Anything baked in a muffin pan automatically gets my attention.
It’s cute, it’s individually portioned, and I just can’t resist.
My family couldn’t resist the hash browns and they’re so easy. Simply combine grated potatoes with Parmesan, Panko breadcrumbs, olive oil, salt and pepper, and bake.
Best of all, you don’t need to stand at a hot griddle flipping potatoes with grease splattering up on your wrists.
I grated the potatoes using the coarsest blade of a box grater. It only takes a couple minutes, still faster than washing food processor parts. I haven’t tried using convenience bags of grated potatoes and am not sure how those will work. I think you get the crispiest hash browns when you grate your own potatoes.
After grating, you must place the potatoes in a stack of paper towels and wring them out aggressively over the sink. It’s amazing how much water you’ll be able to squeeze and that water is what prevents your hash browns from crisping up. So if you want crispy hash browns, get the water out. Keep on squeezing.
The Panko breadcrumbs add a little bit of texture and crispiness, accentuating the overall crispy vibe. They’re sold near regular breadcrumbs or in the Asian section of your grocery store. Make these Tater-Less Parmesan Zucchini Tots, Baked Parmesan Edamame Bites with Creamy Wasabi Dip, or Crispy Roasted Parmesan Chickpeas with Spiced Ranch Dip with your leftover Parmesan and Panko.
I baked the hash browns for 35 minutes, and baking times will vary widely depending on potatoes used, their moisture level, pan size, oven and climate variance, and personal preference for crispiness.
They’re a great side dish as is, but a fried egg on top would be fun. Or try them for a game day portable snack.
Crispy edges with soft, tender, cheesy interiors and ketchup. My hash browns must be smothered in ketchup.
Pin This Recipe
- about 4 cups grated white potatoes (about 2 large peeled potatoes)
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs (sold near regular breadcrumbs or in the Asian section)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- onion or garlic powder, optional and to taste
- ketchup, sour cream, or your favorite condiments, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a Non-Stick 12-Cup Regular Muffin Pan very well with cooking spray or grease and flour the pan; set aside.
- To a large bowl, add all ingredients (other than ketchup or sour cream) and gently toss to combine. Very important note about the potatoes – I grated them by hand on the coarsest blade of a box grater. Every cup or so of grated potatoes, place potatoes inside double or triple layered paper towels and wring out very well over the sink. The drier the potatoes are, the crispier the hash browns will be.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until edges are browned with lightly golden tops that are set. Start checking at 30 minutes, but baking could take much longer than 40 minutes depending on potatoes used, their moisture level, pan size, oven and climate variance, and personal preference for crispiness.
- Allow hash browns to cool for about 10-15 minutes in muffin pan on top of a wire rack before gently rimming each cavity with a knife if necessary, dislodging, and serving with ketchup, sour cream, etc.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 144Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 296mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
Tater-Less Parmesan Zucchini Tots – You’ll never miss the taters! Crispy, crunchy, and sooo good! You’ll forget you’re eating zucchini!
Creamy and Crispy Hash Browns Frittata (vegetarian, gluten-free) – Soft, creamy eggs with crispy, crunchy hash browns are a perfect match! Easy comfort-food recipe that’s great for breakfast, brunch, or brinner (breakfast-for-dinner).
Baked Parmesan Edamame Bites with Creamy Wasabi Dip – The ultimate in mini comfort food! You’ll want to inhale the whole batch!
100-Calorie Cheese, Vegetable and Egg Muffins (GF) – Healthy, easy & only 100 calories! You’ll want to keep a stash on hand!
Crispy Roasted Parmesan Chickpeas with Spiced Ranch Dip – Crispy, crunchy and cheesy! You’ll want to devour the whole batch!
Parmesan Ranch Snack Mix (no-bake) – Pretzels, peanuts & popcorn tossed with ranch mix! Ready in 5 mins & so addictively good
Roasted Cauliflower with Creamy Parmesan Dip – Even people who say they don’t like cauliflower will love this version. Healthy and easy
Cinnamon Sugar and Ginger Roasted Potato Sticks (vegan, GF)
Lemon and Dill Roasted Potato Sticks (vegan, GF)
Caribbean Citrus Roasted Sweet Potatoes (vegan, GF)
Sweet Potato Graham Cracker “French Toast” Sticks – Sweet potatoes that taste like French Toast Sticks
Baked Chipotle Sweet Potato and Zucchini Fritters Healthy fritters that are baked rather than being fried in gobs of oil!