Watermelon Raspberry Slushies

I don’t know what it is about watermelon that I love so much, but every summer I eat my weight in it.

I figured it was about time to start drinking it, too.

Watermelon Raspberry Slushies - Summertime in a glass! Cool, refreshing, and you'll want a refill before you know it!

The refreshing slushies combine two of my favorite summer fruits, watermelon and raspberries.

A bit of lime juice adds a zingy twist. Tart lime juice in contrast with sweet fruit is a nice pairing.

I add raspberry-pomegranate vodka and watermelon schnapps to my slushies, but you can keep them virgin if you’d like. I’d prefer not to.

In advance of blending the drinks, dice and freeze the watermelon for an hour and if you’re using fresh raspberries rather than frozen (I use frozen and save fresh for eating), freeze them, too. That way you’re blending nearly-frozen fruit so you don’t need to add ice which would water down the slushies.

This is summer in a glass.

Drinking watermelon and berries and slurping up every last drop.

The slushies go down fast, easy, and you’ll want a refill before you know it.

It’s definitely 5 o’clock somewhere.

Print Print Recipe

Watermelon Raspberry Slushies

The refreshing slushies combine two of my favorite summer fruits, watermelon and raspberries, and the lime juice adds a zingy twist. I add raspberry-pomegranate vodka and watermelon schnapps, but you can keep them virgin. Freeze the fruit for 1 hour before blending it so you don't need to add ice which would water down the slushies. The slushies are summertime in a glass. They go down fast, easy, and you'll want a refill before you know it.

Yield: 2 generous drinks, 12-14 ounces each

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, to freeze fruit prior to blending

Ingredients:

3 cups diced watermelon, deseeded (freeze before blending for 1 hour)
2 cups raspberries (freeze before blending for 1 hour)
2 shots raspberry pomegranate vodka (or your favorite flavored or unflavored vodka), optional
2 shots raspberry or watermelon schnapps, optional
juice of 1 lime, or to taste
sweetener, optional and to taste (I recommend a liquid sweetener like agave, simple syrup, or a zero-calorie sweetener; granulated sugar may not dissolve entirely)

Directions:

1. To the canister of a blender or food processor, add all ingredients and blend on high speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
  2. Divide mixture between two glasses and optionally garnish with fruit. Serve immediately. Extra slushie mixture can be kept in the freezer for up to 1 month by placing freezer-safe glasses inside a large ziplock bag to avoid freezer smells; allow to thaw for about 45 minutes before stirring and serving. If adding alcohol, recipe is intended for those for whom alcohol use is legal and appropriate. Always drink responsibly.

Related Recipes

Tropical Peach Pineapple Slushies

Tropical Peach Pineapple Slushies - Plenty of booze & no added sugar, a win-win! Cool, refreshing & they go down so easily!

Lightened-Up Raspberry Coconut Punch

Lightened-Up Raspberry Coconut Punch - Sweet, tangy, refreshing and isn't a caloric lead balloon! But don't worry, it still packs a punch!

Malibu Sunset

Malibu Sunset from Aruba - Fun, Fruity, Easy Drink Recipe & Island Pics at averiecooks.com Peach Mango Pineapple White Sangria

Peach Mango Pineapple White Sangria - Takes minutes to make & everyone loves it! A lighter & fresher alternative to red sangria! Make it for your next party!

Rum Runner

Rum Runner - Smooth, refreshing & after a few sips you'll feel like you're on a tropical vacation! They go down so easily!

Mango Coconut Water Tropical Martini

Mango Coconut Water Tropical Martini (only 100 calories) averiecooks.com

The Best Homemade Margaritas: All-Natural, 3-Ingredients

The Best Homemade Margaritas: All-Natural, 3-Ingredients - No sugar so you can sip worry-free! They go down way too easily!

Pineapple Banana & Coconut Cream Smoothie (vegan, GF) – Tastes like a virgin pina colada. Sweet, creamy, refreshing & healthy. No need to add sugar since the fruit is sweet enough

Pineapple Banana & Coconut Cream Smoothie (vegan, GF) -  Tastes like a virgin pina colada. Sweet, creamy, refreshing & healthy! No need to add sugar since the fruit is sweet enough.

Cherry Revitalizer Smoothie

Cherry Revitalizer Smoothie (vegan, GF) - Gives you energy and leaves you feeling refreshed and revitalized!

Skinny Pina Colada Smoothie (vegan, gluten-free) – Under 100 Calories

Skinny Pina Colada Smoothie (vegan, gluten-free) - Under 100 Calories - Easy Recipe at averiecooks.com

69 Responses to “Watermelon Raspberry Slushies”

lisatberry — July 24, 2014 at 2:42 am

It was in the high 90s yesterday and so humid…I could have drank 10 of these. They look so cool and refreshing without being loaded with sugar like a coolatta. Definitely picking up some watermelon today as the weather is predicted to be a repeat of yesterday.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 24th, 2014 at 2:48 am

It’s hot for San Diego, too. Mid 80s and low 90s inland. I love it like this :) but everyone else is complaining. But these totally hit the spot and without being sugar-bombs, either, like you said :)

Paula — July 24, 2014 at 3:36 am

These look so refreshing! I have only had watermelon in the form of chunks this season–tasty but not too creative! I think my stepdaughter would really like these ( she just turned 21 last month). She seems to prefer tart fruity rather than sweet fruity.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 24th, 2014 at 3:53 am

Happy bday to your step daughter! And tart fruity rather than sweet fruity is exactly what these are. Unless you go wild with the agave or sweetener but the lime juice is so nice and refreshing!

Maryea {happy healthy mama} — July 24, 2014 at 3:46 am

Oh Averie this recipe is calling my name! The watermelons have been so giant this year–usually we have no trouble plowing through but I happen to have a huge half sitting in my fridge. You answered my question as to how to finish it! It will be going in the freezer and we’ll be enjoying these soon! I guess I’ll do half a batch of virgin for the kiddos. ;-)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 24th, 2014 at 3:52 am

Glad it’s going to come in handy, like…right now :) And a half batch virgin and a half batch otherwise, you go mama! :) ENJOY!

Tom @ Raise Your Garden — July 24, 2014 at 3:52 am

I love slushies and so do my kid’s. The problem is they aren’t healthy so mom doesn’t give us permission to hit the local 7-11 too often. Now we have a solution to the problem. The watermellon looks like a great addition.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 24th, 2014 at 4:26 am

I am very familiar with the 7-11 slushies. I live 2 blocks from one. And 10 blocks from another one…and it goes on and on. These are wayyyyy healthier! Enjoy :)

Shobelyn — July 24, 2014 at 4:10 am

This recipe will give variation and break from me smoothie – ing my melons . Thank you .

Bri | Bites of Bri — July 24, 2014 at 4:11 am

Averie, these are the prettiest slushies and they look like they have tons of flavor unlike when you get them and they’re too icy. I especially like that these are great for adults :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 24th, 2014 at 4:25 am

Oh I hate that too-icy phenomenon, where you take one sip and all the juice is gone and it’s ice, no, nothing like that here!

Danielle @ Chits and Chats and Chocolate — July 24, 2014 at 4:51 am

Mmm, every year I think I eat my weight in watermelon, too! This looks so refreshing!

Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice — July 24, 2014 at 5:05 am

This is definitely summer in a glass, Averie! The colors of this drink are gorgeous! Such a fun recipe!

Jennie @themessybakerblog — July 24, 2014 at 5:53 am

You can’t beat a boozy slushie on a hot day. Love the fruit combo. Pinned.

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — July 24, 2014 at 7:51 am

How refreshing!

Kris — July 24, 2014 at 8:31 am

Mmm, I have cubed watermelon sitting in my fridge right now, waiting to be used. No raspberries, though … I might sub in some blueberries or strawberries instead–love it when treats are healthy, too!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 24th, 2014 at 10:42 am

They’d be great with other berries – mix and match, can’t go wrong!

Polly @ Tasty Food Project — July 24, 2014 at 8:51 am

I love eating watermelon! It’s so refreshing in the summertime! I loved slushies as a kid but I’m sure the ones I had were filled with chemicals!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 24th, 2014 at 10:41 am

Mine too and I still have those kind every now and then but try for homemade as much as I can :)

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — July 24, 2014 at 9:02 am

We love watermelon slush! Yes to drinking summer fruit! Pinned!

Katie — July 24, 2014 at 9:41 am

Fantastic recipe! Great flavors that are some of my favorites in the summer time. I also eat my weight in watermelon. Frozen, if it is really hot out, watermelon can’t be beat!

Even better than the recipe are these photos! My god, the colors are just jumping out of my screen at me!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 24th, 2014 at 10:41 am

Thank you! I took these pictures on a super hot day awhile back. These things went down so good :)

Beth @ bethcakes — July 24, 2014 at 11:18 am

Oh wow, look at that color! I agree–I’d rather not pass on the vodka. ;) These would be so fun and delicious either way though! Refreshing afternoon snack or fun evening cocktail! This slushy is like the best flavors of summer all in one glass. :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 24th, 2014 at 1:28 pm

I’m glad you’d rather not pass on it, too :)

Angelyn @ Everyday Desserts — July 24, 2014 at 12:06 pm

so beautiful, so colorful & so refreshing – I love everything about these slushies!!

amanda @ fake ginger — July 24, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Yum! I spent probably 20 minutes yesterday in the liquor store trying to find watermelon drinks. No luck. Gotta make this!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 24th, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Watermelon drinks are TOUGH! They’re either reallllly sugary sweet, like 350 calories in 6 ounces (I’m not in college anymore LOL) or they’re just weird tasting and fake! I hope you like these, Amanda :)

• Mark replied: — July 24th, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Pure watermelon has a lower amount of calories, only 51 kcal in 6 ounces (=170g) –> http://happyforks.com/watermelon/raw/2124

If 350 calories is too much for you, just add more watermelon and less other ingredients. I hope it will taste not bad after that change ;) Did you try this?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 25th, 2014 at 10:05 am

I was just goofing around hypothetically with a friend, bantering if you will :)

Denise | Sweet Peas & Saffron — July 24, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Ugh it’s not Friday yet but I need one of these in my life! Love the watermelon-raspberry combo, and in frozen form, I bet they taste amazing together! Gorgeous pictures :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 25th, 2014 at 10:04 am

Thanks, Denise, and I hope your Friday will be filled with a few fun things in store :)

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — July 24, 2014 at 3:53 pm

The color on this is beyond gorgeous. What a great combo!! I swear, I want 3!

Medha @ Whisk & Shout — July 24, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Your pictures are always so pretty!!! I love the pink that the watermelon + raspberries give this :)

Natasha of Natashaskitchen.com — July 24, 2014 at 5:51 pm

These look like a drinkable sorbet. So yum! Pinning :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 25th, 2014 at 10:03 am

Thanks for always pinning so much, too! :) Appreciated!!

Kate @ Diethood — July 24, 2014 at 6:41 pm

I might be the only person that dislikes watermelon. BUT, seriously, I might make an exception for this beautiful drink!! It looks amazing!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — July 24, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Gorgeous, I could sip these all summer long!

Thalia @ butter and brioche — July 24, 2014 at 8:08 pm

this slushie is so calling my name.. definitely could kick back with one right now! so perfect for summer!

Paula — July 25, 2014 at 4:52 am

Such beautiful colors! I’m all about some cold, fruity drinks! Keep ‘em coming!

I’ve also been meaning to ask you, I see your Favorites and Pinned widget on your sidebar, what is your personal most favorite post on AC?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 25th, 2014 at 9:54 am

Oh wow, that’s a hard question. I’ll need to ponder that one for awhile :) With over 500+ recipes…yeah, I need to ponder. Great question though!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — July 25, 2014 at 5:46 am

I wish I could reach through the screen and grab one! Looks absolutely delicious!

Carpet cleaners Battersea — July 25, 2014 at 5:54 am

Watermelon and raspberry…mmm what a great combo! I have to try this!

marla — July 25, 2014 at 6:25 am

These slushy cocktails are gorgeous Averie!! I have a watermelon cocktail on my blog today too :) Cheers!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 25th, 2014 at 9:53 am

What are the odds we both posted watermelon cocktails on the SAME DAY! Great minds think alike, that is for sure!! :)

Katya @ Little Broken — July 25, 2014 at 7:31 am

These look so awesome and cheery! Love it. Great for the weekend.

Danae @ Recipe Runner — July 25, 2014 at 11:54 am

You described these perfectly, summer in a glass. I’m pretty sure I also eat my weight in watermelon every summer too, well now I can turn it into a slushy and drink it too! Pinned!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — July 25, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Mmm, this looks so refreshing!! I’d throw some tequila in the mix. Cheers!

Heather @ French Press — July 25, 2014 at 8:26 pm

I’m kind of obsessed with this! Like I will probably be drinking these every single day

Connie @ Sprig and Flours — July 25, 2014 at 9:49 pm

I cannot wait to try this. It has been so hot where I live, so I have been looking for a delicious way to cool down. This sounds absolutely perfect!

Trish - Mom On Timeout — July 25, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Freakin gorgeous girl! Sharing on FB tomorrow – and pinned of course :) Hope you’re having a great start to your weekend!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 25th, 2014 at 11:50 pm

You’re so sweet, Trish! Thanks for the pin and for the FB share tomorrow! :) xo

Vanessa @ VeganFamilyRecipes — July 26, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Hi Averie,

It has been so hot here and I am so ready for a boozy slushie :) I’ll have to make sure I don’t down both glasses within 5 minutes.

Such a great and easy recipe. Thanks :D

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking — July 27, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Can I have about 17 of these right now?? Such a long sleepless weekend — I need all the summer relaxation I can get! ;) Love how healthy these are too, compared to the 7-11 slurpees I grew up chugging. We’d beg my mom to go nearly every afternoon after elementary school because it was just around the corner from school, but she only agreed about every other week. Such a treat, but these would be way better!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 28th, 2014 at 5:08 am

I live like 2 blocks from a 7-11 and a few times a week, slurpees do happen. I have a 7 year old, what can I say :)

• Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking replied: — July 28th, 2014 at 9:53 am

With your adorable daughter, it’s only 2 times a week? I’d totally cave more; I’m a pushover… So I’m impressed!! :)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — July 29, 2014 at 12:48 am

Raspberry pomegranate vodka?! YES PLEASE! These would seriously go down so easily.

Julie Blanner — July 29, 2014 at 4:24 pm

I could sure go for one of these right about now on a warm summer day like today! These look so yummy. :)
    julieblanner.com

Courtney — August 3, 2014 at 5:51 pm

These are soooo good! I got the link from Buzzfeed and I’m glad I did! Watermelon pucker schnapps and extra lime juice made it extra tasty. Not overly sweet, which I love! Thank you :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 3rd, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Glad you found the link, Courtney, and that you loved these! Watermelon Pucker is good stuff :)

Mary — August 12, 2014 at 1:48 pm

These are so yummy! I had bought a watermelon to make my ‘Tipsy Pops’ and when I saw your recipe and made both! (I grow my own raspberries) I used Ketel One vodka and Midori in mine. Thank you for the recipe.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 12th, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Ketel One vodka and Midori and homegrown raspberries sounds pretty amazing! Glad you enjoyed the drink!