Buttery Crumb Coffee Cake
Let’s talk about coffee cake which I think is very underrated. I would prefer a slice of glazed coffee cake with those big crumbs to a fancy layer cake most any day.MY OTHER RECIPES
It’s even better when the cake is extremely easy and fast to make. I had this cake made, cooled, and ready to dig into in under an hour.
It tastes like something you’d get at a bakery but better because it’s not dry in the least, a problem I find with cake in general from bakeries.
The secret is that I doctored up a box of yellow cake mix. Who knew that cake mix combined with brown sugar and melted butter could yield such a scrumptious crumb topping. If you’re cake mix averse, make this scratch base and use this crumb topping minus the cocoa.
The cake is soft, fluffy, and tender. The crumbs add subtle texture and it wouldn’t be coffee cake without plenty of glaze.
It’s a perfect brunch cake or simply a great recipe to keep on hand for when you need a fast, easy cake that everyone will love.
Buttery Crumb Coffee Cake
I would prefer a slice of glazed coffee cake with big crumbs to a fancy layer cake most any day. It’s even better when the cake is extremely easy and fast to make. I had this cake made, cooled, and ready in under an hour. It tastes like something you’d get at a bakery but better because it’s not dry in the least. I doctored up a box of yellow cake mix with brown sugar, melted butter, and the result is a scrumptious crumb topping. The cake is soft, fluffy, and tender. The crumbs add subtle texture and it wouldn’t be coffee cake without plenty of glaze. Great for brunch.
- one 15.25-ounce package yellow cake mix; reserve 1 cup
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup reserved cake mix
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon light-colored corn syrup (helps keep the glaze softer)
- 1 tablespoon water
- Cake – Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9×13-inch metal pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- To a large bowl add the cake mix (reserve one cup and add to a medium bowl), eggs, water, flour, oil, and mix with a handheld electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Mix on high speed for about 2 minutes, or until blended, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Turn batter out into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula; set aside.
- Topping – To the medium bowl with the 1 cup reserved cake mix, add the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and mix with a fork until crumbs form. There will be a mixture of sandy crumbs and pebbles. Evenly turn crumb mixture out over the cake mix.
- Bake for about 22 to 24 minutes, or until cake is set in the center, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs but no batter. Allow cake to cool in pan on a wire rack while you prepare the glaze.
- Glaze – To a medium bowl, add the confectioners’ sugar, corn syrup (milk or water may be substituted noting glaze will set up harder and crustier), water, and whisk until smooth and combined. Evenly drizzle glaze over cake.
- Allow cake to cool for about 15 minutes in pan or until sufficiently cooled to slice and serve. Cake will keep airtight at room temp for up to 5 days.
Adapted from Taste of Home
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Sweet Cream Vanilla Coffee Cake – You’ll never guess what special ingredient keeps this fast and easy cake so soft and moist!
The Best Tres Leches Cake – Soft, tender, and soaked with three milks! It just melts in your mouth and it’s the BEST tres leches cake ever! You need to try this amazing cake!
Better-Than-Anything Peanut Butter Cake – A peanut butter lovers dream: PB, PB chips, and PB cups! An easy, no-mixer poke cake that’s drenched with caramel to keep it super moist! Lives up to it’s name and tastes amazing!
Cocoa Crumble-Topped Chocolate Mocha Cake – It’s hard to resist picking those big cocoa crumbles right off this super soft & easy cake!
Salted Caramel Buttery Crumb Bars – Easy, soft, buttery bars that just melt in your mouth! The salted caramel makes them so irresistible!
Tropical Escape Soft Pineapple Crumble Bars – Sweet, soft bars with big pineapple chunks that taste like a tropical vacation!
Berry Crumble Bars – Big buttery crumbles top the soft, juicy bars packed with blueberries, raspberries and strawberries! Easy, no mixer recipe that’s irresistible!! (Frozen fruit okay!)
Raspberry Oatmeal Crumble Bars – Fast, easy, no-mixer bars great for breakfast, snacks, or a healthy dessert! The big crumbles are irresistible! Fresh raspberries not needed so you can make the bars year round!
Blueberry Oatmeal Crumble Bars – Fast, easy, no-mixer bars great for breakfast, snacks, or a healthy dessert! BIG crumbles and juicy berries are irresistible!