was perfect for this smoothie! Also, instead of ice used frozen pumpkin cubes and for liquid I used low sugar chai and no sweetener. Thanks for sharing it!