Creamy Boozy Iced Coffee

I love iced coffee so much that I can’t even order it from a coffee shop unless I wanted to go broke.

I can slam a $4 drink in 14 seconds.

Creamy Boozy Iced Coffee - Jazz up your usual iced coffee & try this smooth & creamy version! So good & very refreshing!

It’s better for my wallet that I make my own iced coffee at home.

Plus, at home I can add booze.

I’ve never understood the mystique behind iced coffee and why people are so impressed, yet intimated by it.

Like Chocolate Chip Cookies, there are so many different recipes and ways to make it. Yet in the end, they all taste fairly similar. The difference is that some of them seem ridiculously complicated and labor-intensive.

My method is extremely fast and easy. Brew a pot coffee. Drink whatever hot coffee you want. Take the leftover and pour it into a jar or pitcher and refrigerate it. You can also pour some into ice cube trays for coffee ice cubes.

I always keep a stash of chilled coffee in my fridge and when I’m ready for an iced coffee, I simply pour it over ice and stir in cream and sweetener.

I also added Frangelico. It’s a liqueur made with toasted hazelnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, cocoa and vanilla extract. The flavor profile is right up my alley. You’d be hard pressed to find a dessert recipe of mine that doesn’t use at least one, or three or four, or those elements.

It’s so well-suited for adding a splash of it to coffee. You can add it to warm coffee of course, but at this time of year, iced coffee is especially tasty. Then again, I drink steaming hot coffee in July and iced coffee in January. Coffee knows no seasons.

There’s a recipe for Iced Coffee on Frangelico’s site, but it’s made with espresso, but not everyone has an espresso maker.

Instead I used Dark Sumatra coffee, courtesy of the Trader.

Sumatra Coffee averiecooks.com

The drink is creamy, sweet enough, and the flavor of the hazelnuts in the Frangelico shines.

There are hints of cocoa in Frangelico, and I played that up and added dark chocolate shavings to the drink. Feel free to add a squirt of chocolate syrup. Take any excuse to work in more chocolate into your life.

I don’t normally add whipped cream to coffee but this was a special occasion so I went for it. The creamier the better. I’m that person who likes a little coffee with my cream.

It’s smooth, tastes luxurious and fancy, but it’s so fast and easy. It’s truly the 1 minute iced coffee.

It goes down so fast and easy, too. It’s almost Friday of a holiday weekend. Cheers!

Print Print Recipe

Creamy Boozy Iced Coffee

This is the fastest and easiest method way to make iced coffee that I've tried, and I've tried plenty. As long as you keep a stash of chilled coffee in your fridge, you can make a smooth, creamy, rich, and fancy-tasting drink in just one minute. Frangelico is a liqueur made with toasted hazelnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, cocoa and vanilla extract, and a splash is perfect in coffee. Such a refreshing and satisfying drink.

Yield: 1 iced coffee, about 8 ounces

Prep Time: 1 minute

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: 1 minute

Ingredients:

6 ounces strong brewed coffee, well-chilled
large handful of ice cubes (tip: freeze leftover coffee in ice cube trays for coffee ice cubes)
1 ounce Frangelico
1 ounce half-and-half, or to taste (or cream, milk, flavored coffee creamer, non-dairy milk to keep vegan)
sweetener to taste (sugar, stevia, vanilla stevia, or your favorite sweetener)
whipped topping (or whipped coconut cream to keep vegan), optional for garnishing
pinch dark chocolate shavings, optional for garnishing
squirt of chocolate syrup, optional

Directions:

1. Brew coffee. Allow it to cool, and pour cooled coffee into a pitcher or large jar. Refrigerate until chilled; overnight is best. I always keep a stash of chilled coffee in the refrigerator.
  2. Add ice cubes to a large glass. Pour coffee over ice.
  3. Add Frangelico, half-and-half, sweetener, and stir to combine.
  4. Optionally, garnish with whipped topping, chocolate shavings, chocolate syrup. Serve immediately.
  5. Take care all ingredients used are suitable for your dietary needs. Drink is intended for those whom alcohol consumption is appropriate. Always drink responsibly.

Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.

Related Recipes

Vanilla Iced Coffee – I’ll never forget the very hot day in Aruba that I took these pictures, almost 2 years ago to the date

Homemade Baileys Irish Cream – Make in blender in less than 1 minute

Rum Runner

Peach Mango Pineapple White Sangria (vegan, GF)

Coconut Water Champagne Fruit Punch (vegan, GF)

Mango Coconut Water Tropical Martini – Only 103 calories per drink

Bananas Foster Shooters

Have you ever tried Frangelico? Coffee or iced coffee fan?

113 Responses to “Creamy Boozy Iced Coffee”

Colette | JFF! — May 24, 2013 at 10:34 am

I recognize those chocolate pieces….that’s TJoe’s best,
    4 buckeroos for a pound of Belgian chocolate.
    Y
    U
    M

Love Frangelico. Great coffee idea!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 24th, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I am 100% loyal to their Pound Plus Bars and always have milk, dark, and 72% varieties on hand at all times for whatever my baking needs are!

Manderley — May 24, 2013 at 10:34 am

I don’t know which I like more… the first is sooooo yumm!!!

xo

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan — May 24, 2013 at 10:36 am

Creamy and boozy? Yes please! I am like you, I can slam down an iced coffee in minutes : )

Rachel @ Bakerita — May 24, 2013 at 12:57 pm

This looks so good! I totally agree about buying iced coffee, I think I finished my Starbucks yesterday in 30 seconds flat. Thankfully I learned how to make it at home, haha! Your version looks amazing though!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 24th, 2013 at 1:43 pm

The 30 seconds problem is why I can’t even buy it anymore!

• John O'Connor replied: — July 17th, 2014 at 8:52 am

Hi Rachel do you mind sharing how you make it at home would love to know

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes — May 24, 2013 at 2:47 pm

OMG Averie, as much as I love iced coffee, you kill me by adding frangelico, one of my absolute favorite liqueurs! I made some hazelnut liqueur a few months ago, but the link to the story and ingredients makes me want to try again.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 24th, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I made Baileys in Feb. and now you have me intrigued with your hazelnut liqueur!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — May 24, 2013 at 4:40 pm

YUM! I was just standing in BevMo trying to decide if I wanted Frangelico or St. Germain. I opted for St. Germain :) Next time I’ll get the Frangelico.

PS. Love the new graphic/logo!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 24th, 2013 at 9:04 pm

You can’t go wrong with either! And I hope you and J have a wonderful holiday weekend!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 24th, 2013 at 9:07 pm

and p.s. Thanks! What a labor of love? it’s been with my site makeover and getting it all together but I looooove it now. Thanks for noticing!

Laura Dembowski — May 24, 2013 at 8:02 pm

This is bringing me back to my Starbucks and Coffee Beanery days ( not sure if Coffee Beanery is a national thing but I always liked it better). I love that you added booze!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 24th, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I used to work at the mall in h.s. in MN and yes,Coffee Beanery, very familiar! And they are natl and I have been to one in San Diego (on the opposite side of San Diego from where I live now) but yes, they have great flavored coffee!

PapaLos - The Man, The Chef, The Dad — May 24, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I’m a sucker for iced coffee too but I never added booze to it. I feel like I’ve been wasting my time! Love Frangelico.

And I’ve been meaning to make some coffee ice cubes! It’s the season for them.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 24th, 2013 at 9:03 pm

You’re never wasting your time with coffee, but…things can be improved upon :)

Valerie — May 25, 2013 at 8:21 am

I never order iced coffee drinks for just that reason – they go down way too fast! (I get what I pay for with hot lattes, they require nursing.) Maybe if I made my own chilly coffee, I wouldn’t have to worry so much about gulping down my money. :D

Great idea to toss in the Frangelico! ♥

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 25th, 2013 at 1:55 pm

gulping down my money = that is EXACTLY the perfect sentiment and how I feel about it. Well said! And thanks for the pin!

Emma — May 25, 2013 at 8:49 am

This looks so good. I’ve never tried Frangelico but I love anything with nuts in it and so I will definitely consider buying a bottle!

Julia @ hungryandconfused — May 26, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Have just started to make my own iced coffees to cool down from the heat and I can totally relate on the slamming it in 14 seconds. They are just so refreshing and sweet, it’s difficult not to chug it all in one go! Also, I LOVE frangelico – what a great idea to add a splash.

Lisa @ Wine & Glue — May 26, 2013 at 5:49 pm

This drink looks amazing! I’ve never met an iced coffee I didn’t like, and I too LOVE adding the booze to it. I’ve never tried Frangelico, but now I must. I love all things hazelnut. Except the actual nut itself, lol!

Nutmeg Nanny — May 26, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I am an iced coffee addict! This looks fabulous :)

Kim of Mo'Betta — May 27, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Oh man! This looks and sounds amazing! I loooove iced coffee (and hot coffee)…and booze for that matter ;-)

Tri — May 27, 2013 at 9:11 pm

The glass on first picture was popular in Asia at the moment. It often uses for ice plum tea or ice cream coffee in cafe at summer season. Nice details.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — May 27, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I can’t fathom the idea of not sipping coffee even for a day. Sigh. Yours look so so dreamy :)

Trish - Mom On Timeout — June 4, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Yeah. This looks pretty incredible! Going to be perfect for these hot summer days coming up!

Ruth Cobb — June 8, 2013 at 10:40 am

I like your ideas for iced coffee. We make a double strength coffee and had whatever flavored creamer is in the house and some 2 % milk and some sweetener. I keep a quart in the fridge for me. My daughter is like you with chocolate. The more the merrier.

Those other ideas following the recipe are going to be saved for later. They look good too.

Mary D — June 30, 2013 at 1:25 pm

You can get espresso for regular machines. If this works out, I may not need Starbucks anymore…..

JODY — September 17, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Do you make your own vegan whipped cream or is it something you can find in stores?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — September 17th, 2013 at 5:55 pm

You can whip full fat coconut milk. Just skim off the top layer after it’s separated and chilled in the fridge and whip it!

JODY — September 17, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Do you make your own vegan whipped cream or is it something that can be found in the store?

Maggie — November 5, 2014 at 9:45 am

Suggestion for your love of iced coffee — a Toddy Cold Brew System (https://toddycafe.com/). Using this to make iced coffee is so much yummier than cooling brewed coffee.