Death-By-Chocolate No Bake Cheesecake Bars
Death-By-Chocolate No Bake Cheesecake Bars – Only for serious chocoholics because they’re rich, creamy, decadent, and loaded with chocolate!! NO-BAKE and an easy MAKE-AHEAD dessert!!
How To Make The Death-By-Chocolate No Bake Cheesecake Bars
If you’re a true chocoholic and love rich and decadent desserts, these easy no-bake bars are going to be your new be friend.
They’re very elegant tasting and would be perfect served after a dinner party or at a holiday event.
They’re also a great summer dessert when you don’t want to turn on your oven.
The thin yet crunchy chocolate cookie crust pairs perfectly with the super smooth and creamy chocolate cream cheese filling.
In a food processor, blend together Oreo cookies, melted butter, and melted chocolate for the crust.
Top the crust with a mixture of melted chocolate, heavy cream, cream cheese, and an optional tablespoon of Baileys Irish Cream or Kahlua.
Finally, sprinkle the surface with mini chocolate chips and allow your death by chocolate to set up for at least 3 hours in the fridge, or overnight.
The Chocolate Options
I love the Trader Joe’s Pound Plus Bars because they melt like a dream and they are cost efficient. Use your favorite dark chocolate bar.
I wouldn’t go much darker than about 72% because there is no added sugar in this recipe and the darker the chocolate is, it’s naturally less sweet and more bitter and you don’t want the dessert to be too bitter tasting because the chocolate is uber dark.
However, I wouldn’t go with milk chocolate either. That’s too wimpy (sorry) to give you the decadent mouth-feel this recipe aims for.
I do not recommend using chocolate chips at all for this recipe. They are more resistant to melting than you want. Use a chocolate bar.
I used mini chocolate chips to sprinkle on top and recommend doing the same. Full size chocolate chips are going to be somewhat ‘clunky’ for the size and scale of these bars. Mini is the way to go here if possible.
Because these bars need to chill for at least 3 hours, you’ll have to plan ahead a bit. There is no harm in making them the day before you need them and letting them chill overnight.
They will also keep for weeks in the fridge and remain virtually unchanged in taste.
Your mileage may vary of course and I don’t recommend making them 2 weeks in advance of a fancy dinner party and then serving them, but if your teenager happens to find a few in the back of the fridge a couple weeks later and proclaims them just as delicious as when you first made them, I wouldn’t be surprised.
Point being, they are an excellent make-ahead dessert because you can make them well in advance and cross that off your to-do list.
Normally I laugh when people make 16 servings from a 9×9-inch pan but in this case, you really don’t need more than a small square because they’re so rich and satisfying.
You could serve them with whipped cream or whipped topping but we preferred the unadulterated chocolate glory.
- 18 Oreo cookies
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate, melted
- 4 ounces brick-style cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup heaving whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Baileys Irish Cream or Kahlua, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional and to taste but recommended
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Line a 9x9-inch pan with aluminum foil for easier cleanup and spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- To the canister of a food processer, add the Oreos (whole) and process on high speed until you have fine crumbs; set aside.
- To a small microwave-safe bowl, add the butter, 1 tablespoon chocolate, and heat on high power until the chocolate and butter have melted and can be stirred smooth.
- Pour melted chocolate and butter mixture into the food processor, process on high speed to incorporate, turn crumb mixture out into the prepared pan, and hard-pack the mixture to form and even flat crust layer; set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, and beat with a handheld electric mixer on high speed until fluffy; set aside.
- To a separate, large, microwave-safe bowl, add the 8 ounces chopped chocolate, heavy cream, and heat in 30-second increments until the chocolate has melted and can be stirred smooth into the cream and mixture is silky, likely about 90 seconds total, but microwaves vary and you don't want to scorch your mixture.
- Transfer the creamy chocolate mixture into the bowl with the cream cheese and beat on high power until smooth and combined.
- Optionally add the liquor and/or salt. I really recommend not skipping the salt because it complements the chocolate flavors in the dessert and balances the richness. Actually, I added 1 full teaspoon and we still didn't think it tasted like a salted chocolate dessert but all tastes and preferences vary.
- Evenly sprinkle with the mini chocolate chips and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight or a few days in advance, before slicing and serving. After the 3-hour point when dessert is well chilled, cover with foil when dessert is in the fridge. Initially, there will be some heat which will create condensation and that's why initially you don't want to cover it but after it's sufficiently chilled, yes cover it. Dessert will keep for at least 10 days in the fridge, and likely much longer, but store and consume it for as long as you're comfortable.
Adapted from BHG
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 29mg Sodium: 147mg Carbohydrates: 24g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 17g Protein: 2g
Oreo Brownie Lush – A rich and decadent dessert with fudgy brownies, cream cheese, chocolate pudding, whipped topping, and Oreo cookies!! EASY, great for parties, and it’s a chocoholics dream!!
Mississippi Mud Pie Bars – An EASY, almost no-bake dessert with a chocolate chip cookie base, chocolate pudding, sweetened cream cheese, Oreos, and hot fudge!! RICH, decadent, indulgent, and a great party dessert that you can MAKE-AHEAD!!
White and Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Chocolate Cake Bars – Chocolate cake with chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, and filled with cream cheese! Fast, easy and foolproof!
The Easiest Foolproof Fudge – Look no further than this recipe for the EASIEST and most FOOLPROOF fudge that takes less than 3 minutes to make!! Customize it with your favorite add-ins like cranberries and walnuts! Great for gifts and cookie exchanges!!
Loaded Oreo Cream Cheese Brownies – Ultra fudgy brownies topped with cream cheese, white chocolate chips, chocolate chips, and Oreos! Loaded to the max and so good! Easy, no mixer recipe that’s as easy as using a mix!
Boyfriend Brownies – Thick, rich, and a chocolate lovers dream!! Fudgy in the center with chewy edges and studded with chocolate chips! If you’re craving chocolate, this EASY homemade brownie recipe is just what you need!!
The Best Turtle Brownies – Super fudgy and loaded with chocolate, pecans and caramel! So.crazy.good!
Texas Sheet Cake Brownies – Easy, fudgy, no mixer brownies that are rich, chocolaty and decadent! The classic Texas sheet cake frosting makes them totally irresistible!