Easy 15-Minute Sweet and Sour Chicken
I’m all about a 15-minute dinner. Especially when it tastes better than what I’d get in a restaurant, it’s healthier, less expensive, and faster than calling for takeout. Score on all fronts.
It’s a simple sauce that’s packed with the perfect balance of sweet yet sour Asian flavors. Soy, sesame, garlic, and more.
The sauce coats the chicken beautifully and really makes this dish what it is. You’ll likely have extra which I could eat by the spoonful. It’s great over rice or veggies.MY OTHER RECIPES
Before cooking the chicken it’s tossed with cornstarch which helps keep it moist, tender, juicy, and provides a very lightly ‘breaded’ exterior without actually breading it.
The flavor profile reminds me of Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken with Pineapple and Easy Sweet and Sour Asian Noodles. Serve it with rice (try Easy Better-Than-Takeout Chicken Fried Rice) and you’re set.
If you want to make this dish with veggies like broccoli or sugar snap peas, add them after you add the sauce to the chicken and let them simmer in the sauce for a few minutes until they’re crisp tender.
Easy 15-Minute Sweet and Sour Chicken
I’m all about a 15-minute dinner especially when it tastes better than what I’d get in a restaurant, it’s healthier, less expensive, and faster than calling for takeout. It’s a simple sauce that’s packed with the perfect balance of sweet yet sour Asian flavors. Soy, sesame, garlic, and more. The sauce coats the chicken beautifully and really makes this dish. The chicken it’s tossed with cornstarch which helps keep it moist, tender, juicy, and provides a very lightly ‘breaded’ exterior without actually breading it.
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar, packed
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- about 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if necessary
- 2 green onions, sliced into thin rounds, optional for garnishing
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, optional for garnishing
- Sauce – To a medium saucepan, add all ingredients except water and cornstarch, whisk to combine, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- To a small bowl, add the water, cornstarch, and stir to combine.
- Add the water and cornstarch mixture to saucepan, reduce heat to low, and allow sauce to simmer for about 5 minutes while you make the chicken; whisk intermittently.
- Chicken – To a large ziptop bag, add the chicken, cornstarch, salt and pepper to taste, seal, and shake to coat chicken evenly.
- To a large skillet, add 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil, chicken, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until chicken has cooked through. Stir and flip intermittently to ensure even cooking. If skillet seems dry while cooking, add an additional tablespoon or two of oil as necessary.
- After chicken has cooked though, reduce heat to low, add the sauce, stir to coat evenly, and allow it to simmer for a minute or two.
- Optionally garnish with green onions, sesame seeds, and serve immediately. Chicken is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
My Favorite Easy Chicken Recipes are ALL HERE
Better-Than-Takeout Cashew Chicken – Juicy chicken, crisp-tender vegetables, and crunchy cashews coated with the best garlicky soy sauce! Skip takeout and make your own restaurant-quality meal that’s easy, ready in 20 minutes, and healthier!
Easy Better-Than-Takeout Chicken Fried Rice – One-skillet, ready in 20 minutes, and you’ll never want takeout again after tasting how good homemade is! Way more flavor, not greasy, and loads of juicy chicken!
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken – The easiest orange chicken ever because your slow cooker does all the work! Super juicy, tender, and coated with a sweet-yet-tangy orange glaze that’s irresistible!
Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken with Pineapple – Tender chicken with lots of pineapple makes you feel like you’re eating dinner on a Hawaiian vacation without leaving home! Ridiculously easy, packed with flavor, and a hit with everyone!
Easy Sweet and Sour Asian Noodles – So much flavor in these easy noodles that are ready in 30 minutes! Plenty of vegetables add great crunch! You won’t miss takeout when homemade tastes way better and is healthier!
Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Chicken – The easiest peanut chicken ever and your slow cooker does all the work! Topped with crunchy peanuts, cilantro, green onions, and the peanut sauce is irresistible!
Thai Coconut Chicken Stir Fry – Chicken, sugar snap peas, bell peppers, and carrots simmered in a rich coconut milk broth that’s irresistible! Layers of flavor, easy, ready in 20 minutes, and healthy!
Orange Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin – An orange-scented teriyaki sauce keeps the pork so tender, juicy, and flavorful! Easy, one-skillet recipe that’s ready in 20 minutes and healthy! Under 250 calories with 25 grams of protein!
P.F. Chang’s Mongolian Beef (Copycat Recipe) – Make the restaurant favorite at home in 20 minutes! Easy and it has so much flavor! Tastes even better than the restaurant version!
Peanut Chicken with Peanut Noodles – Easy, ready in 20 minutes, tastes better, and way healthier than takeout! Peanut sauce automatically makes everything taste amazing!
Chinese Chicken Pasta Salad – Big juicy chicken chunks and texture galore from the rainbow of crispy veggies! Fast, easy, fresh and healthy! Great for picnics, potlucks, and easy dinners!
Chicken Teriyaki and Vegetable Bowtie Pasta – Juicy chicken coated in teriyaki sauce with crisp, crunchy veggies! Healthy, easy, 20 minute meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights!