Asiago Chicken Pasta — EASY comfort food to feed a crowd that’s ready in 25 minutes!! Tender chicken and penne pasta with red peppers, green beans, and everything is coated with Asiago CHEESE for the family dinner win!!
Quick Asiago Pasta Recipe
Hello, family-friendly comfort food that’s ready in 25 minutes.
The chicken and pasta are tender and al dente, the peppers and green beans are crisp-tender, and everything is coated in rich and savory Asiago cheese. The melted cheese clings to the pasta perfectly and is just so good. Literal pieces of comfort.
The basil adds a lovely pop of freshness, flavor, and ties these Italian-inspired flavors together.
This easy and very cheesy chicken and pasta recipe is absolutely perfect for busy weeknights and it feeds a crowd. It’s a great meal prep recipe for planned leftovers that you can either refrigerate for the week or freeze them for a rainy day.
What’s in the Asiago Chicken Pasta?
For this quick and easy chicken cheese pasta skillet, you’ll need:
- Penne pasta
- Olive oil
- Chicken breasts
- Red bell pepper
- Green beans
- Salt and pepper
- Asiago cheese
- Fresh basil
How to Make Asiago Chicken Pasta
This is possibly the easiest skillet pasta dish EVER!
Simply boil a pound of penne and while that’s underway, sauté the chicken. To it, add red bell pepper, fresh green beans, then add the cooked pasta, and finally in goes the Asiago cheese.
The warm pasta helps the cheese melt in no time. Cheesy goodness for sure.
What Can I Substitute for the…
This is such a flexible recipe that’s ready so quickly with ingredients that are inexpensive, easy to find, and many of them you probably have on hand already.
- Instead of penne pasta: Bowtie, wheels, small shells, ziti, or similarly shaped smaller pasta shapes are fine.
- Instead of green beans: I used haricots vert which are thinner and more tender version of green beans with a fancy French name. I prefer them but either green beans or haricots vert are fine.
- Instead of red bell pepper: Any color bell pepper is fine but I like the color contrast of the red pepper with the green veggies. You could also carrots if you have some on hand for another color, flavor, and texture.
- Instead of Asiago cheese: You could use Parmesan in place of Asiago but Parmesan is more expensive and it melts differently and is not as creamy since it’s drier than Asiago. Under no circumstances would you want to use a green can of Parmesan.
- Instead of basil: Fresh parsley would work although for me personally, fresh basil is where it’s at.
Tips for Making This Chicken Cheese Pasta
I highly recommend grating your own Asiago cheese. I’ve never seen it in bags, but I also haven’t looked hard either. Trader Joe’s sells Asiago for $7.99 pound and you need a bit under a pound, about 12 ounces, or $5-ish dollars.
As I mentioned already, this is a very flexible Asiago pasta recipe. Feel free to mix and match the veggies and pasta shapes in this recipe.
The pasta is best enjoyed right away, but leftovers keep up to four days in the fridge and reheat nicely on the stovetop.
Pin This Recipe
Asiago Chicken Pasta
EASY comfort food to feed a crowd that's ready in 25 minutes!! Tender chicken and penne pasta with red peppers, green beans, and everything is coated with Asiago CHEESE for the family dinner win!!
- 12 ounces penne pasta, cooked according to package directions and drained; set aside
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced into small pieces
- 2 cups green beans or haricots vert, halved or trimmed into bite-sized pieces
- 3 to 5 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 cups shredded asiago cheese (about 12 ounces)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely minced
- To a large pot, cook the pasta according to package directions, drain; set aside. While the pasta cooks, continue with the recipe.
- To a very large skillet, add the olive oil, chicken, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until done; stir and flip intermittently to ensure even cooking.
- Add the red pepper, green beans, cover, and allow vegetables to steam for about 4 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant; stir nearly continuously.
- Evenly sprinkle with salt, pepper, and stir to combine.
- Add the pasta and stir to combine.
- Add the cheese and toss and stir to combine; stir nearly continuously until melted.
- Add the basil, stir to combine, and taste for seasoning balance. Add more salt, pepper, or basil if desired and serve immediately.
Recipe will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 341Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 858mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 33g
More Easy Pasta Dinners:
Three Cheese Baked Ziti – Mozzarella, fontina, and parmesan melted together are divine!! An easy, make-ahead meal that’s also freezer-friendly and so tasty!! The whole family will love it!
20-Minute Stovetop White Cheddar Mac and Cheese – Almost as FAST and EASY as using a box but tastes a million times BETTER!! So creamy, ridiculously cheesy, and the extra sharp white cheddar cheese gives this mac and cheese so much FLAVOR!!
Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Chicken – A healthier twist on chicken parmesan because there’s NO breaded chicken!! Easy, ready in 20 minutes, and loaded with FLAVOR! A guaranteed hit that’ll be in your regular dinner rotation!!
One-Bag Lemon Chicken and Pasta – An EASY lemon chicken and pasta recipe that’s family-friendly and perfect for busy weeknights!! Everything cooks in ONE bag! The chicken is juicy, the pasta is tender, and cleanup is a breeze!!
Skinny Italian Chicken Pasta Salad – EASY, ready in 30 minutes, feeds a crowd, and is on the SKINNY side!! Juicy chicken, fresh veggies, and the pasta are tossed in a light and tangy homemade Italian lemon vinaigrette!!
Lemon Butter Garlic Shrimp with Angel Hair Pasta – Easy and ready in 15 minutes! Big lemon flavor, juicy shrimp, and buttery noodles all in one dish everyone will love! A healthy weeknight dinner for those busy nights!!
Easy 30-Minute Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese – Classic mac and cheese the whole family will love! The creamy, cheesy comfort food you crave!! So much better than anything out of a box and just as easy!!
Smoky Chicken, Peppers, and Spinach Pasta Salad – Juicy chicken, crisp bell peppers and pasta with smoked paprika! Fast, easy, healthy and a hit with everyone!! Great for picnics, potlucks, or easy weeknight dinners!
Honey Lemon Chicken with Angel Hair Pasta – Easy, ready in 20 minutes, and you’ll love the tangy-sweet flavor!! A healthy weeknight dinner for those busy nights!!
Asiago and fresh basil sound delicious with chicken and pasta!
It was such a great combo and an easy one too!