Sweet Potato, Corn, and Black Bean Enchiladas

These enchiladas are pure comfort food. But on the healthier side.

Sweet Potato, Corn & Black Bean Enchiladas (vegetarian) - Healthier comfort food that everyone will love! Fast, easy & tastes amazing!

They’re satisfying, hearty, and you’ll never miss the meat. My family didn’t even realize they were vegetarian until I told them.

And to keep the enchiladas vegan, just swap the cheese for vegan cheese.

The enchiladas are fast, easy, and ready in less than an hour. You can’t beat that.

To make the filling, simply combine a cooked and diced sweet potato with your favorite corn and bean salsa, and shredded cheese. Top with sauce, more cheese, and you’re ready to bake.

The sweet potatoes add bulk, body, and provide a meat-like heft to the enchiladas, minus the meat. The subtle sweetness is the perfect complement to the tangy sauce and spicier corn and beans.

I used Trader Joe’s Cowboy Caviar, but most any chunky, corn-heavy or bean-heavy salsa will work. You can use corn and beans, but I prefer salsa because everything is already cooked, seasoned, and there’s less steps.

It’s a comfort food party in your mouth with every bite.

It’s a great recipe for events where there’s a mixed crowd and at least one vegetarian or vegan in the group. Finally, a vegetarian dinner option that’s not an iceberg lettuce salad or fettucine alfredo.

I put a leftover enchilada in my daughter’s lunch, and while she rarely comes home and exclaims how great her lunch was (what kid does?), she did after these.

She asked when I’m making them again.

Print Print Save Save

Sweet Potato, Corn, and Black Bean Enchiladas (vegetarian)

These enchiladas are pure (healthier) comfort food. Warm sweet potatoes, slightly spicy corn and beans, all smothered in cheese and red sauce. They’re satisfying, hearty, and you’ll never miss the meat. They're vegetarian and to keep vegan, just swap the cheese for vegan cheese. The sweet potatoes add bulk, body, and provide a meat-like heft to the enchiladas, minus the meat. I used Trader Joe’s Cowboy Caviar, but most any chunky, corn-heavy or bean-heavy salsa will work, or use cooked and seasoned corn and beans. There’s so much texture in every bite. Juicy corn, firm black beans, gooey cheese, drippy sauce, and chewy enchilada shells. It’s a comfort food party in your mouth with every bite. The recipe is easily doubled for larger families, planned leftovers, or parties.

Yield: 6 to 8 enchiladas

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: about 30 minutes, oven

Total Time: about 1 hour

Ingredients:

1 large/extra large sweet potato, cooked, peeled, and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup corn and black bean salsa (I used Trader Joe’s Cowboy Caviar Salsa, use your favorite salsa; or use cooked and seasoned corn and beans)
2 to 2 1/2 cups shredded cheese, divided (I used a Mexican blend; use vegan cheese to keep vegan)
2 cups red enchilada sauce, divided (I used Trader Joe's; use storebought or homemade)
6 to 8 yellow or white corn tortilla shells
finely diced red peppers or tomatoes, optional for garnishing
cilatntro, optional for garnishing

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F and spray an 8x10-inch baking dish or similar with cooking spray; set aside.
  2. Place a scrubbed and fork-pierced sweet potato in the microwave and cook on high power for about 10 minutes, or until done and fork tender. Potato can be cooked in the oven at 400F for about 45 to 60 minutes if preferred.
  3. Remove potato from microwave, slice lengthwise, and the skin should slip off easily; discard skin.
  4. Dice potato into 1/2-inch cubes and place cubes into a large bowl.
  5. To the bowl, add the salsa, about 1 1/2 cups cheese (measure it loosely packed in the cup), and gently stir to combine; set filling aside.
  6. Evenly add about 1 cup enchilada sauce to the bottom of the prepared baking dish; set aside.
  7. Place about 1/3 cup filling in a tortilla shell, roll up, and place seam side down in prepared dish; repeat with additional shells until all filling mixture is gone.
  8. Evenly pour remaining 1 cup enchilada sauce over the enchiladas.
  9. Evenly top with remaining 1 cup cheese.
  10. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
  11. Optionally garnish with red peppers, cilantro, and serve immediately. Enchiladas are best warm and fresh, but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.

Related Recipes

Cheese, Black Beans, and Corn-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Avocado Crema (vegan, GF) - A healthy meal that's easy, ready in 15 minutes, satisfying & doesn't taste like health food!

Baked Chipotle Sweet Potato and Zucchini Fritters (vegetarian/vegan, GF) –  You don’t need gobs of oil for these healthy fritters

Baked Chipotle Sweet Potato and Zucchini Fritters

Lightened Up Corn and Bean Quesadillas with Avocado-Mango-Chipotle Salsa  - (vegetarian/vegan, GF)

Lightened Up Corn and Bean Quesadillas with Avocado-Mango-Chipotle Salsa (vegetarian/vegan option) - You don't have to derail your diet to enjoy hearty & satisfying comfort food! This version is only about 300 calories & ready in 15 minutes!

Skinny Two-Ingredient 110-Calorie Mozzarella Cheese Sticks - Comfort food goes skinny so you can still indulge without the bulge! And so fast & easy to make

Skinny Two-Ingredient 110-Calorie Mozzarella Cheese Sticks - Comfort food goes skinny so you can still indulge without the bulge! And so fast & easy to make!

Loaded BBQ Chicken Nugget Nachos (with vegan option)

Loaded BBQ Chicken Nugget Nachos (with vegan/GF options) - Chicken nuggets coated in BBQ sauce on top of cheesy nachos. Perfect party food!

Baked Triple Cheese and Salsa Tortilla Chip Dip

Baked Triple Cheese & Salsa Tortilla Chip Dip - Loaded with 3 kinds of cheese & baked to browned, bubbly, golden perfection! Always a hit at parties & great for Superbowl! Easy recipe at averiecooks.com

Avocado, Cream Cheese, and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastries - One of my most popular recipes in 2012 and 2013

Spicy Baked Black Beans with Mixed Vegetables (vegan, GF)

Lightened Up Cheesy Quinoa Lasagna Bake - (vegetarian, GF)

Lightened Up Cheesy Quinoa Lasagna Bake (vegetarian/vegan, GF) - This meatless & noodle-less lasagna is hearty, comforting & healthier so you can enjoy your favorite comfort food without worry!

71 Responses to “Sweet Potato, Corn, and Black Bean Enchiladas”

Katie | Healthy Seasonal Recipes — June 12, 2014 at 8:16 am

This is a great vegetarian recipe, and so simple! Great photos (as always!)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 12th, 2014 at 9:57 am

Thanks, Katie, and for the tweet too!

Kathi @ Deliciously Yum! — June 12, 2014 at 8:22 am

How could anyone say no to a comfort food party in your mouth?! I have not been this excited about trying a new recipe in a while… my mouth is watering just looking at your stunning pictures, Averie! Pinned, of course :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 12th, 2014 at 9:57 am

Your pics are pretty darn amazing – I see your stuff all over! :) Thanks for pinning!

Lindsay Ann @ Lindasy Ann Bakes — June 12, 2014 at 8:41 am

These sound like cheesey veg heaven! Love this dinner idea, might have to make a trip to the grocery store for tonight!!!

Laura @ Raise Your Garden — June 12, 2014 at 9:01 am

Oh my, you have all the winners here. Sweet potato. Corn. Black beans. Yum!

I laughed at your daughters comments, haha. My 2-year-old & 4-year-old are the first to complain if dinner is not good! And we do not do alternate dinners for our kids (mac n cheese or chicken nuggets!)

They eat what we eat and they are gonna love this, can already tell. No leftovers tomorrow for dad though, gotta save them for the kids!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 12th, 2014 at 9:54 am

I never make separate food either. Thankfully my daughter is an adventurous eater and will seriously eat just about anything I put in front of her. I think that’s because I always have done that…and bc she’s recipe tested her way with me through 2 cookbooks and 5+ years of daily blog recipes :)

CakePants — June 12, 2014 at 9:07 am

These look absolutely scrumptious – I love using sweet potatoes in Mexican dishes! My boyfriend is the designated enchilada-maker of the two of us, so I’ll have to pass this recipe along to him!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 12th, 2014 at 9:53 am

Awesome – hope you enjoy them if you try the recipe!

bev @ bevcooks.com — June 12, 2014 at 9:12 am

This is SERIOUSLY my thang. I’m all over it!

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! — June 12, 2014 at 9:15 am

I have been making a lot of recipes lately with the sweet potato and black bean combo – love it! I KNOW the hubs and I would love these enchiladas! They look sooo good.

Rachael | Spache the Spatula — June 12, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Neeeeed these enchiladas in my life! Honestly, sweet potato and butternut squash enchiladas are a serious weakness of mine. Totally pinned!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — June 12, 2014 at 1:14 pm

I love enchiladas, these look killer! Pinned!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — June 12, 2014 at 3:29 pm

These are totally up my alley! Awesome recipe!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — June 12, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Seriously, I need to come live with you. I want this for dinner NOW. Pinned!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 13th, 2014 at 12:38 am

God I wish you could! I’d be happy to have another mouth to donate food to!

Polly @ Tasty Food Project — June 12, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Yum! I like how you used sweet potato in this recipe! That’s one of my favorite ingredients. This looks so delicious!

Emily @ Life on Food — June 12, 2014 at 5:01 pm

It always amazes me that sweet potatoes and black beans go so well together. I love this meal!!

Happy Valley Chow — June 12, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Yeah those look amazing! Great job Averie :)

Jennie @themessybakerblog — June 12, 2014 at 5:32 pm

This sounds stingy, but I want to runaway with that gorgeous pan of enchiladas and not share a single one. Pinned.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 13th, 2014 at 12:36 am

LOL I feel the same way when I see cookies :)

caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — June 12, 2014 at 5:33 pm

yuuuuum! i love a good enchilada!

Ashton — June 12, 2014 at 6:09 pm

oh my gosh Averie! These look UNREAL. I mean, the lighting and photography are spot on, as always. And I swear I can just taste these through the screen!!! You’ve totally turned me on to sweet potatoes, and they are one of my fave comfort foods now! These look crazy good and will be on our menu for next week! pinned!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 13th, 2014 at 12:35 am

I (of all people!) turned you on to sweet potatoes? Surprising that I didn’t turn you onto say….frosting or something like that :) But seriously that’s awesome and if you try these, LMK. Thanks for pinning and for the sweet compliments about my images. Totally appreciated!

Denise @ Sweet Peas & Saffron — June 12, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Looks like the perfect vegetarian dinner! Love enchiladas, and yours look amazing :)

ami@naivecookcooks — June 12, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Averie, I am making these coming weekend!! So colorful and tasty looking!

Paula — June 12, 2014 at 7:52 pm

These look fantastic–can’t wait to try them for dinner tomorrow night. I know they’ll taste as good as they look–thanks for a great menu idea!!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 13th, 2014 at 12:31 am

Oh I had a feeling you’d make these! Ok cool! LMK what you think!

• Paula replied: — June 13th, 2014 at 3:35 pm

These are every bit as good as they look!! Easy and very tasty–the sweet potato is a great addition. I made 12 so we have leftovers….and Jon is digging out another one as I type this. I need to make sure I buy several jars of T’S cowboy caviar..all I have left is their pineapple salsa.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 13th, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Thanks for making these, Paula, less than 24 hours after the post went live – I can always count on you :) Glad you loved them and that Jon is digging another one out right now! While you’re at it with the Cowboy Caviar, buy another one called Tomato-Less Corn Salsa. It’s just corn, tiny bit of onions, no tomatoes. Really good and I have a recipe coming up with that one too – ha! I know you don’t live 5 mins from 3 different TJ’s like I do so you have to plan ahead. Unlike me who goes literally 5x a week. Whoops.

marcie — June 12, 2014 at 8:22 pm

These look like some of the best enchiladas ever, and I can guarantee I wouldn’t miss the meat!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 13th, 2014 at 12:31 am

Glad you feel that way – me too :)

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — June 12, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Love love love this! What a fabulous vegetarian dish, Averie! Pinned!

Julia | JuliasAlbum.com — June 12, 2014 at 9:58 pm

I love everything about this recipe: sweet potatoes, black beans, tortillas, enchilada sauce – yumminess all around! Love enchiladas without meat! :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 13th, 2014 at 12:29 am

Thanks for always pinning my stuff, too :)

Lizthechef — June 12, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Just off the plane from Kauai – did I miss your birthday?! If so, have/had a lovely day – you deserve a special celebration! XO Liz

Ellen — June 12, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Potatoes as a filling-grand! I haven’t done that…yet:)
    I did however recently make enchiladas and use hard-boiled egg in the filling which I highly recommend!

lisatberry — June 13, 2014 at 4:36 am

Your photos are insane…love the enchiladas against the white dish looks like a commercial…I’m going to TJs today to find that salsa..I’ve never tried it as I’m pretty addicted to their pineapple salsa but I have to make these enchiladas they look so good.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 13th, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Oh their pineapple salsa is good too! This one is great because it adds a bit of sweetness and a tiny bit of heat. Like heat that’s a good amount for kids :) But if you like something stronger, go with your fave. It would also be good with the pineapple salsa – I love that stuff :) If you try these, or even the salsa, LMK what you think! And thanks for the photography compliments. Things were working out well that day :)

• lisatberry replied: — June 14th, 2014 at 7:20 am

I made these last night following your recipe and using the Cowboy Caviar which I could eat straight from the jar…I have a thing for salsas…but anyways the enchiladas were a huge hit..and with a recent mad cow recall at whole foods in CT I was greatful for a vegetarian meal…thanks Averie!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 14th, 2014 at 8:01 am

Thanks for trying these, Lisa, and glad there was no chance of Mad Cow with this recipe :) And yes to just eating Cowboy Caviar from the jar. I’ve been known to :) I love salsas too! So glad you enjoyed your meal!

Chloe — June 13, 2014 at 6:23 am

These look amazing!

Kelly - LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE — June 13, 2014 at 7:01 am

Hi Averie! Totally saw this all over my pinterest yesterday, so I HAD to stop by and check it out. The sweet potato just makes this enchilada recipe plus all that sauce. Nothing worse than a dry enchilada haha! Enchiladas is one of my favorite mexican dishes…and I seeing this reminds me I haven’t made them in forever! Guess I have to change that real soon! Beautiful pictures :D Thanks for sharing, pinned for later!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 13th, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Thanks for stopping by, for pinning, and for the great comment! I appreciate all your kind words :)

Olivia - Primavera Kitchen — June 13, 2014 at 7:47 am

Absolutely AH-mazing!! Love it. I’ve gotta make it soon ;-)

Jessica @ Portuguese Girl Cooks — June 13, 2014 at 10:32 am

These look absolutely delicious and I love that they are vegetarian! I need to make these soon!

Annie @Maebells — June 13, 2014 at 11:16 am

I love sweet potatoes in savory dishes, in brings out such a unique flavor. Can’t wait to try this!

Melanie | Melanie Makes — June 13, 2014 at 11:30 am

Sweet potatoes + black beans are one of my all time favorite flavor combos. I have no doubt these are amazing and your photos are simply stunning as usual!

Kate @ Diethood — June 13, 2014 at 12:23 pm

…and Averie wins it again!! Awesome recipe… I am going to dream about that filling!

Meredith — June 13, 2014 at 5:10 pm

I could use a big plate of these right now!

Tiffany@CremedelaCrumb — June 22, 2014 at 1:59 pm

In love with everything about this recipe Averie!! Definitely a must-try!!! :)

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking — June 23, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Your daughter, who has taste tested just about every blog and cookbook recipe, asked when you were making these again? That’s got to be the biggest compliment a mom, especially one as talented in the kitchen as you, could ever ask for! So happy for and proud of you! :) My favorite part of enchiladas has always been the sauce. My guy usually leaves some extra on his plate, so I always offer to clear the table and sneak the last few drops in the kitchen when he isn’t looking. But I doubt he minds much!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 24th, 2014 at 1:08 pm

It’s nice that it’s not just cookies she asks me to re-make :)

• Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking replied: — June 24th, 2014 at 2:33 pm

SO true!! I’m sure your freezer is already packed with cookies, so remaking savory stuff is probably a dream come true. :)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — June 26, 2014 at 1:19 am

You know this is my kind of food! I love enchiladas – I could probably live off of them. And you just captured these images so perfectly. If only I could reach into the screen and grab that baking dish!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 26th, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Considering you, the queen of savory foods and gorgeous images, wants to reach through the screen, I will take that as a high compliment :)

Kathleen at Middletini — June 27, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I’m assembling these on Sunday for dinner on Monday – thanks!

Janis — July 1, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Looks delicious, but we try to eat vegan without fat sources like the vegan cheese. Any suggestions for a cheese replacement?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 1st, 2014 at 1:17 pm

It’s hard to make enchiladas without cheese but you could maybe try avocado, beans, or something that’s suitable for your needs. Enjoy!

Bethany — July 14, 2014 at 9:41 am

Made these last night and they were great!! I was skeptical for some reason of the Cowboy Caviar, but it’s not as sweet as I thought, it actually has great flavor and is a bit spicy. Very easy recipe that made some leftovers for the week! Thanks!