Homemade Baileys Irish Cream — Homemade Baileys Irish Cream comes together 1 minute, with ingredients you likely already have on hand. Rich, creamy, and the flavor is a dead ringer for store-bought!
Homemade Baileys Recipe
Homemade Baileys comes together in under one minute in the blender. It’s so easy that if you’re a Baileys Irish Cream fan, you’ll wonder why you didn’t do this sooner. Simply combine cream or half-and-half, sweetened condensed milk, Irish whiskey, a pinch of instant coffee, dash of chocolate syrup, vanilla, and blend.
The flavor is spot on and so very creamy. I used half-and-half rather than cream, and can only imagine how rich it would be with cream.
Between the sweetened condensed milk, half-and-half, and vanilla it’s no wonder I’ve always loved the stuff. Dessert in a shot glass.
I don’t think it’s any cheaper to make homemade Irish cream, but it’s also not more expensive than store-bought. With the exception of the Irish whiskey, I always have the rest of the ingredients on hand so it didn’t feel like I bought things just to make homemade Baileys from scratch.
The real satisfaction comes from being able to say, oh yes, I can make Baileys Irish cream.
At parties, there’s always that one person who can mix a great drink, juggle shot glasses, catch peanuts in their mouth, or tie cherry stems into knots with their tongue. Now you’ll be the star of the party with this little Baileys recipe up your sleeve.
Serve it chilled, over ice, in mixed drinks or in coffee. Make cake, donuts, cupcakes, brownies, or frosting with it. There’s no wrong way to use it.
And if you need inspiration, just read food blogs the week before St. Paddy’s Day. Or Google “Baileys desserts” for 2.8 million ideas. My idea is to pour a little jigger and sip happily.
Homemade Baileys Irish Cream Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this homemade Baileys Irish cream recipe:
- Irish whiskey
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Half and half
- Chocolate syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Instant coffee granules
How to Make Baileys Irish Cream
This homemade Irish cream recipe couldn’t be simpler to make! Just add all the ingredients to a blender and mix until smooth.
How Long Does Homemade Irish Cream Last?
If stored in an air-tight container, homemade Baileys can last up to 2 months in the fridge. The alcohol helps preserve it, but always sniff the mixture first to make sure it hasn’t gone off (trust me, you’ll know if the half and half has gone sour).
I also recommend shaking the homemade Baileys before enjoying it, just to mix everything back together.
Can I Use Regular Coffee Instead of Instant Coffee Granules?
No, you want to use instant coffee or espresso granules and not regular coffee. Instant coffee granules have a more concentrated flavor and will deliver that coffee taste Baileys is known for without watering down the drink.
What Type of Whiskey Should I Use?
I used Jameson whiskey in my homemade Baileys recipe, but any Irish whiskey will do.
Tips for Making Baileys Irish Cream
Sweetened condensed milk: Make sure to buy sweetened condensed milk and not evaporated milk. Sweetened condensed milk is much thicker and sweeter and won’t water down the Baileys.
Vanilla: For the best flavor, I recommend using pure vanilla extract and not the imitation kind. I like using imitation vanilla in some of my baked goods, but for this Baileys recipe you want the real stuff.
Half and half vs. cream: As I said before, you’re welcome to use either half and half or heavy cream in this homemade Irish cream. Don’t use regular milk though, otherwise your Baileys won’t be creamy enough.
Chocolate syrup swap: One way you can tweak this recipe for a nutty and cinnamon taste is to add 1-2 tablespoons of Perfect Keto’s Chocolate Hazelnut Nut Butter. This would be a good replacement for Hershey’s Chocolate syrup if you want to reduce the amount of sugar in your drink.
Recipes Using Baileys Irish Cream
Now that you know how to make Irish cream from scratch, it’s time to enjoy it! Some ideas for repurposing this Baileys Irish cream recipe include:
- Santa’s Magic Potion (Eggnog and Bailey’s) — Not sure what to mix with eggnog? Baileys, of course! This creamy eggnog cocktail mixes the two to create a holiday drink you’ll love!
- Creamy Chocolate Martini — Everything is better with Nutella, including these martinis that go down so easily! The Frangelico adds hazelnut, cinnamon, and vanilla notes, while the Baileys Irish Cream provides richness and creaminess.
- Irish Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes — A tender chocolate cupcake made from scratch with batter that’s spiked with Guinness, along with a hint of Jameson Irish whiskey in the chocolate ganache filling. The cupcakes are frosted with a silky smooth Baileys buttercream frosting!
- Frozen Mudslide — These frozen mudslides are decadent dessert-like drinks made with three types of alcohol for a slightly boozy milkshake with an abundance of chocolate syrup!
- Death by Chocolate No-Bake Cheesecake Bars — Only for serious chocoholics because they’re rich, creamy, decadent, and loaded with chocolate!! NO-BAKE and an easy MAKE-AHEAD dessert!!
Pin This Recipe
- 1 2/3 cups Irish whiskey (I used Jameson)
- one 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup half-and-half or heavy cream (I used half-and-half)
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup (I used Hershey’s)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules or instant espresso (make sure it’s instant so it dissolves)
- Combine all ingredients in the canister of a blender and blend on high speed until smooth, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Transfer mixture to a glass bottle or airtight container with a tight-fitting lid and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months (I have read anywhere between 1 to 2 months; the alcohol helps preserve it, but always use the sniff test and common sense).
- Shake well before using.
Recipe intended for those whom alcohol consumption is appropriate. Always drink responsibly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 731Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 218mgCarbohydrates: 82gFiber: 0gSugar: 80gProtein: 13g
More Easy Drink Recipes:
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Martini – An indulgent chocolate martini that’s perfect for Valentine’s Day, anniversaries, date-night-in, or a girls-night-in! Plenty of chocolate flavor in this festive, fun, and easy martini!
Tequila Sunrise — Not only is it pretty to look at, but a Tequila Sunrise is also refreshing, nostalgic, and the grenadine sweetens it up enough that you may not even notice it packs quite a punch!
Malibu Sunset — A fun, fruity, easy Malibu drink recipe!! Because there’s really no wrong way to do pineapple, orange juice, coconut rum, grenadine, and cherries! If you’ve never had this fruity alcoholic drink, you should change that!!
Tropical Strawberry Lemonade Party Punch — This Tropical Alcoholic Punchis one of my all-time favorite party drinks! Feel free to leave the alcohol out if desired. This punch tastes delicious even without it!
Tropical Mango Mimosas – A fun, easy, and refreshing twist on classic mimosas!! A party favorite at your next brunch or event! Everyone will want REFILLS!!
Homemade Margaritas — How to make a margarita with just three natural ingredients! Nothing fake, neon green, and no sugary chemicals. This is the best homemade margarita recipe I’ve tried and it’s the easiest!!
Kiss on the Lips Cocktail — This frozen drink is quick and easy, fruity, tropical-tasting, and the colors are so fun. It goes down way too easily and would be extra refreshing on hot summer days.
Originally posted March 14, 2013 and reposted March 17, 2021 with updated text.