15-Minute Skinny Vegetable Soba Noodles
This post may contain affiliate links.
When I want something warmer than a salad yet something that still incorporates plenty of healthy vegetables, this is perfect. Part noodle bowl, part soup.
The dish is ready in the time it would take me to make a salad and while it’s hearty and comforting, it’s light enough to keep me fitting into my skinny jeans.
The broth is layered with flavors including soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, agave, and sesame oil. Fresh grated ginger, green onions, and cilantro add even more dimension. Make sure to taste your broth and make any tweaks you think it needs.
There’s plenty of crunch and texture from the the sugar snap peas, carrots, red cabbage, and baby bok choy I used.
But it’s versatile and you can use your favorite vegetables. Try radishes, mushrooms, edamame, or tofu. The dish is vegan as written but you can add shredded chicken if you think you’ll miss the meat but we don’t.
I find soba noodles at my regular grocery store in either the Asian foods aisle or in the pasta aisle, often kept near the gluten-free pasta or brown rice pasta. If you can’t find soba noodles, whole wheat spaghetti may be substituted, noting that it takes much longer to cook than soba noodles, which usually cook in about 4 to 5 minutes.
- 64 ounces (8 cups) low-sodium vegetable broth (low sodium-chicken broth may be substituted)
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons agave (honey may be substituted)
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 9.5 ounces dried soba (buckwheat) noodles (whole wheat spaghetti may be substituted noting different cooking times)
- 3 cups baby bok choy, sliced into 1/2-inch strips (from about 3 baby bok choy that have been trimmed)
- 2 1/2 cups red cabbage, sliced into thin ribbons (from about 1/4 head medium cabbage)
- 2 cups sugar snap peas
- 2 cups carrot ribbons (use a vegetable peeler to make them from about 2 large carrots that have been peeled and trimmed)
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced into thin rounds (from about 4 green onions that have been trimmed)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves (stems discarded), finely minced
- toasted sesame seeds, optional for garnishing
- To a large Dutch oven or stockpot, add the broth, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, sesame oil, agave, ginger, salt, pepper, stir to combine, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and allow mixture to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the soba noodles, bok choy, cabbage, and cook over medium-high heat until the noodles are al dente, about 4 to 5 minutes, or according to package directions.
- Add the sugar snap peas, carrots, green onions, cilantro, and cook for 1 minute, or until sugar snap peas are crisp-tender.
- Taste broth and make any necessary seasoning adjustments, i.e. more salt, pepper, soy sauce, vinegar, agave, etc., optionally garnish with sesame seeds, and serve immediately. Dish is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat gently as desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3968mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 13gProtein: 6g
Easy Sweet and Sour Asian Noodles – So much flavor in these easy noodles that are ready in 30 minutes! Plenty of vegetables add great crunch! You won’t miss takeout when homemade tastes way better and is healthier!
Weight Loss Vegetable Soup – Trying to shed some pounds or get healthier? Try this easy, flavorful soup that’s ready in 30 minutes and loaded with veggies!! Very filling and hearty! Zero WW Smart Points!
Peanut Chicken with Peanut Noodles – Easy, ready in 20 minutes, tastes better, and way healthier than takeout!! Peanut sauce automatically makes everything taste amazing!
Peanut Noodles with Mixed Vegetables and Peanut Sauce – Fast, easy, fresh, healthy, and ready in 5 minutes!
Chicken Teriyaki and Vegetable Bowtie Pasta – Juicy chicken coated in teriyaki sauce with crisp, crunchy veggies! Healthy, easy, 20 minute meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights!
Skinny Broccoli and Mixed Vegetable Stir Fry – Skip takeout and make your own fast, easy, and healthy stir fry! Think of all the money and calories you’ll save!
Skinny Mayo-Less Cabbage Salad – (vegan, GF) – This healthy cabbage salad/coleslaw isn’t coated with gobs of mayo and you won’t miss it!
15 Best Fast and Easy Soup Recipes – Warm up with these easy soup recipes!! Most are ready in under 30 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights! Hearty, comforting, and so good!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.