Spicy Baked BBQ Chicken Wings — These baked bbq chicken wings are perfect for entertaining, parties, or whenever you’re craving juicy chicken wings. Bonus: you only need 5 ingredients!
Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
This is the first chicken wing recipe I’ve ever posted on my blog. After seven years, it’s about time and this one is a keeper. This oven baked wings recipe is so easy and there’s no frying involved. The wings are perfect for entertaining, parties, game days, or whenever you’re craving juicy chicken wings.
The sauce is where it’s at with these baked bbq chicken wings. It coats the wings beautifully and they’re spicy enough but not ridiculously so. I used the new KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce Mix and Dry Rub in the Original flavor. It also comes in Sweet Honey and Spicy Habanero.
What’s cool about the product is that you can use it as a dry rub or add liquid to it to create a marinade or BBQ sauce. You can customize the liquids depending on what you’re in the mood for. Try water, juice, soda, beer, or bourbon.
For this sauce, pineapple juice helps temper the spiciness of the chili garlic sauce which adds the heat. Chili garlic sauce is found in the Asian aisle of most grocery stores or Walmart. I got everything I needed for the recipe at Walmart to keep things easy.
Keep the napkins handy as you dig into the wings. My family loved them so much the whole batch was polished off in minutes.
What’s in Baked BBQ Chicken Wings?
To make these oven baked wings, you’ll need:
- KC Masterpiece® BBQ Sauce Mix and Dry Rub, Original Flavor
- Pineapple juice
- Chili garlic sauce
- Bone-in, skin-on chicken wings
- Green onion
How to Bake BBQ Chicken Wings in the Oven
Making bbq wings in the oven is a cinch. First, you’ll need to mix together the pineapple juice, bbq dry rub, and chili garlic sauce. Let the chicken marinate in the sauce for at least 30 minutes, then arrange wings in a flat layer on a foil-lined baking tray.
Bake the bbq chicken wings until the internal temperature reaches 165F, and the wings are as dark as you like.
I like to toss my baked bbq chicken wings with a little extra sauce before garnishing with green onion and serving.
How Long to Bake Chicken Wings?
If using bone-in, skin-on chicken wings, they’ll need to bake for roughly 35 to 40 minutes.
Can I Use Boneless Chicken Wings?
I’m sure you could, but I’ve only made the recipe as written. Using boneless chicken wings may alter the cook time slightly.
Tips for Making Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
Reduce the amount of chili garlic sauce if you’re sensitive to spicy foods. And for even more spice, add extra chili garlic sauce.
Also note that the spicy bbq sauce thickens up as it stands, so if you have time mix up the sauce and let it stand at room temperature for 1 hour before using.
Lastly, you MUST discard the leftover marinade once you’ve laid the chicken wings on the baking tray. The leftover marinade can’t be eaten since it’s touched raw chicken.
Pin This Recipe
- 1 pouch of KC Masterpiece® BBQ Sauce Mix and Dry Rub, Original Flavor
- 6 ounces pineapple juice (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup chili garlic sauce
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken wings, skin-on and bone-in
- 1 green onion, trimmed and sliced into thin rounds for garnishing
- To a large measuring cup or medium bowl, add the pouch of BBQ Sauce Mix, pineapple juice, chili garlic sauce, and whisk to combine. Tip – The sauce thickens as it stands so if you have time, mix up the sauce and let it stand at room temp for 1 hour before using.
- To a large resealable ziptop bag add the chicken wings, 3/4 cup sauce (reserve about 1/3 cup), seal bag, toss chicken around to coat evenly, and place in fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes or longer (overnight) for more flavor. I marinated overnight. Refrigerate reserved marinade.
- After marinating, preheat oven to 425F, line a baking sheet with foil (don’t skip lining your baking sheet), remove wings from bag (discard the bag and any marinade in the bag) and arrange wings in a flat layer on baking sheet.
- Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until internal temp reaches 165F, and wings are as dark as you like. Flip once halfway through baking. Watch closely in the final minutes of baking because the marinade is prone to burning.
- Place cooked wings in a large bowl, toss with remaining 1/3 cup marinade to coat evenly, garnish with green onions, and serve immediately. Wings are best warm and fresh.
Adapted from Spicy Buffalo Chicken Wings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 980Total Fat: 69gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 39gCholesterol: 232mgSodium: 1483mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 49g
More Easy Appetizer Recipes:
Favorite EASY CHICKEN RECIPES
Loaded Beef Skillet Nachos — EASY, ready in 15 minutes, and LOADED with taco-seasoned ground beef, black beans, corn, cilantro, and lots of CHEESE!! Great for parties, game days, after school snacks, or a cheat night dinner!!
Easy Loaded Chicken Tostadas — Easy, ready in 20 minutes, and packed with so much flavor and texture galore. They’re perfect for parties, snacks, or to break out of your dinner rut!
Hot Cheesy Corn Dip — This easy corn dip recipe literally takes five minutes to stir together. It’s great for parties, football, and tailgating!
Beer and Bourbon Barbecue Chicken Sliders — These easy chicken sliders are ready in 25 minutes and are great for Fourth of July, Labor Day, holiday parties, tailgating, and game days.
Spicy Chorizo Queso – No processed cheese in this EASY cheese dip that’s ready in 20 minutes!! Wonderfully spicy thanks to the chorizo! Great appetizer for holiday entertaining, parties, and game days!!
Pepperoni Pizza Sliders — The sliders are a cinch to make and ready in less than 30 minutes. You can doctor them up with cooked bacon, sausage, or your other pizza fixing favorites.
Baked Chicken Nuggets with Honey Mustard — These baked chicken nuggets are coated in a mixture of Panko breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan, which makes them extra flavorful and crispy! Dunk them in homemade honey mustard or your dipping sauce of choice.
Post is brought to you by KC Masterpiece. The recipe, images, text, and opinions expressed are my own.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of KC Masterpiece. The opinions and text are all mine.