Skinny Two-Ingredient 110-Calorie Mozzarella Cheese Sticks

The words skinny and cheese sticks normally don’t go together.

Except here they do because these cheese sticks are only 110 calories each.

Skinny Two-Ingredient 110-Calorie Mozzarella Cheese Sticks - Comfort food goes skinny so you can still indulge without the bulge! And so fast & easy to make!

Rather than being fried, they’re baked, and yes, there’s only two ingredients. Eggroll wrappers and low-fat mozzarella string cheese.

This is hardly even a ‘recipe’ because it’s so fast and easy. Just roll up your string cheese in a wrapper and bake for about 15 minutes.

Eggroll (or wonton) wrappers are usually kept in the refrigerated area of the produce department of most grocery stores.

You’re looking for wrappers with flour as the first ingredient, not to be confused with shelf-stable rice paper wrappers, for making fresh spring rolls, usually found in the ethic foods aisle on a shelf.

The brand I used has 170 calories for 3 wrappers, or about 56 calories each.

The cheese sticks I used have 50 calories each, so we’re at 106 calories.

Optionally, to help them brown up and get a bit crisper, spray the wrappers with a fine misting of olive oil. Just a teeny tiny bit.

Olive oil cooking spray or something like the Misto Olive Oil Sprayer work great, and you can keep the calories and fat way down with either option. Alternatively, brush them very judiciously with olive oil. You don’t want to submerge these skinny sticks with an oil slick and defeat the purpose.

I’m a dip fanatic and I always need a extra. Here I used marinara sauce. It’s really just pulverized tomatoes so it isn’t a caloric lead balloon, especially when I can eat a quarter cup per stick.

For built in portion control, prepare only as many sticks as you need at once, even if that’s only 1 or 2. The extra cheese and eggroll wrappers will keep for weeks in the fridge so you can always make more later on.

They’re crispy on the outside, soft and gooey on the inside. It’s impossible to say no to luscious melted cheese.

They make a convenient after school snack for kids or a satisfying midnight snack for mommies. Or a perfect game day snack for all the Superbowl fans. Something lighter can’t hurt.

Comfort food, with a skinny twist, so you can still indulge without the bulge.

And infinitely more satisfying than those storebought 100-calorie snack packs. No comparison.

Print Print Recipe

Skinny Two-Ingredient 110-Calorie Mozzarella Cheese Sticks

The mozzarella sticks are fast and easy to make. Just roll up string cheese in an eggroll wrapper and bake. The wrappers are sold in the refrigerated area of the produce department of most grocery stores and you're looking for flour-based wrappers, not rice paper wrappers. If portion control is an issue, then prepare only as many sticks as you need at once. They make a convenient after school snack for kids or a satisfying midnight snack for parents. They're crispy on the outside, soft and gooey on the inside. Comfort food, with a skinny twist, so you can still indulge without the bulge.

Yield: makes 1 stick, double, quadruple, etc. as desired

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: about 15 to 18 minutes

Total Time: about 25 minutes

Ingredients:

1 eggroll (or wonton) wrapper (56 calories)
1 low-fat mozzarella sting cheese stick (50 calories)
olive oil cooking sprayMisto-sprayed olive oil, or brushed-on olive oil, optional (nominal calories)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400F.  Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or spray with cooking spray; set aside.
  2. Place cheese stick about 1 inch from the margin of the wrapper, fold the sides in, and roll up as tightly as possible. Place the bundle seam side down on baking tray.
  3. Optionally, very lightly spray or brush with olive oil.
  4. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes and remove tray from oven.
  5. Optionally, spray/brush with additional olive oil and flip stick to ensure it browns evenly on both sides.
  6. Return to oven and bake for about 5 to 8 additional minutes, or until golden brown or done to taste. Of the 8 sticks I made, 1 stick had cheese burst through the center of the wrapper, a little 'explosion' from the internal pressure as the temperature rose and the cheese melted. Keep an eye on your sticks in the final moments of baking, and if you notice any leaking or bursting, remove from oven immediately.
  7. Sticks are best warm and fresh; serve immediately. I served with marinara sauce; use your favorite dipping sauce or none at all.

Related Recipes

Baked Triple Cheese and Salsa Tortilla Chip Dip – Loaded with 3 kinds of cheese & baked to browned, bubbly, golden perfection

Baked Triple Cheese & Salsa Tortilla Chip Dip - Loaded with 3 kinds of cheese & baked to browned, bubbly, golden perfection! Always a hit at parties & great for Superbowl! Easy recipe at averiecooks.com

Creamy Baked Double Cheese and Onion Dip (gluten-free) – One of my favorite dips and I used to think I hated onions. Stir it together in one bowl in minutes and bake for cheesy comfort food

Creamy Baked Double Cheese and Sweet Onion Dip - Cheesy, comforting & easy dip that everyone loves! Recipe at averiecooks.com

Macaroni and Cheese Baked Cheese Balls - A perfect use for the leftover macaroni that gets cold and stiff in your refrigerator. Bread it, bake it, devour it

Loaded Baked Tater Tot Dip –  Favorite baked potato fixings baked together in a dip

Double Melted Cheese and Red Pepper Dip (GF) – aka Queso Dip or Ro-Tel Dip – Comes together in five minutes in the microwave. Creamy, cheesy, with just a bit of heat

Double Melted Cheese and Red Pepper Dip (GF

Chips and Cheese Chili Casserole (vegetarian/vegan, GF) – Chips are baked right into this easy and cheesy filling casserole. A hit with kids, busy moms, and football fans alike

Baked Parsnip Fries with Creamy Balsamic Reduction Dip (vegan, GF) – Healthier than fries made from potatoes and baked until they’re nicely crispy

Baked Parsnip Fries with Creamy Balsamic Reduction Dip (vegan, GF) - A healthier way to make fries instead of using white potatoes. These are baked so you can have extra!  Easy recipe at averiecooks.com

Cheesy Taco Casserole (gluten-free, vegetarian/vegan) – Like tacos, but baked into casserole form, complete with rice and beans. Makes planned leftovers that can be frozen for those nights you need a shortcut

Mango Basil Personal-Sized Tortilla Pizzas (GF)

81 Responses to “Skinny Two-Ingredient 110-Calorie Mozzarella Cheese Sticks”

Ellen — January 20, 2014 at 1:43 am

You are so right. It IS impossible to say no to luscious melty cheese. Nice that that cheese can be a wee bit on the healthier side!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 20th, 2014 at 4:56 am

I mean who CAN say no to gooey melty cheese in your face, right!

Belinda@themooblushbaker — January 20, 2014 at 1:45 am

I love this! Such a different way to achieve crunchy oozy goodness with out the work. I am not a diet person, in fact I have a diet of child but I would down these in instant because they look that moreish!
    Simple divine Averie, you come to save the world from boring ” low fat/diet recipes”

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 20th, 2014 at 4:55 am

save the world from boring ” low fat/diet recipes” <— thank you! And you are so right. There are so many BORING, bland, tasteless, blah lite options out there, that I’d rather just eat air than eat some of the crap that people try to pass off as ‘good tasting’. Meh, not so much.

And ‘the diet of child’… LOL

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — January 20, 2014 at 1:49 am

Averie, I love this! This was one of my favorite snacks as a kid, except of course we made the full fat version (deep fried with full fat cheese). I recently had some, and now will definitely be making them this way!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 20th, 2014 at 4:54 am

Ok if you try them, LMK! And yes, the full fat, deep fried ones are great. If you have a child’s metabolism. After that, well, you know :)

movita beaucoup — January 20, 2014 at 2:55 am

This would be a perfect Super Bowl snack. Mostly because I could forget that I’m stuck watching the Super Bowl and focus on cheese instead.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 20th, 2014 at 4:54 am

Im so not a Superbowl watcher. I have no idea who’s in it, don’t care, I go to the mall, and spend a ton of money. It’s PERFECT! You’d be surprised how PACKED the mall is too. So many ladies have my idea, too, I think :)

Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness — January 20, 2014 at 3:21 am

lovelovelove the idea of using an eggroll wrapper! I am dying over that melty cheese, paired with the crunchy (but healthy!) coating.
    I am not really a super bowl watcher, buuuuut I’ll eat these for my dinner anyway!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 20th, 2014 at 4:53 am

Im so not a Superbowl watcher either. I have no idea who’s in it, don’t care, I try to spend as much money as I possibly can that day at the mall. I mean, I take my job seriously :)

Paula — January 20, 2014 at 4:13 am

These are my kind of cheese sticks! I haven’t used wonton wrappers in ages–what a great idea (and so much healthier and easier than the battered, deep fried version). Jon would love these and appreciate the skinny factor as well. And yes, they are the perfect accompaniment to a bowl of marinara!! I made a tortilla pizza yesterday with my homemade marinara and kept spooning more into a ramekin to eat while the pizza baked.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 20th, 2014 at 4:52 am

Oh I just made something with 2 cups of marinara today! But based on my flow, the recipe won’t go live for probably a month. But gosh, it was savory, and it was good and I know you’ll like it when it rolls around :)

And that’s cool that both you AND Jon can appreciate the skinny factor. So many guys ‘don’t care’ but that mentality only lasts so long as about the early 30s I think when metabolism seems to slow down and turn off! I’m jealz of your homemade marinara. I need to make some!

Madison — January 20, 2014 at 4:33 am

YES–skinny and cheeeeesy goodness in 1 wrapper. Sign me up!

Jenny Flake — January 20, 2014 at 5:28 am

What a fun idea for cheese sticks! Love it Averie!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 20th, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Thanks, Jenny! I bet your boys would take down a whole tray in very short order :)

Melanie @ Carmel Moments — January 20, 2014 at 5:58 am

Brilliant idea Averie! Some of the simplest things can often be the best. Love it!

kelley {mountain mama cooks} — January 20, 2014 at 6:12 am

This just means I can eat 12, right? SO making these for Super Bowl in a few weeks!

Tieghan Gerard — January 20, 2014 at 6:24 am

These look so good! Oh my gosh. I love melty cheese! Pinned of course!

Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen — January 20, 2014 at 7:36 am

Theses would not last long around here at all! Boyfriend and I both love mozz sticks and I love the healthier and even simpler factor of these ones!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — January 20, 2014 at 7:59 am

You’re a genius!! This is fabulous. Gives me an excuse to eat string cheese, ha!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 20th, 2014 at 3:06 pm

I almost never buy string cheese. It seems so wasteful? All those single-serving sticks in all that packaging so Skylar was extra pleased when I had this recipe in the works :)

Sarah@WholeAndHeavenlyOven — January 20, 2014 at 8:02 am

Mind = Blown. These cheese sticks look out of this world, Averie! Awesome idea—I would have never thought to put my string cheese in egg roll wrappers! So trying this. Pinned!

Katy — January 20, 2014 at 8:55 am

This is such a smart idea! I can’t believe what an easy appetizer these are, pinned! It’s amazing how simple meals using very few ingredients are more often than not better than the complicated ones.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 20th, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Thanks for pinning & yes, simple is often the best!

Jasline @ Foodie Baker — January 20, 2014 at 8:56 am

Love this recipe, this is such an amazing and delicious idea, not to mention that it’s baked!

Katie — January 20, 2014 at 10:06 am

I have seen so many recipes for mozzarella sticks, but this is such a creative spin! I am one of the few who CAN actually say no to luscious melted cheese (never crave it, even when I could eat it) but even still, I remember LOVING mozz sticks growing up. Of course, ours were always the frozen and deep-fried kind. ;)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 20th, 2014 at 3:04 pm

I think cheese is the type of thing that once you actually stop eating it, you don’t miss it. But you have to get over that HUMP. And that can take awhile. It’s the casomorphin thing as we’ve discussed; truly addictive quality of dairy.

marla — January 20, 2014 at 10:26 am

Crunchy & cheesy? Sign me up!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — January 20, 2014 at 10:31 am

Love everything about these, except most of all? Only two ingredients! Deep fried, extra crispy mozzarella sticks were my favorite restaurant appetizer when I was little. I hated marinara sauce back then but now, I’m just like you. 1/4 cup per stick sounds about right. :) Love a healthier version of them.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 20th, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Yeah I was pretty pleased that these were not caloric ticking time bombs as most bar food can be! Back in the day it sure tasted great about 3am though :)

Happy Valley Chow — January 20, 2014 at 10:47 am

That looks fantabulous! Love cheese sticks, especially a healthier option like these. Great job Averie :)

annie @ chase that i love — January 20, 2014 at 11:01 am

Imagine me and cheese/ and cheese and me/ no matter if you slice or dice/ it had to be……..

What a great recipe for a cheese lover! These would be so fun to have with soup.

Shikha @ Shikha la mode — January 20, 2014 at 11:09 am

THIS . IS. BRILLIANT. I literally became 10x happier and I am 100% about to make these!!!!

Erin | The Emerging Foodie — January 20, 2014 at 11:52 am

Averie, this is brilliant! This would be perfect for the upcoming Super Bowl party my friends and I are having (we live in Seattle… go Seahakws!). Pinning and totally using in a couple weeks!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 20th, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Thanks for pinning & for wanting to make them!

Zayna [Miss Measurement] — January 20, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Mmmmm….Skinny Cheese sticks. You just made my day!

Emma @ Bake Then Eat — January 20, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Mmmm melty cheese and low calories as well bravo :D bring on the cheese!

Dina — January 20, 2014 at 5:29 pm

great idea!

Helen @ Scrummy Lane — January 20, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Mmm … wow I could just eat one (or three) of these about right now. I think I definitely would be one of those people who would have to make just a few or I’d eat the whole lot and cancel out the skinny factor for sure.
    Not sure we can get the string cheese thing so easily over in Europe, but I think I’d just chop up some regular mozzarella into strips. Thanks for the lovely easy idea!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 20th, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Cutting regular mozz into strips would be perfect!

sippitysup — January 20, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Is That possible? Hand me a calculator. XOGREG

Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen — January 20, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Brilliant…just brilliant!!

Alyssa @ My Sequined Life — January 20, 2014 at 8:00 pm

These may be only two ingredients but oh my goodness, your pictures make them look so much fancier, Averie! Love that they’re super simple. And I so agree with you about the dipping sauce – I’ll have a little mozzarella with my marinara, please. :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 20th, 2014 at 11:36 pm

I’ll have a little mozzarella with my marinara <— that is SO me. Or lettuce with my salad dressing. Cake with my frosting. etc etc….

Emily — January 20, 2014 at 8:50 pm

so yummy!!! Pinned… I love mozz sticks… going to have to try these for sure!!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — January 20, 2014 at 9:30 pm

This is the best idea ever, Averie!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — January 20, 2014 at 10:18 pm

How easy is this?! I love the baked version too. I fry mine and it’s always a hot mess, and then there’s that littering oil smell in the house all. day. long.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 20th, 2014 at 11:35 pm

The MAIN reason I dont fry things isn’t because I have a big opposition to the grease (I mean, yeah it’s bad, but whatever), but it’s the STENCH that lingers for AT LEAST 3 days. Nothing, nothing, nothing is worth a stinky house for that long!

Julie @ Table for Two — January 21, 2014 at 4:42 am

This would be way too dangerous to have around the house :) great idea, though, for party snacks and in general when the craving for cheese sticks arise!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 21st, 2014 at 4:59 am

I’ve been craving your zucchini chips ever since I saw a pin of them yesterday. Like a 2 day craving and the kale chips I have around aren’t quite right. I want yours :)

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — January 21, 2014 at 7:42 am

SOOOO SMART!!! eggroll wrappers are like the perfect alternative to fried stuff

Peggy — January 21, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Definitely gonna have to keep these in mind for Superbowl Sunday!

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — January 21, 2014 at 4:24 pm

I have SUCH a weakness for mozzarella cheese sticks, but I do not have the metabolism to handle those suckers. So clearly, I’m a little bit in love with these. I can’t wait to make them!

Hayley Parker — January 22, 2014 at 7:11 pm

My sister is going to love you forevvaaaah. What pizza & donuts are to me, mozzarella sticks are to her. SHE LOVES THEM and always seems to be in the mood for them ;) who can blame her? Fried cheese is awesome! But this skinnier version is MUCH more diet-friendly obvi and looks every bit as sinful and delish as the normally high-fat cousin. Love that they’re just two simple ingredients! SO easy. And I kinda hate you for linking up those mac and cheese bites because OH MY GOD, those were crazy good!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 22nd, 2014 at 9:17 pm

That’s right you did make those mac n cheese bites! And if your sis is a fan of cheese sticks, now you can just DIY! Which is you know, a little bit dangerous. But at least they’re skinny :)

Micheline — January 24, 2014 at 5:34 pm

THESE ARE AMAZING! What an awesome idea! I am all about the recipes with under 5 ingredients. I feel like people respond really well to them, at least I do for sure! And my goodness, who doesn’t respond to melty cheese in a crunchy wrapper?

Micheline

Carole — January 25, 2014 at 7:18 am

Oh, man, do these ever look fantastic! I love wonton wrappers – so crunchy when baked or fried. Please that ooey, gooey cheese – what’s not to love? Anyway, thanks for another great idea! I’m making these for my next party and am pinning it now!

laramealor.com — January 27, 2014 at 11:31 am

What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing!

laramealor.com — January 27, 2014 at 11:31 am

What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing!

Nutmeg Nanny — February 1, 2014 at 9:05 am

Oh jeez, this is such a smart simple idea! I love it :)

Julie — February 1, 2014 at 4:06 pm

This is a great idea and looks delicious but I wish you and other bloggers would source your recipes. This is not a new idea and a quick google shows that many other bloggers have done this already. It bums me out that nobody thinks it’s important anymore to acknowledge that they weren’t the first to think of something.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — February 1st, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I honestly had only ever seen them fried, not baked. If I use someone else’s idea *that I knew of* I source/cite them. I don’t make a habit of checking google for every single recipe that pops into my head beforehand to see if someone else made it or something close to it. If I have the idea, I roll with it. If I saw it somewhere else, I cite it.

Desiree Bennett — February 3, 2014 at 8:47 am

I made these last night so we could have some healthy Super Bowl snacks – the only wonton wrappers I could find were small, so I had to cut my cheese sticks in half. I checked on them about halfway through their cooking cycle & the cheese had completely oozed out! :( any tips? They were still yummy, but not as cheesy as I wanted…

• Averie Sunshine replied: — February 3rd, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Sounds like your wonton wrappers were maybe a little on the skimpy side. I was sure to really bundle mine up, wrapping them like logs, around and around, with the wrapper. Because if the wrapper isn’t doubled/tripled up, due to the natural laws of expansion when something is heated, the cheese will come out. So just make sure they’re very well wrapped next time. That would be my tip. Even with being very well-wrapped, sometimes I’ll have a leaker. It happens. You could fry them. That will curtail it; but that also adds a pound of grease… :)

laramealor.com — February 7, 2014 at 9:26 am

made these they are great!! Thanks again for sharing this recipe.

Deb — February 22, 2014 at 7:38 pm

I just made these. Your look so good. Mine, not so much. The cheese oozed out on the pan, so the wrapper was almost empty when I got them out. I used a timer so not sure why they did that. But they were super easy to do and, yeah, I ate them anyway. So, I will try again. Less heat and same time, or same heat and less time?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — February 23rd, 2014 at 9:47 am

I’m not sure why yours oozed, it’s hard to say. Could be the cheese, the brand of wrappers, the heat, or the rolling technique. I would try to make really tight bundles next time and I have a feeling that will help!

Ann — March 1, 2014 at 9:51 am

I was wondering if you could use the rice paper instead of the wonton wrapper? I am looking for gluten free for family/friends.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — March 1st, 2014 at 12:50 pm

I think rice paper would be really thin, you’d have to use a few to wrap them up or the cheese will try to ‘explode’ when it gets warm and expands. You have nothing to lose but trying!

Doreene — September 15, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Not sure how these are ‘skinny’. Nobody would make these and then just eat one, and at 110 calories that will add up fast. Granted, they are not as unhealthy as fried, but ‘skinny’ they are not.

Natasha+of+Natashaskitchen.com — November 17, 2014 at 11:45 am

Are they still considered “skinny” if I eat 10 of them? Technically half are “for the baby” lol. Pinning :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 17th, 2014 at 1:58 pm

You look amazing BTW! I cannot believe you’re cooking and blogging while pregnant…I was just wayyyy too tired :) Thanks for the pin, as always!