Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
When I asked on Facebook what kind of recipes you want to see, I was overwhelmed with slow cooker responses.
So slow cooker orange chicken it is today with more slow cooker recipes in the upcoming weeks. Make sure you’re following me on Facebook and chime in.
This is the easiest orange chicken ever and there’s no breading, browning, or frying involved. Your slow cooker does all the work for you.
The chicken is so tender, juicy, and layered with complementary flavors from the orange marmalade, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and green onions.
Along with rice and steamed broccoli and peapods, my family loved this meal and it couldn’t be any easier for me. I used a slow cooker liner and cleanup was as easy as tossing the liner.
There’s plenty of cooking sauce leftover in the bottom of the slow cooker which I spoon generously over the chicken, rice, and veggies. I love the sweet-and-tangy, savory flavor and don’t let a drop go to waste.
Please note I haven’t made this recipe without a slow cooker so can’t give specifics about how to tweak it if you don’t have a slow cooker. I have other chicken recipes listed in the Related Recipes below that you can try until you can make this with a slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
This is the easiest orange chicken ever and there’s no breading, browning, or frying involved. The chicken is so tender, juicy, and layered with complementary flavors from the orange marmalade, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and green onions. There’s plenty of cooking sauce leftover in the bottom of the slow cooker which I spoon generously over the chicken. I love the sweet-and-tangy, savory flavor. I used a slow cooker liner and cleanup was as easy as tossing the liner.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground ginger, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, lightly toasted if desired (add to a dry skillet and cook over medium heat for about 30 seconds or until fragrant)
- 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced thin for garnishing
- orange slices, optional for garnishing
- Line a 3 to 6-quart slow cooker with a liner if using one. I prefer to use liners for easy cleanup.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over bottom of the liner or slow cooker.
- To a large, gallon-sized ziptop plastic bag, add the chicken, cornstarch, salt, pepper, seal bag, and toss to coat chicken evenly. Add chicken to slow cooker, evenly distributed; set aside.
- To a 2-cup measuring cup or medium bowl, add the orange marmalade, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, ginger (I prefer 1 teaspoon but some people are sensitive to ginger), garlic, remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture over the chicken, using a spoon to distribute the sauce as necessary, making sure all pieces are coated.
- Cook covered on high for about 2 hours or on low for about 4 hours. If cooking on high, start checking at 90 minutes and if cooking on low, start checking at 3 hours. All slow cookers vary so cook until chicken is done (reaches 165F on an instant read thermometer).
- Add chicken to a plate with as much extra cooking sauce spooned over the top as desired, garnish with sesame seeds, green onions, optional orange wedges, and serve immediately. Chicken is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
One-Skillet Orange Chicken with Vegetables – Easy, ready in 15 minutes, healthy (no breading, no frying), and the orange flavor just pops! Perfect for busy weeknights, a family favorite, and you’ll make this over and over!
Sweet and Tangy Jerk Chicken with Caramelized Pineapple and Mango – Easy and ready in 15 minutes! Dinner that tastes like a tropical vacation is a guaranteed hit!
One-Pan Barbecue Chicken and Roasted Sweet Potatoes – Juicy chicken and tender potatoes roasted on one pan! The barbecue sauce keeps everything super moist and flavorful! Fast, easy, and zero cleanup!
One-Pan Honey Lemon Chicken and Roasted Potatoes – Juicy chicken with a honey lemon glaze that’s tangy-sweet and so good!! Healthy, fast, so easy, and cleanup is a breeze!!
Peanut Chicken with Peanut Noodles – Easy, ready in 20 minutes, tastes better, and way healthier than takeout! Peanut sauce automatically makes everything taste amazing!
Smoky Chicken, Peppers, and Spinach Pasta Salad – Juicy chicken, crisp bell peppers and pasta with smoked paprika! Fast, easy, healthy and a hit with everyone!! Great for picnics, potlucks, or easy weeknight dinners!
Chinese Chicken Pasta Salad – Big juicy chicken chunks and texture galore from the rainbow of crispy veggies! Fast, easy, fresh and healthy! Great for picnics, potlucks, and easy dinners!
Chicken Teriyaki and Vegetable Bowtie Pasta – Juicy chicken coated in teriyaki sauce with crisp, crunchy veggies! Healthy, easy, 20 minute meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights!
Cilantro Lime Chicken with Mixed Rice and Black Beans – Easy, one skillet, 15-minute meal! Tons of textures and bold flavors in every bite!! The lime makes this dish just POP!
One-Skillet Balsamic Chicken and Vegetables – A tangy-sweet balsamic glaze coats juicy chicken and crisp-tender veggies! Healthy, easy, ready in 15 minutes, and perfect for busy weeknights! It’s a keeper!