Bacon Cheddar Egg Casserole
Bacon, cheese, and eggs.
Comfort food that’s hearty, fills you up, and keeps you warm inside, especially when it’s chilly outside.
The casserole is perfect for lazy weekend brunches or holiday breakfasts but it’s also great for busy weeknight dinners.
Are you a fan of breakfast for dinner? I grew up in a house where eggs, pancakes, and waffles were included in our regular dinner rotation.
I’ve kept on with the breakfast for dinner tradition for a few reasons. It’s easy, breakfast food is pretty inexpensive, and everyone likes it. A triple win.
The casserole is definitely hearty and loaded with flavor from the melted cheese, crisp bacon, and green onions, but still has enough lightness from a secret ingredient: pancake mix.
I used Krusteaz Original Pancake Mix. Their mixes are always reliable and this recipe proves you can use it for more than just pancakes.
Bacon Cheddar Egg Casserole
Bacon, cheese, and eggs. Comfort food that's hearty, fills you up, and keeps you warm inside. The casserole is perfect for lazy weekend brunches or holiday breakfasts but it's also great for busy weeknight dinners. The casserole is definitely hearty and loaded with flavor from the gooey cheese, crisp bacon, and green onions but is light from the pancake mix.
Yield: one 9x9-inch square pan, about 8 to 10 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: about 35 to 40 minutes
Total Time: about 45 to 50 minutes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and divided
- 1 cup Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake Mix
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces), divided
- about 10 slices bacon, cooked, drained, and diced small, divided (see tip below)
- about 4 green onions (about 1/3 cup), trimmed and sliced into thin rounds plus more for garnishing if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 9x9-inch square baking pan or casserole dish with cooking spray and even drizzle with 1/4 cup melted butter; set aside.
- To a medium bowl, add the pancake mix, 1/2 cup milk, 1 egg, remaining 1/4 cup melted butter, and whisk until smooth, some tiny lumps are okay. Pour over the melted butter in pan; set aside.
- Evenly sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese.
- Evenly sprinkle with half the bacon; reserve remainder to sprinkle on top; set aside. Tip - I use one 2.1-ounce package (10 slices) pre-cooked bacon and simply microwave it for about 90 seconds to heat through; much faster than having to fully cook bacon.
- Get the FULL RECIPE HERE
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Eggs In Hell with Italian Sausage – Sometimes called Eggs in Purgatory or shakshuka, this easy dish includes eggs poached in tomatoes with sausage and garlic for tons of flavor! Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or breakfast-for-dinner!!
Easy Eggs, Sausage, and Hash Browns Skillet – Hearty comfort food that’s worth getting out of bed for! Great for brunch or as breakfast-for-dinner! Ready in 30 minutes and packed with big flavors!
Loaded Southwestern Scramble – Don’t settle for plain scrambled eggs when you can have these!! Peppers, onions, corn, and more for flavor and texture! Easy, ready in 10 minutes, and healthy!
Easy Spinach and Tomato Frittata – Ready in 10 minutes and healthy! Perfect for any meal!! Great for using up odds-and-ends veggies, too!
Creamy and Crispy Hash Browns Frittata – Creamy eggs with crispy hash browns and made in one skillet!
Asparagus, Peas, and Smoked Gouda Frittata – Even the pickiest eaters will eat green vegetables in this healthy and easy 25 minute recipe!
Sweet Potato and Mozzarella Egg Skillet (GF) – Easy, cheesy comfort food that’s ready in 15 minutes!
White Cheddar and Dijon Baked Eggs – Fast and easy comfort food that’s ready in 15 minutes! The Dijon and cheese jazz these eggs right up!
100-Calorie Cheese, Vegetable and Egg Muffins (GF) – Healthy, easy, and only 100 calories! You’ll want to keep a stash on hand!