Shake It Up

In honor of National Chocolate Milkshake Day that’s coming up later this week, I wanted to share 10 of my favorite smoothies and shakes.

Fall-Flavored

Citrus and Spice Smoothie (vegan, GF) – Pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon puts me in the mood for fall

Spiced Apple Pie Smoothie (vegan, GF) – Better than apple cider because it’s creamy and thick

Caramel Maple Pumpkin Pie Smoothie – Pumpkin pie in a cup

Cinnamon Raisin Bread Smoothie (vegan, GF) – Like drinking a slice of cinnamon raisin toast and makes me feel cozy

Fruity

Peach Banana Colada Smoothie (vegan, GF) – If you like peach coladas, this is for you

Orange PushUp Smoothie – Like an old-fashioned Orange PushUp in smoothie form and one of the most popular recipes on my site

Pineapple Banana & Coconut Cream Smoothie (vegan, GF) – The smoothie equivalent of a virgin pina colada. Feel free to add rum

Dessert In A Cup:

Fluffernutter Banana Smoothie (vegan, GF) – Marshmallows, peanut butter, and bananas can do no wrong

Banana Cream Pudding Pie & Caramel Smoothie – Like a banana cream pie complete with caramel sauce, white chocolate and butterscotch chips

Chocolate Cake Batter Milkshake – And last but not least and in true honor of the upcoming holiday, my favorite chocolate milkshake

Do you have a favorite smoothie or shake?

Feel free to link up your favorite recipes in the comments

Next post involves…Pumpkin!

29 Responses to “Shake It Up”

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance — September 10, 2012 at 10:58 am

Your cinnamon bread smoothie looks awesome–I can never get enough cinnamon! This apple pie smoothie is still my favorite! http://eatmovebalance.com/simple-apple-pie-smoothie/

sally @ sallys baking addiction — September 10, 2012 at 11:42 am

These are the 10 things I think about during a hot and sweaty work out. WHEN can I be done with these squats and drink my fluffernutter smoooooothie?!?! Lol! I have yet to try that one, actually! But I have made a cake batter shake before (bananas, butter extract, sprinkles, vanilla yogurt) and an apple pie-ish smoothie before! My go-to smoothies are frozen bananas, frozen strawbs, spinach, vanilla greek yogurt, almond milk, and frozen mangos. :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 10th, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Thank you for making me LOL on the ‘squats and drink my fluffernutter smoooooothie’ part…oh that is classic! I love the sound of your cake batter shake – I have butter extract on hand (adding it to butter for buttered popcorn brings out even MORE butter flavor :)) but your go-to smoothies sound like mine. Basic stuff that is actually….kinda healthy :)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — September 10, 2012 at 11:59 am

I NEED to start making shakes and smoothies. These all sound fantastic!!

Laura Dembowski — September 10, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I haven’t had a milkshake in so long. It makes me remember when I was younger and getting them all the time at all different places. It’s amazing how they seemed to heal all physical and emotional wounds then. If only life stayed that simple.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 10th, 2012 at 3:41 pm

For me it was a DQ Heath Bar Blizzard not a milkshake per se that could do that :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — September 10, 2012 at 12:37 pm

These all look good, great flavors. I kind of free hand smoothies for breakfast adding what fruits, veggies, protein powders, and whatever spices I’m feeling – cinnamon and ginger are great fall adds and cacao powder is always wonderful with frozen banana chunks. :-)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — September 10, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I seriously need to make all of these! I’ve been taking advantage of my blender lately so I’ll be making the orange pushup smoothie first!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — September 10, 2012 at 1:04 pm

That spiced apple pie smoothie has my name all over it! Nothing beats Fall, it is the best time of the year simply for the flavors and scents!!

Cassie — September 10, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Oooo, fun!! I must make more of these at home!

Elaine — September 10, 2012 at 2:27 pm

My all time favorite smoothie is the classic Strawberry Banana. BUT it must be made with some kind of dairy product. Smoothies made with strictly juice don’t cut it! I’ve played around with different combinations of ingredients and think I’ve found the perfect recipe:

I’m going to have to give your Chocolate Cake Batter Milkshake a try. YUM!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 10th, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Smoothies have to have a fat source for me or something to give them some creaminess and oomph! Worst case scenario is a banana for the creamy factor but a splash of cream goes a long way :)

Ellen — September 10, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Mmmm shakes. There is a frozen custard place back in my hometown of St. Louis that makes “concretes”, a shake do thick they always turn it upside down right before handing it to you to prove its thickness. Frozen custard makes amazing concretes, I always used to get mint Oreo or mint chocolate chip ones.

bakerbynature — September 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm

That citrus and spice smoothie is on my weekend “to-do” list for this week- cannot wait! I know your recipes never disappoint ;)

Paula — September 10, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I love how frozen banana chunks thicken up a smoothie so that’s usually my base fruit (plus some nut butter and either cinnamon or chocolate). I have had your pumpkin pie smoothie (yum–pumpkin pie in a glass!), and with apple season coming into full swing, I want to give the apple pie smoothie a try. We have our annual Johnny Appleseed festival coming up this weekend and I love to sample all the different varieties of apples!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 10th, 2012 at 8:02 pm

The apple pie one is great! And I have an apple recipe going out on Sunday that is pretty amazing. Not a smoothie. A real recipe…you’re gonna love it. And the pumpkin recipe is next!

Simply Life — September 10, 2012 at 6:10 pm

wow! so many great combinations!!! Now I’m craving one!

Leslie — September 10, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Ohhhh my. I wouldnt know which one to make first. Maybe I’ll make them all. The Fluffernutter one keeps taunting me.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 10th, 2012 at 8:01 pm

That’s a good one to start with – can’t go wrong :)

Michele Sparrow — September 10, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Awesome smoothies! I made your cinnamon raisin bread smoothie the other night for Simeon, but subbed vanilla ice cream for the milk and used honey for the sweetener! He LOVED it! :-)

When I was a teenager, I used to get Wendy’s frosty and their giant, chocolate chip cookie to go and then break it up and mush it all together and eat it! Not exactly a smoothie, but good memories of that for sure!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 10th, 2012 at 8:00 pm

vanilla ice cream as a sub for milk sounds wayyyyy better! and with honey, mmmm!

I loved giant Frosty’s and DQ Blizzards as a kid & teenager….oh, the memories!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — September 10, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Your smoothies and shakes look amazing!!! Would it be horrible to have one before bed?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 10th, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Not at all! And I can’t access your site ‘error establishing database’ message…I’m sure it will resolve soon (usually a sign of a quick spike in traffic and server can’t keep up)

• Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers replied: — September 10th, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Thanks for letting me know. I am having issues with my blog. That error keeps coming up. I am not sure what to do. My webhosting company thinks it’s an error with my scripts and recommended I get the Cloud to help optimize it. I optimized everything everywhere and it still doesn’t help. Ugh!!! I think I need a bigger server?

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 10, 2012 at 10:38 pm

My favourite smoothie is a good ole green monster!

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings — September 11, 2012 at 5:31 am

What a great post with all these recipes! I had a nutella one with burnt marshmallows at a restaurant over the weekend- heaven!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League — September 11, 2012 at 5:42 am

Love this recipe roundup! Archived smoothie recipes are not something I tend to browse too often, so it’s great to have a handy collection right here! The spiced apple pie smoothie is calling my name…

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 11th, 2012 at 11:03 am

“Archived smoothie recipes are not something I tend to browse too often” <– and I think you are in the 100% majority of everyone out there. I mean, who does! lol :)